• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Was Hawks International a Product of Danny Ferry?

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

Watching this Spurs Summer League game then it hits me... Guys like Hardaway Jr and Glenn Robinson III were guys that many wanted Ferry to draft... and now they are a part of the Hawks in some respect post-Ferry. Coach Bud even said in the THJR interview that he was a guy that the Hawks had their eye on for a while. Ferry brought in Pero... Now Pero is back in Europe after two seasons. Also, I believe our SL roster in 2014 had more International players.

Was Hawks International more of a brainchild of Ferry than of Bud & the rest of the organization or am I just seeing things?

• Moderators

Maybe the focus isn't International, but now BPA for our need?

It just feels like Danny made an effort in bringing in international talent over Americans and now with Budcox, that isn't so. I guess Ferry also drafted Moose, Scott, Jenkins, and Payne... Guess I'm seeing things and going senile. lol

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think the "Ferry loves Euros" stuff was always a overblown.  We grabbed some Euros but also spent plenty of draft capital on Americans.  This offseason we added two big pieces to last year's roster:  THJ and Splitter.  That is half and half on the Euro/American split.  What we do with our 15th spot on the roster means a lot less to me.  I see Bud as being someone who wants talent with the right fit regardless of where that talent grew up.  We'll see more over time but I have a hard time seeing us going at all one direction or the other just for the sake of a touchstone on a particular continent.  Next years roster will heavily feature Thabo, Splitter, Dennis which is the same number of foreign players our rotation featured last year.

• Like 2

I think the "Ferry loves Euros" stuff was always a overblown. We grabbed some Euros but also spent plenty of draft capital on Americans. This offseason we added two big pieces to last year's roster: THJ and Splitter. That is half and half on the Euro/American split. What we do with our 15th spot on the roster means a lot less to me. I see Bud as being someone who wants talent with the right fit regardless of where that talent grew up. We'll see more over time but I have a hard time seeing us going at all one direction or the other just for the sake of a touchstone on a particular continent. Next years roster will heavily feature Thabo, Splitter, Dennis which is the same number of foreign players our rotation featured last year.

You forgot Holiday - it's a myth.

Maybe the focus isn't International, but now BPA for our need?

It just feels like Danny made an effort in bringing in international talent over Americans and now with Budcox, that isn't so. I guess Ferry also drafted Moose, Scott, Jenkins, and Payne... Guess I'm seeing things and going senile. lol

Let's take a look:

The only international pieces that he added were Dennis, Nogueira,  Tavares, Petro, Ayón and Thabo Sefolosha. I won't consider Printezis or Schortsianitis because they just were draft rights that we used to do some trades. 6 players in 3 summers. 

Budcox has traded for Splitter and drafted two european guys. 3 players in 1 summer. 

Edited by Ebert
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Let's take a look:

The only international pieces that he added were Dennis, Nogueira,  Tavares, Petro, Ayón and Thabo Selofosha. I won't consider Printezis or Schortsianitis because they just were draft rights that we used to do some trades. 6 players in 3 summers. 

Budcox has traded for Splitter and drafted two european guys. 3 players in 1 summer. 

Budcox has gone over the edge -- all Euro all the time!

Watching this Spurs Summer League game then it hits me... Guys like Hardaway Jr and Glenn Robinson III were guys that many wanted Ferry to draft... and now they are a part of the Hawks in some respect post-Ferry. Coach Bud even said in the THJR interview that he was a guy that the Hawks had their eye on for a while. Ferry brought in Pero... Now Pero is back in Europe after two seasons. Also, I believe our SL roster in 2014 had more International players.

Was Hawks International more of a brainchild of Ferry than of Bud & the rest of the organization or am I just seeing things?

The nimbers kinda say you're probably seeing things.  Our Euro-esque style of play changes the type of players we go after I guess which creates the impression that we're all about some Euros.

I dunno ... but hey I'm all for some stealth Ferry-bashin' so carry on.

Side-note: I had a really inappropriate comment about Ferry-bashin' and @Spud2Nique but I decided to leave it unsaid.  #personalgrowth?

The nimbers kinda say you're probably seeing things. Our Euro-esque style of play changes the type of players we go after I guess which creates the impression that we're all about some Euros.

I dunno ... but hey I'm all for some stealth Ferry-bashin' so carry on.

Side-note: I had a really inappropriate comment about Ferry-bashin' and @Spud2Nique but I decided to leave it unsaid. #personalgrowth?

Sounds like you missed me.