• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Roster Reload: Atlanta Hawks

Reggie2555

@hawksfanatic What was his previous year's salary?

He was paid $4m last year...the caphold is 120% of his previous salary. I have no idea how he was paid that much last year. He wasn't worth that on the court, potentially he was a great locker room presence?

He was paid $4m last year...the caphold is 120% of his previous salary. I have no idea how he was paid that much last year. He wasn't worth that on the court, potentially he was a great locker room presence?

I meant in Dallas.

Locker room / leader / mentor and I imagine Ferry figured he's got the $$ so why not use it on a friend who could help us out.

I meant in Dallas.

$2.1 million

$16 million the year before!

Locker room / leader / mentor and I imagine Ferry figured he's got the $$ so why not use it on a friend who could help us out.

$2.1 million

Found it - Philly amnestied him and his $18 million salary - Dallas picked him up with a winning bid of $2.1 mil.

$2.1 million

Don't get those confused, Dallas picked up Elton from the Amnesty provision.

Elton was on the last year of his monster deal with the 76ers which paid him $18,160,355. The Mavs claimed him with a partial waiver claim of $2,100,500. (http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/2013/mavericks.jsp)

So Elton was paid $18m and Dallas paid $2.1m for him...so Dallas believed he was worth $2.1m...then the Hawks believed Elton was worth $4m...something fishy is going on here.

EDIT: I see that @JayBirdHawk beat me to it with the description...carry on.

Edited by hawksfanatic

• Moderators

Elton was on the last year of his monster deal with the 76ers which paid him $18,160,355. The Mavs claimed him with a partial waiver claim of $2,100,500. (http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/2013/mavericks.jsp)

So Elton was paid $18m and Dallas paid $2.1m for him...so Dallas believed he was worth $2.1m...then the Hawks believed Elton was worth $4m...something fishy is going on here.

I don't think the Mavs thought he was 'worth' 2.1. That's just all they needed to pay to get him as their were probably not that many able or needing to bid for his services. Only certain teams can bid right? depending on their cap space. So no point out bidding themselves. Once he hit real FA it was a different story probably with other suitors.

I don't think the Mavs thought he was 'worth' 2.1. That's just all they needed to pay to get him as their were probably not that many able or needing to bid for his services. Only certain teams can bid right? depending on their cap space. So no point out bidding themselves. Once he hit real FA it was a different story probably with other suitors.

Aw man, now I gotta look back at who had Cap Space that year?

Yes, the Mavs were only bidding against other teams with Cap Space. So the market was limited to teams that could bid on amnestied players. But I doubt on the open market that Elton would be worth $4m in the 2012 offseason. Maybe I'm wrong on that?

What the heck? He's a tremendous asset to the young guys and he disrupts the opposing offense in the paint. I'd love to have EB back for around 2.5 million.

Don't get me wrong I'm very appreciative for what he did for us last season. I just feel that he's gonna be a year older and thus more prone to injuries. We got lucky with his health last season. I wouldn't wanna roll the dice again this season though. Just my opinion. We shall see though. No arguments as far as his leadership and lockeroom benefits though.

Yep @JayBirdHawk already beat ya to it. I was looking at it on my phone so didn't notice that they were the same year for those salaries.

Don't get me wrong I'm very appreciative for what he did for us last season. I just feel that he's gonna be a year older and thus more prone to injuries. We got lucky with his health last season. I wouldn't wanna roll the dice again this season though. Just my opinion. We shall see though. No arguments as far as his leadership and lockeroom benefits though.

I wouldn't expect EB to get injured as he's not really super athletic anymore and won't do anything out of the ordinary to injure himself. I want him here teaching Moose, Bebe, Horf, Sap, etc all the tricks of the trade and you can't put a price tag on that. I'm not saying I want him here as a starter but I'd absolutely rather have him than Ayón and Antić.

I wouldn't expect EB to get injured as he's not really super athletic anymore and won't do anything out of the ordinary to injure himself. I want him here teaching Moose, Bebe, Horf, Sap, etc all the tricks of the trade and you can't put a price tag on that. I'm not saying I want him here as a starter but I'd absolutely rather have him than Ayón and Antić.

That's true he would be an excellent mentor. He was never super athletic throughout his career and still got injured with the Sixers a few years back. He does have a lot of tricks that's for sure. He is also strong like bull.

The role your describing seems more apt for an assistant coach than a player who can't offer much on the court.

The role your describing seems more apt for an assistant coach than a player who can't offer much on the court.

Except Brand does offer a lot on the court. He's no 20/10 guy anymore but he's still a stud rebounding and defending the rim. Easily the best backup 5 we've had in a very long time.

Except Brand does offer a lot on the court. He's no 20/10 guy anymore but he's still a stud rebounding and defending the rim. Easily the best backup 5 we've had in a very long time.

You'd take him over Zaza? He was the only player worse than Antić in that series (to be fair he also was given a role too large for him). I know he was recognized as the 4th best teammate in the league or something but I'd rather see him on the bench than the court.
  • Like 1

You'd take him over Zaza? He was the only player worse than Antić in that series (to be fair he also was given a role too large for him). I know he was recognized as the 4th best teammate in the league or something but I'd rather see him on the bench than the court.

Yes because I value defense and rebounding over missing shots and getting your own rebound lol. Seriously though I love Z but he was average at best and while Brand is no star anymore he's still fundamentally sound whereas Z was never really about fundamentals, he was just about toughness.

Yes because I value defense and rebounding over missing shots and getting your own rebound lol. Seriously though I love Z but he was average at best and while Brand is no star anymore he's still fundamentally sound whereas Z was never really about fundamentals, he was just about toughness.

Agreed - I'd rather have EB on the 1 year deal and healthy as opposed to Zaza on a 3yr/15 million dollar deal and missing 29 games.

I do miss Zaza though.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Maybe I need to start appreciating him more lol. I dunno, Zaza's energy to me made him a better backup, though Milwaukee can keep him with that foolish contact they gave him.

I like Zaza and do miss him but you definitely need to appreciate EB more. He actually had the 3rd highest offensive and defensive ratings on our team this year, although those are flawed since he played fewer minutes than most of our players at only 20 mpg, which isn't bad though for someone who's been in the league forever. He had the 3rd highest defensive win shares as well, behind Millsap and DMC. Win shares per 48? Of course 3rd best there as well. Total rebound % was 4th but that's only because Dexter Pittman and his 3 minutes played are #1, but take him out and you've got Ayón, Horford and then Brand. Block % he was far and away #1 at almost 5%.

Check out the 2014 comparison between Brand and Zaza, where Brand wins every category.

Brand (2014)

MPG - 19.4

TS% - .561

TRB% - 14.8

Block% - 4.9

ORating - 110 (higher is better - 100 is average)

DRating - 103 (lower is better - 100 is average)

WS - 3.6

WS/48 - .121

Zaza (2014)

MPG - 25.0

TS% - .502

TRB% - 14.4

Block% - 0.9

ORating - 105 (higher is better - 100 is average)

DRating - 111 (lower is better - 100 is average)

WS - 1.7

WS/48 - .060

In fact, you gotta go find Zaza's career best year to find a season in which he compared with EB this year.

Brand (2014)

MPG - 19.4

TS% - .561

TRB% - 14.8

Block% - 4.9

ORating - 110 (higher is better - 100 is average)

DRating - 103 (lower is better - 100 is average)

WS - 3.6

WS/48 - .121

Zaza (2007 - career best year)

MPG - 28.1

TS% - .562

TRB% - 14.9

Block% - 1.4

ORating - 108 (higher is better - 100 is average)

DRating - 106 (lower is better - 100 is average)

WS - 4.8

WS/48 - .114