• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If we get a top pick, Towns or Okafor

NBASupes

• Premium Member

Russell is a solid player, but if we are in position to take Okafor, you take Okafor. Russell is a pg (maybe a combo) and that's a position of strength for us.

I'm just not sold on Towns and actually prefer WCS to him. I love his length, shot blocking ability, and rim protection.

IMO we need either a wing or a center. Here's my board:

1. Okafor

2. Stanley Johnson

3. WCS

4. Winslow

5. Towns

6. Hezonja

7. Oubre

That's not necesarily best available, but positions of need.

I'm not sold on Russell as a PG. I think he's a 2 guard forced to handle it more much like Brandon Roy at Washington. His passing ability is a plus though.

Towns.

Okafor is a poor man's Brook sLopez.

What did I just read? This may be the most off base comment I've ever seen on here

I haven't followed a lot of NCAA basketball this year, but I have seen a few games of Duke and there is no way I would take Winslow over Hezonja. That doesn't mean I don't like Winslow, I really like him.

Winslow is much better physically, but Hezonja doesn't have bad athleticism, in fact he has good athleticism, not elite but good. But Mario has the ability to create his own shot and I can see that IT factor that just a few players have. I have never seen such a good young wing in Europe.

If we get a top8 pick we will be able to take a great player, or even a top10, which isn't very difficult. I'm enthusiastic about our options in this draft.

Justice has the ability to create his own shot he just doesn't do it much bc that's not the way our offense is set up. You saw that in the game against Clemson that he can easily take over games when needed.

What did I just read? This may be the most off base comment I've ever seen on here

Spoken like a true Duke fan.

Strengths - size, polished, back-to-basket big man

Weaknesses - Not a great athlete, rebounder or shotblocker.

Which of those doesn't sound like sLopez?

Have you watched him play or did you just read his scouting report? And then you called him a POOR MANS Brooke Lopez....really?

Bc while that may read similar to a Lopez scouting report the on the court product is completely different.

• Like 1

Have you watched him play or did you just read his scouting report? And then you called him a POOR MANS Brooke Lopez....really?

Bc while that may read similar to a Lopez scouting report the on the court product is completely different.

Yeah, I've seen him play a few times including against our mediocre bigs at GT (who made him look pretty average).  I just came away thinking, yeah there's a great skillset there but that's not the future star he's billed as being.

No, he and sLopez aren't identical but I do think in terms of impact on the game they'll be similar.  Will give some O, not much D.  I'm not saying he'll be a bum but he'll certainly struggle to adjust to 'grown men' in the NBA.

And, yes, my "poor man's Lopez" comment was just to chide you a bit.

He's bad at help defense and doesn't change a lot of shots...he's pretty good on the ball tho. His rebounding isn't bad he just doesn't have the athletic ability to rebound outside of his area. He will be an Al Jefferson type with much better passing ability and more fluidity to his game. The Brooke Lopez thing is just off.

He's bad at help defense and doesn't change a lot of shots...he's pretty good on the ball tho. His rebounding isn't bad he just doesn't have the athletic ability to rebound outside of his area. He will be an Al Jefferson type with much better passing ability and more fluidity to his game. The Brooke Lopez thing is just off.

He reminds me much more of Pau Gasol (not when he entered the draft where he was really thin, but when he was traded to the Lakers and was heavier).

Pau was never a great defender but he did great when needed and has always been a great leader. Okafor has top skills and BBIQ. I see a lot of coincidences.

He is not Brook Lopez, he has a different attitude on the floor. 

What's the Russell kid like in your eyes?  I've seen him once and it appears the Roy comparison is an apt one.  Only thing is it looks like he's a guy that needs to pound the ball a bit more than we'd like.

Is my 1-game assessment off?

My bad for the late notice, but I think Roy is a solid comparison, but I think somewhere between Curry and Ginobili works more for me. I worry that his lack of strength could hold him back but he's a sick shooter and passer.

Edit: Should add, I've had a busy year so I haven't watched the NCAA as much as I usually would.

Edited by TheFuzz