• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do yall know that we have no capspace?

Diesel

• Premium Member

none.  nada.  zilch.

as i said earlier Jeremy Evans.

I really dont know if we still have Muscala and Daye?

Also the Spurs pay the trade kicker on Splitter but he is quite the expensive BU.

What numbers can be shed via Mack, Scott, Daye? Also read somewhere on HS about a $2.8mil exeption (not MLE). There's room for a Crowder, Evans, or Belinni.

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

RFA Jae Crowder has reached agreement on a five-year, $35 million deal with the Boston Celtics, league sources tell RealGM.

11:51 PM - 1 Jul 2015

• Premium Member

What numbers can be shed via Mack, Scott, Daye? Also read somewhere on HS about a $2.8mil exeption (not MLE). There's room for a Crowder, Evans, or Belinni.

im believing that Splittervdoesnt end upnanhawk!

i think, he is used in a joe johnson to Charlotte trade and we get Hawes and Barnes.

i think, he is used in a joe johnson to Charlotte trade and we get Hawes and Barnes.

Barnes? as in Matt? You do know he is in Memphis right?

Barnes? as in Matt? You do know he is in Memphis right?

They owned the rights to the players for various reasons.  We signed Demarre and Milsap 2 years ago. They had no bird rights meaning the team could not resign them and violate the cap doing so. This is to stop teams/players from gaming the system and signing 1 year deals and the reupping for the max the next year.

• Premium Member

They owned the rights to the players for various reasons.  We signed Demarre and Milsap 2 years ago. They had no bird rights meaning the team could not resign them and violate the cap doing so. This is to stop teams/players from gaming the system and signing 1 year deals and the reupping for the max the next year.

Whether or not they had their rights... (Thompson) it doesn't matter.

The Cavs had the Bird rights of Thompson and Uncle Drew.  However, as of Yesterday, Uncle Drews Salary shot up.  Yeah, they had some unguaranteed contracts like Heywood but here's the problem...

With Every unguarenteed contract dropped and Every Unsigned player renounced, the Cavs still had  24 Million dollars in signed contracts.  That means that they had roughly 45 Million that they could spend on Free Agents.  IF Thompson = 13.9, Love = 20,  Shumpert = 9.375, Delabadova = 1.14... that's 44.415 Million already spent.   Remember they had to renounce Lebron in order to lose his caphold.   SO.. They don't have enough money to resign Lebron.  Also, they should no longer have the rights to Brenden Heywood. But I betcha they sign Lebron and they use Heywood in a trade.  The League has been slanted for them.  The same thing happened Last year.  There was not enough money for them to get Shump and JR and Mozgov by only giving up Waiters.  But they did.  Moreover, I didn't include Mozgov salary in my calculations... That's an Extract 4.9 Million.  Bottom line, they can do what they want.

Im still trying to figure out how Cleveland was able to throw almost $200 million at Mosgov and Thompson and STILL got money for James and the rest............

OMG, This again? .....uuuuuhhhh!!!!!

Just a little reading of the CBA would help you figure it out or the many squawk posts about it over and over and over.

OMG, This again? .....uuuuuhhhh!!!!!

Just a little reading of the CBA would help you figure it out or the many squawk posts about it over and over and over.

Some folks are just not understanding the difference between having Bird rights and not having them. Cleveland had Bird rights for Love and Thompson because they were coming off of contracts that were >3 years. Thus, they could go over the cap to bring them back. The Hawks did NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT have Bird rights for DMC and Millsap because they both passed on 4-year deals and signed 2-year deals instead. Therefore, they could NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT go over the cap like Cleveland did for their guys. This isn't the NFL where you can get rid of some fringe players and use the $$$ that would've been spent on them to bring back your free agents and splurge on extras. Nor is this some NBA2K video game where you can change the settings to fit whatever rules benefit the team you're running.

These CBA rules are strictly enforced and were created to kill off the 'wink wink' deals that used to go on where a guy signed a short contract with another team when he wanted to leave town, with the 'understanding' that a bigger contract was headed his way after the season ended. Remember Danny Manning? He did this to the Hawks when he spurned all of their offers for a 1-year/$1 million deal with Phoenix. Since there was no 'Early Bird' rules in place back then, the Suns had the right to go over the cap to re-sign him to a six-year contract the following year without having to worry about him going elsewhere.

This is simple, folks. If the Hawks had full Bird rights on Millsap and DMC, I'd be right there with the lot of folks who are railing the Hawks for not going after LMA, Matthews, et al while having all the time in the world to bring back the old band. I seriously doubt that the Tragic and Raptors would've looked this way, especially knowing the Hawks could 1) easily go over the cap to bring them back and 2) still have room under the cap to go shopping for more rebounding and firepower. We wouldn't even be having this debate about what they did or didn't do had either of them signed longer deals. Bur for some reason, folks aren't connecting the dots...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 3

Whether or not they had their rights... (Thompson) it doesn't matter.

The Cavs had the Bird rights of Thompson and Uncle Drew. However, as of Yesterday, Uncle Drews Salary shot up. Yeah, they had some unguaranteed contracts like Heywood but here's the problem...

With Every unguarenteed contract dropped and Every Unsigned player renounced, the Cavs still had 24 Million dollars in signed contracts. That means that they had roughly 45 Million that they could spend on Free Agents. IF Thompson = 13.9, Love = 20, Shumpert = 9.375, Delabadova = 1.14... that's 44.415 Million already spent. Remember they had to renounce Lebron in order to lose his caphold. SO.. They don't have enough money to resign Lebron. Also, they should no longer have the rights to Brenden Heywood. But I betcha they sign Lebron and they use Heywood in a trade. The League has been slanted for them. The same thing happened Last year. There was not enough money for them to get Shump and JR and Mozgov by only giving up Waiters. But they did. Moreover, I didn't include Mozgov salary in my calculations... That's an Extract 4.9 Million. Bottom line, they can do what they want.

No

Read the CBA before you spout out this BS

This is how conspiracy theories happen...people who don't know what they are talking about spinning some narrative and BS

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Some folks are just not understanding the difference between having Bird rights and not having them. Cleveland had Bird rights for Love and Thompson because they were coming off of contracts that were >3 years. Thus, they could go over the cap to bring them back. The Hawks did NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT have Bird rights for DMC and Millsap because they both passed on 4-year deals and signed 2-year deals instead. Therefore, they could NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT go over the cap like Cleveland did for their guys. This isn't the NFL where you can get rid of some fringe players and use the $$$ that would've been spent on them to bring back your free agents and splurge on extras. Nor is this some NBA2K video game where you can change the settings to fit whatever rules benefit the team you're running.

These CBA rules are strictly enforced and were created to kill off the 'wink wink' deals that used to go on where a guy signed a short contract with another team when he wanted to leave town, with the 'understanding' that a bigger contract was headed his way after the season ended. Remember Danny Manning? He did this to the Hawks when he spurned all of their offers for a 1-year/$1 million deal with Phoenix. Since there was no 'Early Bird' rules in place back then, the Suns had the right to go over the cap to re-sign him to a six-year contract the following year without having to worry about him going elsewhere.

This is simple, folks. If the Hawks had full Bird rights on Millsap and DMC, I'd be right there with the lot of folks who are railing the Hawks for not going after LMA, Matthews, et al while having all the time in the world to bring back the old band. I seriously doubt that the Tragic and Raptors would've looked this way, especially knowing the Hawks could 1) easily go over the cap to bring them back and 2) still have room under the cap to go shopping for more rebounding and firepower. We wouldn't even be having this debate about what they did or didn't do had either of them signed longer deals. Bur for some reason, folks aren't connecting the dots...

Dude.  Bird Rights do not Nullify Cap Holds.

Let's start there and work our way down...  It's not as simple as you believe.

• Premium Member

No

Read the CBA before you spout out this BS

This is how conspiracy theories happen...people who don't know what they are talking about spinning some narrative and BS

Did you read it???  Did you read the part about cap holds?  You know Love's previous salary (and Lebron's) is supposed to count 150% against the cap unless they were renounced by the team?  Please... refute that first...then let's talk.

• Premium Member

The Cavs were above the cap

The Cavs stayed above the cap

The Cavs only resigned their own players

The Cavs had bird rights so could do so

The real sins happened last year.

While over the cap, they traded for Mozgov with Monopoly money.

They sign Perkins with Monopoly money.

They traded Dion Waiters 4.9 Million for Shumpert and Smith 8.0 Million.

Now watch what happens this year, they will get either a FA... 

Did you read it??? Did you read the part about cap holds? You know Love's previous salary (and Lebron's) is supposed to count 150% against the cap unless they were renounced by the team? Please... refute that first...then let's talk.

Why does it matter that they count against the cap, they are resigning their own guys with the bird rights. They are not trying to free up money to sign new FAs.

Why does it matter that they count against the cap, they are resigning their own guys with the bird rights. They are not trying to free up money to sign new FAs.

You stole the words right off my keyboard. They had Bird rights on both Love and Thompson while the Hawks did not have them on DMC and Millsap. That's why they could go over the cap to bring back their guys while the Hawks couldn't. Sounds simple to me...

Edited by Dejay

You stole the words right off my keyboard. They had Bird rights on both Love and Thompson while the Hawks did not have them on DMC and Millsap. That's why they could go over the cap to bring back their guys while the Hawks couldn't. Sounds simple to me...

They also have bird rights on Shumpert and Smith and Dirty...I don't get the confusion.

I love how none of you work in an NBA front office but are experts on NBA finances. Worse than the bro science dudes I run into in bodybuilding circles...

Not experts, just a basic understanding of the most relevant CBA facts. Thanks to @hawksfanatic for the education.