DeMarre Carroll

saturn1975

I don't know "Saturn"...you have posted once or twice and I have followed this team for many years and posted over eleven thousand times.  What do you really think?  I am not one to welcome a stranger without a pedigree.

Personally I think we p!ssed away our future with BK (and are finally getting back "on keel") and our ownership is borderline at best.  What do you think about that?

Wtf? Where did that come from?

He's better than Bruce. He is actually a decent player regardless of system but he shines with us.

I agree. I think he has a better skill set than Bowen did. However, Bowen became an integral part of the Spurs championship runs by doing all the non glamorous stuff, mainly guarding the other teams best perimeter players and hitting timely corner 3s. DeMarre does the same for us. However, the national media and audience are sleeping on him. They don't realize how much of a glue guy he is for us. When they see him play on the playoffs, they will start respecting him like they did Bruce Bowen.

I'm wondering if some people are forgetting the inflated contracts that started getting handed to 3&D players last offseason? We lucked out and picked Carroll off the scrapheap two years ago for 2 years at $2.5m per year. Then after the Spurs pounded their way to the Championship, combined with a lot more teams emphasizing spacing-style offensive systems the price for those 3&D players skyrocketted last year.

Heck, Deng got $9m even at his age. And we had to give Thabo $4m per year ($1.5m more per year than who he is backing up) to a guy his own team had written off as washed up. It's just a recent trend that those guys are becoming much more valuable, and have more suitors than in the past. Like I mentioned before, Draymond Green is being legitimately talked about being offered a Max or near-Max contract next year when he's a free agent: he's not a superstar. He's merely a better, and younger, version of Carroll. Anyone offering him that kind of money before the recent interest in some of these 3&D players would have been considered insane. It still is, yet a lot of people seem convinced it is going to happen.

We'll see how it plays out and I hope we get the hometown discount from Carroll. But I'm thinking to get him resigned with us will take at least Korver type money ($6m per year) and quite possibly as much as $9m per year depending on how much other teams offer him. You've got to keep in mind at his age, this is his last chance to get a decent payday. I'm sure he would take a little less than his max offer to stay with us, but we've got to be in the ballpark for that to happen.

Edited by RandomFan

I'm wondering if some people are forgetting the inflated contracts that started getting handed to 3&D players last offseason? We lucked out and picked Carroll off the scrapheap two years ago for 2 years at $2.5m per year. Then after the Spurs pounded their way to the Championship, combined with a lot more teams emphasizing spacing-style offensive systems the price for those 3&D players skyrocketted last year.

Heck, Deng got $9m even at his age. And we had to give Thabo $4m per year ($1.5m more per year than who he is backing up) to a guy his own team had written off as washed up. It's just a recent trend that those guys are becoming much more valuable, and have more suitors than in the past. Like I mentioned before, Draymond Green is being legitimately talked about being offered a Max or near-Max contract next year when he's a free agent: he's not a superstar. He's merely a better, and younger, version of Carroll. Anyone offering him that kind of money before the recent interest in some of these 3&D players would have been considered insane. It still is, yet a lot of people seem convinced it is going to happen.

We'll see how it plays out and I hope we get the hometown discount from Carroll. But I'm thinking to get him resigned with us will take at least Korver type money ($6m per year) and quite possibly as much as $9m per year depending on how much other teams offer him. You've got to keep in mind at his age, this is his last chance to get a decent payday. I'm sure he would take a little less than his max offer to stay with us, but we've got to be in the ballpark for that to happen.

Yeah, the Draymond Max thing is driving me crazy too. I like the kid, everyone does, but come on. 5 years/ $40 mil should satisfy him totally after making just over 900 K. You'd think people would recognize he's playing alongside the Greatest Player of All F$&kin Time right now, that might inflate his value and impact.

I think now is when the outstanding city that is Atlanta finally starts to influence these guys now that we have a sustainable franchise model in place. DeMarre is close to home, too. He realizes he won't shine nearly as much without Bud, who has put so much time and effort into his game. He'll be just some guy for another lame coach who'll glue him to the bench once he allows a big performance from a wing because he's the only defender or goes cold from 3. Bud encourages him during struggles. You can't leave this situation if you're him, Danny will treat him right at the bargaining table.

Edited by benhillboy