• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If we get a top pick, Towns or Okafor

NBASupes

Watching this Duke game right now, I lied and prefer Okafor.  His defense worried me but Bud should be able to get him to play better defense (hypothetically), kid has so many intangibles.

The one thing that stood out to me was Bud said if you can't move and defend as a big, you aren't gonna make it with Bud. I think Towns will be the guy. Better fit, also Dominican and played with Al. High BBIQ and has range. 

• Like 1

Towns.  All day every day. But that's just because I'm dying to gets some Cats on this roster.  

TBH, Okafor may very well be a better player, but I try avoiding watching Duke if possible (boy am I glad I missed the Laettner years).  Besides, haven't we already done the Dukie Center thing before?  

• Premium Member

Russell would be the sexy pick. Kid has a lot of skills at a young age. He's being compared to Brandon Roy who would be ideal for this team if his knees weren't shot. But with rebounding being a problem, Okafor or Towns would be the sensible choice.

• Like 1

I'm sure it will surprise no one, but I'd go with Okafor. While I think he's been a tad overhyped by some of the college analysts, he's still the best option with the highest ceiling coming out of college. His offensive skill set is as good as I've seen in college and there's no one in college and few in the pros who can stop him one on one. He demands a double team everytime he touches it. He's also an incredible passer out of the post and will only get better. Not to mention he's an incredible person.

I wish that he were a bit more athletic though and more of a rim protector. And the criticisms of his defense are right on. But that's something that can be corrected with time. Remember, he's only a freshman.

Unfortuntately we won't have the privilege of drafting him. But if by some miracle we get the chance, he's too good to pass up.

The one thing that stood out to me was Bud said if you can't move and defend as a big, you aren't gonna make it with Bud. I think Towns will be the guy. Better fit, also Dominican and played with Al. High BBIQ and has range. 

True, I don't think Towns would bust here under AL's mentorship. The only reason I think Okafor can fit here is I see him as a guy you can build your offense around, his passing and court vision are already advanced for the collegiate level. That seems extremely useful to have a low post scoring option to defer to on cold shooting nights. To me we can't go wrong with Towns, Okafor, or Russell.

What's the Russell kid like in your eyes?  I've seen him once and it appears the Roy comparison is an apt one.  Only thing is it looks like he's a guy that needs to pound the ball a bit more than we'd like.

Is my 1-game assessment off?

Russell is a solid player, but if we are in position to take Okafor, you take Okafor. Russell is a pg (maybe a combo) and that's a position of strength for us.

I'm just not sold on Towns and actually prefer WCS to him. I love his length, shot blocking ability, and rim protection.

IMO we need either a wing or a center. Here's my board:

1. Okafor

2. Stanley Johnson

3. WCS

4. Winslow

5. Towns

6. Hezonja

7. Oubre

That's not necesarily best available, but positions of need.

Russell is a solid player, but if we are in position to take Okafor, you take Okafor. Russell is a pg (maybe a combo) and that's a position of strength for us.

I'm just not sold on Towns and actually prefer WCS to him. I love his length, shot blocking ability, and rim protection.

IMO we need either a wing or a center. Here's my board:

1. Okafor

2. Stanley Johnson

3. WCS

4. Winslow

5. Towns

6. Hezonja

7. Oubre

That's not necesarily best available, but positions of need.

I haven't followed a lot of NCAA basketball this year, but I have seen a few games of Duke and there is no way I would take Winslow over Hezonja. That doesn't mean I don't like Winslow, I really like him.

Winslow is much better physically, but Hezonja doesn't have bad athleticism, in fact he has good athleticism, not elite but good. But Mario has the ability to create his own shot and I can see that IT factor that just a few players have. I have never seen such a good young wing in Europe. 

If we get a top8 pick we will be able to take a great player, or even a top10, which isn't very difficult. I'm enthusiastic about our options in this draft.

^You might be right. I've seen highlights of Hezonja and that's about it. But I've watched every Duke game and Winslow has a really high ceiling. I think he's a poor man's Lebron in terms of style. He's a consistent jumper away from being a top 5 pick. For selfish reasons I hope that he stays another year in college, but Duke insiders are starting to think that he makes the leap.

And my favorite thing about Winslow is that he's a fierce competitor. He just fits the mold for what ATL is trying to do. But I'd love to have Hezonja as well.

• Like 1