• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A View from the Other Side

curtmcgirt

Everyone criticized Ferry because he wasn't following any of the supposed tried and true "models" of team building. Instead the dude focused on making the best and smartest decision's possible. I always agreed with his approach and I'm happy it has worked out better than anyone could have anticipated. A dream come true for us Hawk's fans.

Not everyone agreed. I argued up and down about how the Pacers built their team with 1st round picks in their teens and later and good team chemistry. Sure they had PG but he's not enough to take this sorry bunch from where they are now to the #1 seed on his own. Of course nobody thought we'd turn it around to this level or at least this quickly regardless of what we did but I'll happily serve the tankers crow for a few meals. 

• Like 1

There were many, not just a few, who said we should have signed Al Jefferson instead of Sap, Should have traded Al,  shouldn't have matched for Teague, overpaid for Korver.     But let's face it, I'm not sure anyone envisioned this working so well.

Even last year Teague wasn't worth 8 million because of his inconsistency. This years Teague has more than made up for that deficit. I wanted Teague when all 3 of Ellis, Jennings and Teague were getting the same salary as long as it was around 7-8 million but was hoping to get Jennings for less than any of them. I'm glad that I was wrong there, although I still think a healthy Jennings at a reduced salary is a steal for a starting PG. Teague is maybe my favorite Hawk now although that changes often.  

I was thrilled with the contract we got Sap for, although his signing really surprised me and many (myself included) were still down about not getting CP3 and D12. He's vastly exceeded my expectations and he might be the best FA signing value in Hawks history.

I probably would have traded Al by now as I didn't think he could turn his defense up to the level Bud has gotten him to. I also didn't expect he'd become an 80% shooter either! Glad I was wrong about trading him as well.

Nothing would be sweeter than eating crow over all those times I said we need a superstar to win a championship while looking at this (with a 2015 on it):

2014-nba-playoffs-atlanta-hawks-champion

We've got post-season work to do before we put a dent in all those years driving the narrative "you are extremely unlikely to win a championship without a superstar" and nothing would make me happier than seeing that work completed!

Also, add the replace the 'ughh' logo with the PAC logo. And add yellow diamonds as the basketball on top of the trophy.

I think the PAC logo brought some fans back as well. It was well-liked, and well-received when it returned. Vince Vaughan wore the PAC t-shirt on the intern. Made me proud.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Nothing would be sweeter than eating crow over all those times I said we need a superstar to win a championship while looking at this (with a 2015 on it):

2014-nba-playoffs-atlanta-hawks-champion

We've got post-season work to do before we put a dent in all those years driving the narrative "you are extremely unlikely to win a championship without a superstar" and nothing would make me happier than seeing that work completed!

IMO it's already been done plenty of times. You look at the PER and Win shares of the best players on several championship teams and they aren't much better than the Hawks' best players right now. The Kobe + Pau + Bynum Laker championship teams; the late Spurs teams, the Pistons team just off the top of my head. Our top three stack up extremely comparably to those teams' top three, often times outperforming them statistically!

Of course if the definition of a superstar is jacking up 20 shots a game and having 20 different sponsorship deals than the Hawks fall short. If you define superstars by the level of production on the court on both ends of the court, than I'd argue the Hawks have plenty of them on this team.

Just like the Minnesota article pointed out, people are acting like the Hawks are winning on scheme alone when in reality as much of a factor has been the largely ignored fact that Horf, Teague, Korver + Paul are putting up a year that can rival some of the top four players on many great championship teams IMO. I think part of it is the fact that since our starters are playing only around 30 mpg (due to our equally championship caliber production from the bench) the raw numbers don't look that impressive, but looking at the per 36 mins stats you'd say our team is loaded with studs this year.

• Like 2

IMO it's already been done plenty of times. You look at the PER and Win shares of the best players on several championship teams and they aren't much better than the Hawks' best players right now. The Kobe + Pau + Bynum Laker championship teams; the late Spurs teams, the Pistons team just off the top of my head. Our top three stack up extremely comparably to those teams' top three, often times outperforming them statistically!

Of course if the definition of a superstar is jacking up 20 shots a game and having 20 different sponsorship deals than the Hawks fall short. If you define superstars by the level of production on the court on both ends of the court, than I'd argue the Hawks have plenty of them on this team.

Just like the Minnesota article pointed out, people are acting like the Hawks are winning on scheme alone when in reality as much of a factor has been the largely ignored fact that Horf, Teague, Korver + Paul are putting up a year that can rival some of the top four players on many great championship teams IMO. I think part of it is the fact that since our starters are playing only around 30 mpg (due to our equally championship caliber production from the bench) the raw numbers don't look that impressive, but looking at the per 36 mins stats you'd say our team is loaded with studs this year.

Nice points and it seems like this sentiment may be gaining steam nationally.

I'm shocked at NBARadio today with Antonio Davis and some random dude (Noah Koslov).  A caller called in saying he can't see the Cavs losing to a team like Atlanta because they don't have that one guy that can "stop LeiBrun" or STTE.

Koslov said, "Uh, how many times have you seen the Hawks play defense?"  Davis said, "So tell me how you expect the Cavs to defend a team like the Hawks in a series?"  Said the Hawks are probably the best defensive team in the league and it's no longer about stopping one guy or STTE.

I nearly drove off the road.  Now that I think about it, with the Hawks getting national love, did I drive off the road?  Am I dead?

Nice points and it seems like this sentiment may be gaining steam nationally.

I'm shocked at NBARadio today with Antonio Davis and some random dude (Noah Koslov).  A caller called in saying he can't see the Cavs losing to a team like Atlanta because they don't have that one guy that can "stop LeiBrun" or STTE.

Koslov said, "Uh, how many times have you seen the Hawks play defense?"  Davis said, "So tell me how you expect the Cavs to defend a team like the Hawks in a series?"  Said the Hawks are probably the best defensive team in the league and it's no longer about stopping one guy or STTE.

I nearly drove off the road.  Now that I think about it, with the Hawks getting national love, did I drive off the road?  Am I dead?

If you did die I hope you come back as Danny Ferry's underwear :)

If you did die I hope you come back as Danny Ferry's underwear :)

Lol, Michael Jordan laughing gif. Lol.

Like the thread title, @kg01 has crossed over to the otherside.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

If you did die I hope you come back as Danny Ferry's underwear smile3.gif

Considering how many Ferry nuthuggers there are on the site, there must be a lot of zombies with HS accounts.

Lol, Michael Jordan laughing gif. Lol.

Like the thread title, @kg01 has crossed over to the otherside.

e tu Jaybird?  e tu?

Don't let Dolf steer you to the darkside.  He's taken so many others.