• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

PETITION: Keep Danny Ferry

sturt

There are so many media outlets that have come out in support of Ferry. If ppl like Magic Johnson and even Luol himself have forgiven and forgotten, it seems he does DESERVE another chance. We all make mistakes. He didn't hurt anyone and there is zero other instances to support the words he spoke are his own general views. Yes, the new owners should absolutely decide who next GM is. If they decide it shouldn't be Ferry, then we will know it is for PR reasons and not logical not basketball reasons.

I'm not saying Ferry hasn't done a good job. He has. He hit a grand slam with Bud and it's unlikely he would have come here without Ferry. He deserves immense credit for that.

But there's a reason he's in exile and the team was sold and the new owners would be entirely within their rights to wash their hands of the whole situation. And just regarding basketball he's not infallible at all. That's a bad track record on first round picks, and teams like the Hawks have to get talent in the draft to compete. He's done great in the second round, he's done great at getting the right guys in free agency, and it's unfair to a degree that now that the team can actually attract some top free agent talent he's in exile, but that's a bed entirely of his own making.

Full disclosure: I wrote that post yesterday in a fit of pique watching us have no answer for Lopez. I'm not going to be mad if we keep Ferry.

• Like 1

There are so many media outlets that have come out in support of Ferry. If ppl like Magic Johnson and even Luol himself have forgiven and forgotten, it seems he does DESERVE another chance. We all make mistakes. He didn't hurt anyone and there is zero other instances to support the words he spoke are his own general views. Yes, the new owners should absolutely decide who next GM is. If they decide it shouldn't be Ferry, then we will know it is for PR reasons and not logical not basketball reasons.

Eh, I don't think he "deserves" it, but I could see the new owners bringing him back.  If he's not asked back then so be it.

There are some compelling basketball reasons to not have him back.  Both his 1st rounders and FAgency have been shaky.  I wouldn't automatically say it's PR stuff.  At this point the PR stuff has subsided to a vast degree.  As you said, many have come out in his defense including the main party impacted by the situation (Deng).

Eh, I don't think he "deserves" it, but I could see the new owners bringing him back.  If he's not asked back then so be it.

There are some compelling basketball reasons to not have him back.  Both his 1st rounders and FAgency have been shaky.  I wouldn't automatically say it's PR stuff.  At this point the PR stuff has subsided to a vast degree.  As you said, many have come out in his defense including the main party impacted by the situation (Deng).

It looks like you missed the link I posted on page 3.

Here it is again

http://hoopshype.com/articles/hoopshype/knicks-had-the-worst-bang-for-the-buck-in-the-nba-this-season

I'm not sure what you consider to be good if you think his work in free agency has been shaky.

It looks like you missed the link I posted on page 3.

Here it is again

http://hoopshype.com/articles/hoopshype/knicks-had-the-worst-bang-for-the-buck-in-the-nba-this-season

I'm not sure what you consider to be good if you think his work in free agency has been shaky.

No, I understand what you mean (and I understand that I'm about to split some major hairs here), but it's not like the team we have was the plan all along.

It has certainly ended up well, but should we go into every offseason expecting the 1st rounder to be jettisoned for (arguably) nothing, the 1st (and likely 2nd) choices in FAgency to spurn us and to end up with 2 guys who have turnaround seasons?

Hey, I love it but a lot of what's happened for us was NOT expected so to present the results (your link) and just ignore how we got here is incomplete.

If we fail to reach the ECF; why bring him back?  This team still lacks a go to guy or even one who can create his own shot without it getting blocked, blowing the lay ups or air balling a three.  IMO, I'll hold out on any petitioning for Ferry until this team shows PLAYOFF improvement.

No, I understand what you mean (and I understand that I'm about to split some major hairs here), but it's not like the team we have was the plan all along.

It has certainly ended up well, but should we go into every offseason expecting the 1st rounder to be jettisoned for (arguably) nothing, the 1st (and likely 2nd) choices in FAgency to spurn us and to end up with 2 guys who have turnaround seasons?

Hey, I love it but a lot of what's happened for us was NOT expected so to present the results (your link) and just ignore how we got here is incomplete.

I think you are stretching pretty hard if you are going to try and blame the franchise's past shortcomings on Ferry.  Gasol didn't spurn us because of Ferry.  Gasol spurned us because the Hawks have been looked at as a treadmill team and bad organization for 15 years.  In year 1, the team was torn down.  In year 2, it was rebuilt and progress was slowed by a serious rash of injuries.  If we stay healthy in year 2, we likely have a very good shot at landing Gasol.  After all, we were 30-16 when one of (Horford, Pero,Brand) started alongside Teague.Korver.Carroll.Millsap.

Now, in just 3 years, we are in a position to catch the eye of bigger named free agents while having a team full of good to bargain level contracts.

I think you need to be a little more realistic when it comes to growth patterns if you find this schedule unacceptable.  I also think you will be severely disappointed if you think someone else will come in and make the rise occur faster.

There are 30 teams and maybe 2 top actual attainable FA's every year.  How are you going to act like it should be a given that we obtain one of these near untouchable players when our team had built no identity or contending status beforehand?

What was the plan then?  Did we not go for Millsap and DMC early in free agency.  Did we not trade for Korver.  You act likese players got here by accident. 

You try to dismiss the great job that Ferry has done as mediocre but then you say that he couldn't possibly have known it would go this well.  So you are basically trying to negate his performance while also giving him props for doing a better job than anyone could have ever imagined.

Eh, I don't think he "deserves" it, but I could see the new owners bringing him back. If he's not asked back then so be it.

There are some compelling basketball reasons to not have him back. Both his 1st rounders and FAgency have been shaky. I wouldn't automatically say it's PR stuff. At this point the PR stuff has subsided to a vast degree. As you said, many have come out in his defense including the main party impacted by the situation (Deng).

Yeah but I cannot give Bud complete credit for the success of our team. And we wouldn't even have sniffed coach Bud if it wasn't for Ferry. This was the BEST regular season in Hawks history. It's crazy not to give credit to Danny for that. And there are way higher draft picks that have been busts, in fact most. There are only a handful of guys drafted after us that have turned out to be successful. Yes we passed on a few that would have helped us, but he more than made up for it in FA and with his second rounders.

@JETSET and @Ruckus, I think my response is the same to both of you.  No one's saying he doesn't deserve credit.

My overall comment on Ferry is an argument can be made that he's not the greatest GM to lace up his wingtips.  He's had some good, some bad.  That's true for just about every GM in the history of sports.  The notion that we cannot be/do/achieve anything absent the grace and mercy of Ferry is simply untrue.

...or what about the alternative: suppose Ferry did get his first option. Might this team be better? Worse? Not sure. But I have always been dumbfounded by the "Hey, he didn't even want this team! Or expect it to be good!" as if somehow a gun was pointed to Ferry's head when he made the Millsap signing. Or DeMarre...or that DeMarre's signing was Bud's idea (who cares? clearly Danny thought it was good enough to go through with). And somehow, people want to interject what they believe Ferry thought of this team, the so called "hey I didn't think this team would be good, so clearly Danny didn't either and all of the results are pure luck!" But in every interview with Ferry (even our 38 win team) he has said something along the lines of "I like our guys, I think we can compete" or what have you. He's never gone a Phil Jackson route of talking about how much the losing today will help tomorrow.

The reaching of some on this board to discredit Ferry is laughable at times. It's almost as if portions of the board have decided discrediting Ferry is the only way they can justify getting rid of him at this point, which at least that is a step in the right direction. I think previously, we had a portion of this board wanting to fire Ferry because "OMG so racist, GTFO can never forgive him for that!" ... which that seems to have subsided over time.

and then they will bash Ferry for drafting Payne and give Bud a pass when Bud surely had a say in who was picked.

I don't think your previous posts come off the way you intended then. It sounds like you want to say that the team can still do well without Ferry, but it comes off as more of a "Dude, Ferry isn't the Pope! Get real, he's not even that great at drafting or free agency. We can do better."

Which is strange, because there isn't a single person in the world that does a job and everyone looks at it like "WOW, what they did right there? That cannot be improved upon." So posters are taking offense to that, because, ya know, you could put that same exact critique to every GM in the NBA right now. RC Buford? Dude, GTFO remember when he signed Rasho Nesterovich? HORRIBLE! Why don't they take that drunken asshole and kick him out of the job?

So I think a lot of posters are understandably confused by what you're saying versus what you mean. Discrediting him is what you're saying, but it appears you mean to suggest the team can still do well without him. (of course, then the whole discussion changes to whether or not Bud will stick around...)

Lol, I actually agree with your assessment.  I disagree with the notion that Ferry's beyond reproach but I do think he should be given a lot of credit.

More importantly, I loved Rasho Nesterovich because I thought his name was made up.

Lol, I actually agree with your assessment.  I disagree with the notion that Ferry's beyond reproach but I do think he should be given a lot of credit.

More importantly, I loved Rasho Nesterovich because I thought his name was made up.

haha.gif

When all else fails, start backtracking.

Edited by JETSET

haha.gif

When all else fails, start backtracking.

You like to argue, huh?

Not backtracking, you and I are having different conversations.  You have a burr in your saddle with anything perceived as non-Ferry lovin' so you go overboard in your praise.  Whether you agree/disagree with my comment, fine, you win.

In post #58 I gave you my bottom line on the matter.  That is all.

Now if you want to discuss Rasho Nesterovich, I'm all ears.

You like to argue, huh?

Not backtracking, you and I are having different conversations.  You have a burr in your saddle with anything perceived as non-Ferry lovin' so you go overboard in your praise.  Whether you agree/disagree with my comment, fine, you win.

In post #58 I gave you my bottom line on the matter.  That is all.

Now if you want to discuss Rasho Nesterovich, I'm all ears.

A slow day at work + too much time in between game days brought me here. 

I'm not against all anti-Ferry statements, just the ones that are nonsensical. 

I will be the first to agree that his 1st round drafting has been poor.  I just can't agree when the same is said about his acquisitions through free agency.

Game 4 needs to start already. 

Edited by JETSET

A slow day at work + too much time in between game days brought me here. 

I'm not against all anti-Ferry statements, just the ones that are nonsensical.

I will be the first to agree that his 1st round drafting has been poor.  I just can't agree when the same is said about his acquisitions through free agency.

Ohhhhh, who's backtrackin' now!!!!

No, I'm kidding.  I hear you and I don't think we differ all that much on the matter.  I think the Ferry/anti-Ferry argument has run it's course.  At this point we all should be in wait 'n see mode.

Lastly, let's be honest.  You can't focus at work since it's gameday.  I know that's my excuse.

Ohhhhh, who's backtrackin' now!!!!

No, I'm kidding.  I hear you and I don't think we differ all that much on the matter.  I think the Ferry/anti-Ferry argument has run it's course.  At this point we all should be in wait 'n see mode.

Lastly, let's be honest.  You can't focus at work since it's gameday.  I know that's my excuse.

Spot on.  I keep trying and I keep spinning in circles.  Gameday on Wednesday should be easier if we take care of business tonight.

• Moderators

Ferry isn't a saint or beyond reproach. He has blown some picks and failed to capitalize on some assets. My feeling, though, is that his good significantly outweighs the bad.

Korver was an A+ trade. He was a great resign.

Sap was a home run.

DMC was a home run.

Thabo was better than I expected.

Bazemore, Mack and Pero are limited but useful pieces at the end of the rotation and the bench.

Bud was his best move.

The team is full of guys who are hard working, smart and easy to root for. This ties out to big steps to establish a meaningful culture for our franchise which is desperately needed after the ASG debacle.

All these outweigh what I think is valid criticism of the Lou/Bebe trade and our first round picks -- and they do it by a wide margin.

I am very concerned about losing Bud and undoing the progress made establishing a culture of winning and team in Atlanta if Ferry doesn't come back.

• Like 1