• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cavs continue spending spree

Cleveland is going to have so many different line ups they can play with next season. That's the whole point of having a stacked roster. Look at  all the line ups GS  utilized in the playoffs.

Adding Williams essentially gives them a great back up point guard for the second unit and the eventual Irving injury. No more Delvawhatever sputtering all over the court with the rock in his hands. That team is loaded.

Cleveland is going to have so many different line ups they can play with next season. That's the whole point of having a stacked roster. Look at  all the line ups GS  utilized in the playoffs.

Adding Williams essentially gives them a great back up point guard for the second unit and the eventual Irving injury. No more Delvawhatever sputtering all over the court with the rock in his hands. That team is loaded.

Yep I wish the Hawks could make moves like this instead of aimng towards marginal players like Wes Johnson etc etc. The Cavs were at the right time right place since they sucked for awhile after Bron left they had all those high draft choices. Bron came over allowing them to keep their high drafted picks giving them bird rights and making the move for Love. I still don't get how Bron can be signed he doesn't have Bird rights or early bird rights.

Now is the time to stack your lineup but unfortunately the Hawks can't due anything due to the cap. It all starts with bird rights (signing your own players over cap which is what alot of premier teams are doing signing their own over the cap.

Yep I wish the Hawks could make moves like this instead of aimng towards marginal players like Wes Johnson etc etc. The Cavs were at the right time right place since they sucked for awhile after Bron left they had all those high draft choices. Bron came over allowing them to keep their high drafted picks giving them bird rights and making the move for Love. I still don't get how Bron can be signed he doesn't have Bird rights or early bird rights.

Now is the time to stack your lineup but unfortunately the Hawks can't due anything due to the cap. It all starts with bird rights (signing your own players over cap which is what alot of premier teams are doing signing their own over the cap.

I see no one has answered that either.

He chose to take his player option so his contract is void. They have to give him a new contract without any rights to him.

They have not renounced him, he still has a cap hold which is what he will be signed to.

• Moderators

They have not renounced him, he still has a cap hold which is what he will be signed to.

Yep.  Just because he opts out doesn't mean they lose their rights to him or that his cap hold goes away.

Yep. Just because he opts out doesn't mean they lose their rights to him or that his cap hold goes away.

So basically you are saying in a situation

Where a team is capped out , if they have a high payed player , that said player can opt out if he so chooses or has the option , and can hold his team hostage till he see's fit? I mean if you opt out that contract should be terminated.

Also what if you have the same situation , can said player opt out for extra cap room then choose to honor his contract after said team signs extra players?

Seems like a loophole to me

Where a team is capped out , if they have a high payed player , that said player can opt out if he so chooses or has the option , and can hold his team hostage till he see's fit? I mean if you opt out that contract should be terminated.

Also what if you have the same situation , can said player opt out for extra cap room then choose to honor his contract after said team signs extra players?

He can opt out but unless they renounce his rights his cap hold still counts as part of the cap. That's why the Cavs have no cap space to sign other free agents but their own (except using exceptions).

The cap hold exists to prevent teams from doing exactly what you are suggesting.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

@JayBirdHawk said this probably better but:

*  Yes, the player can hold his team hostage.

*  Yes.  The contract is terminated.

*  No.  Opting out doesn't create any cap room.  The cap room stays on there until the team renounces the free agent.

*  Because no cap room is created, the team can't sign players to fill that space and then resign the free agent.

*  Here, Cleveland isn't signing anyone with cap room.

Edited by AHF