• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks among teams interested in Draymond Green

ersimo2889

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/6/28/8860285/draymond-green-atlanta-hawks-interest

In the days prior to the NBA's free agency period, the rumor mill continues to swirl. First, the Atlanta Hawks were linked as a potential landing spot for Portland Trail Blazers free agent power forward LaMarcus Aldridge, and now, another high-profile forward has been referenced with regard to the franchise.

Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports reports that Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green is open to meeting with various franchises in pursuit of his services, and the Hawks are among the squads who are "expected to be among the teams interested".

The Atlanta Hawks and 
Houston Rockets
 are also expected to be among the teams interested in Green, a source said. The 2015 first all-NBA defensive team selection said he is open to face-to-face team visits with any serious free-agent opportunity, too.

It is very important to note that Green is a restricted free agent, meaning that the Warriors can match any offer that he could sign with another franchise. That barrier keeps the former Michigan State forward from being a realistic target for Atlanta (or any other NBA team), but it is always fun to speculate wildly about the Hawks and a high-impact player of Green's magnitude.

Unlike Aldridge, the Draymond Green rumors mean almost nothing, but in defense of this report, the Hawks would almost certainly be interested in adding him to the fold if permitted to do so. Alas, the CBA likely stands in the way.

he is an example of how much of a boost you get by hitting in the draft. As are Curry's and Teague's sub market rfa deals.

What about Jared Cunningham, John Jenkins, Hasheem Thabeet, Hilton Armstrong, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

TypingBla_zps17078424.gif

blah blah blah blah blah

You know how you can tell that the Marc Spears article is full of shit?

He mentions that the Rockets are interested in Draymond....the Rockets have no way to clear out enough space for a max contract. Someone is playing games on Spears...something ain't right with that guy. He's not very bright.

You know how you can tell that the Marc Spears article is full of shit?

He mentions that the Rockets are interested in Draymond....the Rockets have no way to clear out enough space for a max contract. Someone is playing games on Spears...something ain't right with that guy. He's not very bright.

See smart people like you and I (king.gif ) have to realize that most other people (like 95%) aren't smart and don't fact-check or think for themselves.  So Spears can come out with a flawed article, get clix and appear to be an expert and most people just eat it up.

See smart people like you and I (king.gif ) have to realize that most other people (like 95%) aren't smart and don't fact-check or think for themselves.  So Spears can come out with a flawed article, get clix and appear to be an expert eggspert and most people just eat it up.

Corrected it. Can't believe you messed this up.

Edited by hawksfanatic

• Moderators

What about Jared Cunningham, John Jenkins, Hasheem Thabeet, Hilton Armstrong, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

TypingBla_zps17078424.gif

blah blah blah blah blah

You definitely can miss in the draft too.  You don't win a ring without hitting big there, though.  If the Spurs had not kept going with the draft they would have missed out on multiple rings even after they hit big-time on Duncan.  They would still have won that first ring but by the time the second one came, the next best player on the team was Tony Parker.  The last two rings were won with NBA Finals MVP #28 pick Tony Parker and NBA Finals MVP #15 Kawhi Leonard.  If they traded those picks for guys like Marco Bellineli (who they instead just smartly picked up as low $$ free agents), they would have wasted a chance to build a dynasty.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

You definitely can miss in the draft too.  You don't win a ring without hitting big there, though.

The Heat totally hit all in the draft. Geez I mean where would they have been without drafting LeBran, Bosh, Birdman, Dwyane Wade taking less in a contract, Udonis Haslem ...

Get off the absolutes. Once upon a time you told us that the best way to compete for a championship the Hawks should have tanked the 2012--13 Season for a lottery pick:

post-781-0-45305900-1435586131_thumb.png

Where all those lottery picks be??

Gee, I guess the Hawks must not have competed for a championship. So sad that we didn't, huh?

• Premium Member

You definitely can miss in the draft too.  You don't win a ring without hitting big there, though.  If the Spurs had not kept going with the draft they would have missed out on multiple rings even after they hit big-time on Duncan.  They would still have won that first ring but by the time the second one came, the next best player on the team was Tony Parker.  The last two rings were won with NBA Finals MVP #28 pick Tony Parker and NBA Finals MVP #15 Kawhi Leonard.  If they traded those picks for guys like Marco Bellineli (who they instead just smartly picked up as low $$ free agents), they would have wasted a chance to build a dynasty.

*sigh*

Really?

I thought there was one other thread where this topic was getting deliberated... hmmm... maybe even two... wait... or was it three?

I'm left to think that next time I glance at a thread about our new unis, someone might mention how good Hardaway will look, and someone else will retort how much better Bobby Portis would have looked... no?

Dang, that's ineggscusable.  Thanks for eggsorcisizing that demon.

Such a yoker.

• Moderators

The Heat totally hit all in the draft. Geez I mean where would they have been without drafting LeBran, Bosh, Birdman, Dwyane Wade taking less in a contract, Udonis Haslem ...

Get off the absolutes. Once upon a time you told us that the best way to compete for a championship the Hawks should have tanked the 2012--13 Season for a lottery pick:

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2015-06-29 at 09.42.16.png

Where all those lottery picks be??

Gee, I guess the Hawks must not have competed for a championship. So sad that we didn't, huh?

I'm still hoping for our first ring.  The pattern continued last year with 2015 MVP Curry along with supporters Thompson and Green (all drafted by GS) as leading cogs in their machine.  Their submarket contracts allowed the GSW's to add their Finals MVP and 6th Man in Iggy.  

A 4-0 defeat in the ECF was a step in the right direction for us - I thought a second round series was our cap and while we didn't actually win any games after the second round that was a huge breakthrough.  I hope we keep getting better but now our lack of a superstar on a undermarket contract is going to challenge our team building.  

I fully agree that I did not buy into our FAs being able to vault this team into true contender status and we were contenders last year until the actual playoffs came and our roster was diminished by injuries (like CLE's was and like GS's wasn't) and was unable to recapture some of the regular season jumpshooting glory either due to bad timing (no longer hot) or increased defensive attention (Kyle struggled throughout before his injury).  Now that we won't have DMC and Sap at sub-market prices and with Horf's submarket contract on the near term horizon, I am hoping like crazy that we can buck the odds and keep contending without that superstar or that we can acquire one in the near term. 

I've never said tanking is the only way to get a superstar.  To the contrary, I have pointed out that Miami having Finals MVP D.Wade to recruit is great -- if you can actually recruit and land a superstar.  Trading works great too if you have the assets to pull off a trade for a superstar.  

I only want to see our Hawks win the ring and still feel a superstar is the best way to get there.  With our recent success and new ownership perhaps we are in a place where we can recruit Lebron James or some other superstar.  Perhaps we can trade some of our draft assets or players for a superstar (obviously that isn't what we did last week).  Perhaps we get lucky when we keep our pick and draft the next superstar taken outside of the lottery.  

I'm not remotely married to the superstar concept, though.  I would be equally happy to see us win a championship just by resigning Sap and DMC and rolling into next season.  I just want to see us get the ring.

• Moderators

*sigh*

Really?

I thought there was one other thread where this topic was getting deliberated... hmmm... maybe even two... wait... or was it three?

I'm left to think that next time I glance at a thread about our new unis, someone might mention how good Hardaway will look, and someone else will retort how much better Bobby Portis would have looked... no?

Such a yoker.

I probably shouldn't have allowed myself to get baited by the wagging tongue.  I thought the fact that Green and Curry's sub-market contracts let them acquire some high $$ players was pretty relevant to how they succeeded this season.

I'm still hoping for our first ring.  The pattern continued last year with 2015 MVP Curry along with supporters Thompson and Green (all drafted by GS) as leading cogs in their machine.  Their submarket contracts allowed the GSW's to add their Finals MVP and 6th Man in Iggy.

Actually, trading away future 1st round draft picks to Utah that they attached to Andris Biedrins is the reason for the Dubs getting Iguodala.

Oh but wait, you told us that 1st round picks are gold! So they done f***ed up, right?

Perplexing. And if I could dig it up, I can almost guarantee you that the Curry extension was thought of as a potential risk at the time. Curry had ankle issues that people thought were serious. So it was a risk. You're only looking at risks that turn out good. What about the risks that turn out bad? MAAAAAARRRRRRFVVVVVVVVVIIIIIIINNNNNN!!!!!!