• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horf's new single: "Me & the Viv"

HawkItus

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawks/2013/sep/23/q-and-al-horford/

Q and A with Al Horford

By Chris Vivlamore

I sat down with Al Horford for a wide-ranging interview today. I will use some of our discussion in a couple of upcoming stories. However, I thought I would share the entire interview because he had some interesting things to say about such things as the new roster, his own off-season angst about it, Jeff Teague and Mike Scott.

Q. What are your thoughts as training camp approaches and you have a better handle on the roster that has been assembled? What is your role in it?

A. More than anything, I’m looking forward to getting everyone together and start working. I see myself as a very important piece to the team and I look to be the best that I can and at the same time it’s all about us gelling and building that chemistry as a team and that is going to determine how successful we are.

Q. Is it fair for me to ask if this is Al Horford’s team now? Do you look at it that way?

A. I think it’s fair to ask. People wonder. I’m the one that has been here the longest - which is crazy to me. I went to Florida, everybody knows that, and coach (Billy) Donovan always believed that it was always about the team. We are never focusing on one guy. That is the way I see it now. I think that we have a great group. We have a lot of new faces but I think if we want to get to where we want to get to, and be successful, we all need to come together and buy into what the coaches are telling us.

Q. You went through this situation last season with a roster that had a lot of turnover. Do you see similarities or differences this season?

A. There are big differences. Last year we had some guys who had been together. Josh (Smith) and I were here. Jeff (Teague) was here. Zaza (Pachulia) was here. We had a core group of guys. Now, it’s gotten reshuffled completely. It is a big difference. It’s intriguing. It’s a new coach. There are a lot of adjustments that have to be made. It’s not going to be easy but I think the quicker we are able to gel as a team I think the more successful we are going to be.

Q. Do you know anything about the system that coach Budenholzer is going to put in? Is it completely different than you have been running and how long will it take (to install) from a players’ perspective?

A. I honestly don’t know much about it. I keep hearing that it’s similar to San Antonio. We are running a lot of pick and rolls. We’ve been playing pick-up ball here for the last couple of weeks. I’m seeing some things. It seems like a pretty straightforward concept. I, obviously, haven’t had to learn all the plays. It’s going to be interesting. We are all going to be learning this together. I think the quicker we can pick it up the easier it’s going to be.

Q. You mention the core that was broken up. Josh was one of those players and you and he had good chemistry. He assisted on a large percentage of your baskets. Are you worried without him here it will make a difference for you? Will somebody else step into that role?

A. It’s going to be different. Josh is a great player. We had some good chemistry. It’s going to challenge, not only me but some of the other players to step up in different roles and do different things. It was unfortunate to see Josh go but I understand. At the end of the day I understand the business that we are in. He does as well. It’s up to us to adjust and find other ways.

Q. So much has been said about this team and that it had to be taken apart and rebuilt to get to the next level. Is that exciting for you? Or do you take a wait-and-see attitude to see if it will work or did we break it up for nothing?

A. More than anything, I have to trust in (General manager) Danny (Ferry) and his vision and where he is going. Even though at times, as people and as players, we can get caught up looking at what is in front of us and he might be looking two or three steps ahead. I might be upset with him like ‘Why did this happen? Why did this move happen?’ At the end of the day I do trust in his vision with this team and what he wants to accomplish. As a player I have to sit back and do my job.

Q. What were those moves?

A. “I was on edge of course. I’m not going to lie to you. I questioned certain things, like ‘What is going on here?’ I was like ‘We need to get Kyle back. We need to get Jeff back. What’s going on?’ I was definitely on edge about all the things. Once I realized how everything was going, I was like ‘They have a vision. They know that they are doing. I have to trust them.’ I have to make sure that I get better and just get ready.

Q. There were those few days with Jeff (signed to an offer sheet by the Bucks) and wondering if he would be back. It’s interesting that you would get caught up in it.

A. Totally. Just like Joe Fan. I’m a fan too. That’s my guy. With Jeff, we’ve got to get him in here. He’s the mortar of the team. I feel like he really gets us going. Last year when he was on top of his game, we were a totally different team. It’s important for him to be here. I know that he’s going to keep getting better.

Q. You do see Jeff progressing to be the point guard that every good NBA team needs?

A. I think he is starting to figure it out as a player. I really do. I was in here on Saturday. Everybody before the season is usually off or travelling somewhere. I’m in here and working out and I see Jeff coming down from the weight room. He was working out on a Saturday when everybody would typically be getting ready to watch some football. I think he’s starting to get it. He’s starting to get it as a player. He understands what he needs to do. That is exciting to see.

Q. One of the most interesting parts of this offseason was all the other big men that were brought in - obviously, Paul (Millsap) but also Elton (Brand), Pero (Antić) and Gustavo (Ayón). How do you see that working out? Are there minutes for everybody?

A. It’s going to be interesting. It’s really up for grabs these minutes. I think that Danny and coach Bud definitely know more than I do about some of these players and they see the potential in them. At this point, they need to blend in and fit in with us. We can’t forget about Mike Scott. He is the one who has made the most improvement that I have seen. By far he is in better shape than anyone. He is doing great. He is going to be somebody that people are going to sleep on but he’s going to be really good. He is looking great. He is in great shape. It’s about building a bond and a trust with these new bigs. We are going to have to do it by committee. There is no way around it.

Q. How long do you think it takes to build the kind of chemistry you’ve talked about?

A. We have a lot of veteran guys. I feel like they get it. It remains to be seen but I think it’s not going to take as long because we have a group of veterans. We have a group of guys who get it. As long as everyone stays healthy, I think we’ll be fine.

• Like 1

Well duh of course Jeff's not worried about football on Saturday, does Wake Forest even have a team?? LOL

And no offense to C-Viv here, but man his interviews suck. I think it's hilarious that he's having to add (free) to his Tweet's now since it seems the AJC are starting to realize that his articles aren't going to get many to pay for them. I barely even want to read the free one's.

Thanks for posting though Sultan.

• Like 1

2006 ACC Champs!

Oh God, I just realized that since 1992 that is tied with GT and Clemson. Also more than The U and all other NC schools.

LOL well you know The U was independent for a lot of those years and then in the Big East. We haven't been in the ACC that long and the whole time we have we've sucked. Slowing turning around though and finally have a decent team this year.

• Like 1

Trust me we weren't that good then either, we just had some quality players still playing there. We haven't been good since Coker left and even then we weren't The U. That hasn't been the case since Butch Davis was coach.I agree letting Coker go was dumb dumb dumb. I will have to check that video out later but looking forward to it.