• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Great Breakdown of our Offense

RedDawg#8

https://youtu.be/_IJS5V2dVbE

This guy always does a good job breaking down our sets. In this video he uses last years footage as a preview for this season. 

What I notice the most is how much action we run on each play to spring Kyle first. We are looking to get him a shot 90% of the time and if its not there we go into our other options.

Next thing I notice is how we really do interchange positons as far as wings and bigs more so than  2's 3's 4's and 5's.  The exception is when Kyle is on the floor he is almost always going to be at the 2 because we are looking for his shot . Which brings my next observation.

It explains why we arent (or weren't) as efficient on offense when Kyle sits and not just because of his gravity but because we are designed around his skillset. None of our guys can run off picks and release as quickly as he can. So these plays that spring him dont work as well for other guys and we usually go into options B and  C  without Kyle.

Also the 3 man (Demarre now Baze) is usually camped out or ends up camped out in the corner for the 3. This is obvious to many of us who pay attention to the games but I didnt realize just how by design this really was. Obviously for spacing. Im beginning to think our wings not named Kyle are drilled endlessly to hit that specific shot and it would explain why Demarre became so deadly at it and now this year Baze has become lethal in that corner too. And when you think of the Spurs from the past all I can remember is Bruce Bowen knocking down that same shot  over and over. So as complex as our offense is designed  to get Kyle an open look if you are the 3 man your job is so easy because all you have to  do is hit that shot if the ball comes. Of course there are cuts to the basket and setting screens but that corner 3 from the 3 man is vital to many of our sets. 

As far as bigs they are so versatile. We really do value skilled big guys. They have to move from high to low post to outside the 3 point line set screens roll to the hoop make passes  dribble handoff and make basket cuts. And the way we space our bigs we never have more than one in the low post  and almost always have one near the three point line either to set screens pass or shoot. This "high" big is just as important of a facilitator as our PG. He has a lot of responsibilty and reads to make. We will probably never go after a big that cant do more than rebound and block shots. You need all basketball skills to be a big in our system. You just do.

Lastly and I will be brief. The talk about Teague learning how to play off the ball alongside Schröder makes so much sense seeing how much the 2 man has to move and set picks all just to get his own open shot in the end. Its  a lot and a true credit to Kyle. Its not an easy task for Teague or anybody really.

I was really impressed by this video and it explains so much of what we see during games but dont always think about. 

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 1