• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Without a Lottery pick, what will Ferry do?

Jody23

• Premium Member

Sap will have plenty of value in the offseason as well so there's no need to rush and trade him by the deadline unless we get an offer we can't refuse.

Oh I agree and I personally doubt we'll deal him this season. Just curious to see what teams might offer approaching the deadline.

Oh I agree and I personally doubt we'll deal him this season. Just curious to see what teams might offer approaching the deadline.

Hard to say but I still think there's going to be an option to make a trade with the Rockets. Maybe not for Asik but maybe Jones and a pick or another young player. Let's hope another team loses a starting PF and they'll be in need of someone like Millsap.

OK, as far as a long term plan, how about this (I kinda touched on it in a previous post but let's "flesh it out").

Lets figure that DF/Bud don't see true tanking as a viable option. Still we have some very trade-able players. So without naming names and starting that argument - lets say come trade deadline DF makes a couple moves and gets us a couple mid to late round 1st round picks. (yeah..I think I've figured this out Posted Image ).

They then spend those picks on the best quality "coachable" players they can get. They get character guys (not "characters"). Kinda like drafting for O and D line guys in the NFL instead of the hot QB. Accumulate talent that is of a good enough quality that they can play but will still play in Bud's system. Accumulate talent to the point that we have 9 or 10 players that are dependable. Then if one guy shows out (like George has in Indy)...it's icing on the cake.

Even if none rise to star level we would have a quality hard-nosed team that can duke it out with the big boys.

I could certainly live with a draft where we don't have a shot at the "big 6" but have three shots at later 1st rounders.

• Like 1

• Moderators

OK, as far as a long term plan, how about this (I kinda touched on it in a previous post but let's "flesh it out").

Lets figure that DF/Bud don't see true tanking as a viable option. Still we have some very trade-able players. So without naming names and starting that argument - lets say come trade deadline DF makes a couple moves and gets us a couple mid to late round 1st round picks. (yeah..I think I've figured this out Posted Image ).

They then spend those picks on the best quality "coachable" players they can get. They get character guys (not "characters"). Kinda like drafting for O and D line guys in the NFL instead of the hot QB. Accumulate talent that is of a good enough quality that they can play but will still play in Bud's system. Accumulate talent to the point that we have 9 or 10 players that are dependable. Then if one guy shows out (like George has in Indy)...it's icing on the cake.

Even if none rise to star level we would have a quality hard-nosed team that can duke it out with the big boys.

I could certainly live with a draft where we don't have a shot at the "big 6" but have three shots at later 1st rounders.

If we're trading FOR picks then we'd be trading guys that are needed by contending teams. Who would that be? Milsap? Korver? Teague?

• Like 1

If we're trading FOR picks then we'd be trading guys that are needed by contending teams. Who would that be? Milsap? Korver? Teague?

If we are trading for picks from a contending team it will be a late teen to 20's pick. Is that what we are looking for?It will have to be a young player and a pick. A trade during the draft where a team that has been drafting high the last few years and have a bunch of young players and still can't make the playoffs (Cavs, Kings for example) but want to is also an option.

• Premium Member

If we are trading for picks from a contending team it will be a late teen to 20's pick. Is that what we are looking for?It will have to be a young player and a pick. A trade during the draft where a team that has been drafting high the last few years and have a bunch of young players and still can't make the playoffs (Cavs, Kings for example) but want to is also an option.

I could be wrong, but I have a difficult time seeing a team with a high pick in this draft dealing it for any of the players on our roster.

• Moderators

If we are trading for picks from a contending team it will be a late teen to 20's pick. Is that what we are looking for?It will have to be a young player and a pick.A trade during the draft where a team that has been drafting high the last few years and have a bunch of young players and still can't make the playoffs (Cavs, Kings for example) but want to is also an option.

Yes. That's kind of what I mean. I just don't see anyone who is not in the playoffs trading their picks away. So it would be to a team that is looking for veteran assets. While I like our team i'm not seeing a lot of guys that you are going to plug into a playoff team to make them better this year other than maybe Korver.

I could be wrong, but I have a difficult time seeing a team with a high pick in this draft dealing it for any of the players on our roste

Picks in this draft will be hard to come by in general.

It will not only be for a single player from our team for a pick. We would also include our 1st pick and player in exchange for a higher pick.

• Premium Member

Picks in this draft will be hard to come by in general.It will not only be for a single player from our team for a pick. We would also include our 1st pick and player in exchange for a higher pick.

I could possibly see our pick and a player IF our pick is near or in the lottery. If it's another mid to low first rounder, then it's going to be very difficult. We reportedly tried that approach of offering our pick (mid to late first rounder) and a player to move up in last years draft and a few drafts prior to that with no success.

I could possibly see our pick and a player IF our pick is near or in the lottery. If it's another mid to low first rounder, then it's going to be very difficult. We reportedly tried that approach of offering our pick (mid to late first rounder) and a player to move up in last years draft and a few drafts prior to that with no success.

We had no one on our roster last season besides Al, Jenkins and an injured Lou to offer.

San Antonio traded George Hill and their pick for Kawhi Leonard (#15 I think). These are the types of trades I'm talking about involving our players.

• Premium Member

We had no one on our roster last season besides Al, Jenkins and an injured Lou to offer.San Antonio traded George Hill and their pick for Kawhi Leonard (#15 I think). These are the types of trades I'm talking about involving our players.

I do beleive we tried it in years prior when we had more to offer and it didn't work. Now I do beleive we could possibly make deals to get a mid first rounder like the example you just gave. However, most of your mid first rounders aren't going to turn into Kahwi Leonard type players.

I do beleive we tried it in years prior when we had more to offer and it didn't work. Now I do beleive we could possibly make deals to get a mid first rounder like the example you just gave. However, most of your mid first rounders aren't going to turn into Kahwi Leonard type players.

take a look back at our roster the last few years before Ferry - did we really have anything to trade that teams wanted? besides Al no one wanted Joe (too much $$), Teague (couldn't see the court), Matvin (he's Marvin), Josh (they weren't trading him). Everybody is saying this is a can't miss deep draft (I'm not one of them) so hopefully we do find a Kawhi Leonard type if we are picking in that range.One thing I will say - Ferry cannot miss on this years pick regardless of the spot - we need an IMPACT player now who will see the floor to start the season. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

take a look back at our roster the last few years before Ferry - did we really have anything to trade that teams wanted? besides Al no one wanted Joe (too much $$), Teague (couldn't see the court), Matvin (he's Marvin), Josh (they weren't trading him). Everybody is saying this is a can't miss deep draft (I'm not one of them) so hopefully we do find a Kawhi Leonard type if we are picking in that range.One thing I will say - Ferry cannot miss on this years pick regardless of the spot.

Fair enough. Who do we have on this roster other than Sap that other teams will want? Also you say you don't think this years draft is that deep, but then you say Ferry can't miss regardless of the spot we pick in? Drafting position does play a factor and I wouldn't assume it's a foregone conclusion that Ferry is going to get a hit wherever we pick. Of his five picks with us thus far, only Mike Scott is getting meaningful playing time.
  • Like 1

Fair enough. Who do we have on this roster other than Sap that other teams will want? Also you say you don't think this years draft is that deep, but then you say Ferry can't miss regardless of the spot we pick in? Drafting position does play a factor and I wouldn't assume it's a foregone conclusion that Ferry is going to get a hit wherever we pick. Of his five picks with us thus far, only Mike Scott is getting meaningful playing time.

Let me clarify on the Ferry pick - I meant I don't want a project pick, I want an immediate contributer (I do know it's a crap shoot though).Korver and Teague - all it takes is one team that's been searching for a PG to get enamored with Teague (he'd better step it up, he's been bad recently). A team with a low post player in need of a shooter to spread the floor might want Korver. It will not be for a high 1st round pick but it could be for a young player and late/2nd pick - that way you accumulate more assests and picks to flip.It's such a moving target because certain teams want certain things based on what's already on their roster.As an example Memphis has Zbo and Gasol, adding KK helps spread the floor for them - they might be willing to give up that 1st because they are concerned about winning right now. We now have our pick and their pick to move up.

Fair enough. Who do we have on this roster other than Sap that other teams will want? ...

Well if we are going to talk players...one would think we could get a 1st rounder and maybe a young player (or expiring) for either Sap or Korver. Both would be great additions to a contending team...Sap being probably the more valuable...depending on the contender.

I doubt any contender would want Teague since he's a starting PG and they are likely set on that.

• Premium Member

Let me clarify on the Ferry pick - I meant I don't want a project pick, I want an immediate contributer (I do know it's a crap shoot though).Korver and Teague - all it takes is one team that's been searching for a PG to get enamored with Teague (he'd better step it up, he's been bad recently). A team with a low post player in need of a shooter to spread the floor might want Korver. It will not be for a high 1st round pick but it could be for a young player and late/2nd pick - that way you accumulate more assests and picks to flip.It's such a moving target because certain teams want certain things based on what's already on their roster.As an example Memphis has Zbo and Gasol, adding KK helps spread the floor for them - they might be willing to give up that 1st because they are concerned about winning right now. We now have our pick and their pick to move up.

Nothing about the picks Ferry has made with us suggests to me that we would go for immediate impact over project players. As far as Teague is concerned, we might be stuck with him. With the abundance of quality points in the league, I don't see teams clamoring to pay Teague 8 million per for what he does. And sure we could try and trade Korver for a late pick, but given his age, we're not likely to get anybody from a team like Memphis or anyone else that would help lay the foundation to become a contender.

• Premium Member

Well if we are going to talk players...one would think we could get a 1st rounder and maybe a young player (or expiring) for either Sap or Korver. Both would be great additions to a contending team...Sap being probably the more valuable...depending on the contender. I doubt any contender would want Teague since he's a starting PG and they are likely set on that.

What would a contender give up for Sap or Korver that would help make us a contender? Maybe they'd give up a late or future first rounder, but it wouldn't be a whole lot more than that. They'd be more interested in maintaining their present and future contender status. If we traded those guys for late round picks, it would just be setting us up to be a lottery team again. Edited by Jody23

What would a contender give up for Sap or Korver that would help make us a contender? Maybe they'd give up a late or future first rounder, but it wouldn't be a whole lot more than that. They'd be more interested in maintaining their present and future contender status. If we traded those guys for late round picks, it would just be setting us up to be a lottery team again.

There was a time we thought Joe and his contract was untradeable - don't tell me some team without an established PG might not give him a look (Kings/LAL) because of his contract.You missed the point about using the late pick plus our own pick to move up - it's not one and done.When OKC traded Harden - did they worry about making Houston a contender? If a team decides player A will push them closer to contention they make a deal, Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

There was a time we thought Joe and his contract was untradeable - don't tell me some team without an established PG might not give him a look (Kings/LAL) because of his contract.You missed the point about using the late pick plus our own pick to move up - it's not one and done.

How much further up do you think a mid and late first rounder will get us? How much further up did the two mid first round picks we were offering last year get us? Also, the Lakers are a championship organization because they don't choose to build around guys like Teague.
  • Like 1