• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Offseason Plan: Teague for Melo

TheFuzz

There are rumblings that Melo might request a trade, and that he would fetch a solid starter plus a pick.

We'll have the cap to absorb Melo for Teague/Scott plus two picks (one Hawk pick and the Minnesota pick).  Then, if we dump/stretch Splitter, we'd have enough to resign Bazemore. Draft a big man or point with our pick.

1. Dennis/Patterson
  2. Bazemore/Korver/Hardaway
  3. Melo/Thabo
  4. Sap
  5. Horford/Moose/Tavares

Fixes our rebounding in the starting lineup, still need some help down low and at backup point but we'd contend with that lineup.

2 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

There are rumblings that Melo might request a trade, and that he would fetch a solid starter plus a pick.

We'll have the cap to absorb Melo for Teague/Scott plus two picks (one Hawk pick and the Minnesota pick).  Then, if we dump/stretch Splitter, we'd have enough to resign Bazemore. Draft a big man or point with our pick.

1. Dennis/Patterson
  2. Bazemore/Korver/Hardaway
  3. Melo/Thabo
  4. Sap
  5. Horford/Moose/Tavares

Fixes our rebounding in the starting lineup, still need some help down low and at backup point but we'd contend with that lineup.

That's interesting, but I don't know if those numbers actually work. 

Melo makes $22mil, Teague and Scott combines  is $11 mil.  So we'll be taking on an additional $11mil lowering our capspace plus no bird Rights to Bazemore.

I think the initial trade would have  to include Teague, Splitter and Scott.

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's interesting, but I don't know if those numbers actually work. 

Melo makes $22mil, Teague and Scott combines  is $11 mil.  So we'll be taking on an additional $11mil lowering our capspace plus no bird Rights to Bazemore.

I think the initial trade would have  to include Teague, Splitter and Scott.

I don't think they'd like Splitter, which is why I said we'd need to dump him or stretch him (though I'm not really sure how the stretch provision works), but same principle basically: get rid of Teague/Scott/Splitter so we have enough cap to resign Bazemore along with adding Melo. Work on adding a big and a backup guard.

10 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I don't think they'd like Splitter, which is why I said we'd need to dump him or stretch him (though I'm not really sure how the stretch provision works), but same principle basically: get rid of Teague/Scott/Splitter so we have enough cap to resign Bazemore along with adding Melo. Work on adding a big and a backup guard.

They  may not like Splitter but it's the only way to meet the salary requirements and maintain our capspace to resign Baze.

NY needs to move on from Melo and establish Porzingas as their furute and they'll need a PG to help him get there.

NY can stretch Splitter.

I was thinking about Millsap/Teague for Melo/Lopez and 17' 1st rights draft swap.

Gives us more depth at Center. Moves Al to PF. We can still resign Humphries and we don't have to worry about resigning Bazemore either who might be costly.

I don't see why New York will trade Melo for Teague and just Teague.

Even with Atlanta first, it's not enough. While Sap is far more valuable than Teague and even Melo, he's also the one player who does it for both teams. Teague is worth a lot more than a pick swap and Lopez so who knows but it would seem like New York would need Jeff more than Millsap.

Dennis 

Korver 

Melo

Horford 

Lopez 

Bench 

Thabo, Hardaway Jr, 1st rounder, Humphries, Edy and Splitter. 

Edited by NBASupes

Let's say it's Teague and a #1 for Melo

We use our capspace for Melo. 

Resign Al

We got this lineup: 

Dennis

Korver/THJr

Melo/Thabo

Sap/Hump or Scott

Horford/Splitter/Edy

Let's say NY doesn't want Teague for Melo but they want Sap which they wanted the start the year but Atlanta balked on the deal. 

We got 

Teague/Dennis

Korver/THJr

Melo/Thabo

Horford (18 million cap hold) /Hump or Scott

FA/Splitter/Edy

With this deal we got 15-18 million to spend if the cap is 93 million to fill the roster. If Hump signs for 4-5 mil, that's 11-14 million. Bazemore is out of the question with a Melo trade.  That gives us 11-14 to sign centers like Al Jefferson, Ezeli, Hibbert and Noah. Not sure those guys do it for us. 

I think trading Jeff might not be an option for Atlanta in a Melo deal but I know they want both him and Millsap. So I was throwing it out there as a possibility. 

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Well, he's likely not waiving his NTC so nothing to see here. 

I disagree.  He seems to be seeing the writing on the wall here late in the season.

59 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I disagree.  He seems to be seeing the writing on the wall here late in the season.

Melo loves NY

Last summer, as the Knicks failed to secure any of the top-flight free agents, Carmelo Anthony limited his involvement to behind-the-scenes recruiting while management took care of the meetings.

“Phil had it,” Anthony explained.

In a candid session with a couple of reporters Monday — still four months from the beginning of New York’s offseason-of-reckoning — Anthony professed his desire to increase his role in free agency, and started it with a public pitch for point guard Rajon Rondo.

“Put me at the head of the (meeting) table,” Anthony said. “And let’s go to work.”

"I think Rondo — just me personally, I don’t want to be tampering — but I’ve heard he said he wouldn’t thrive in a system like this,” Anthony said. “I think he’d be perfect in a system like this.”

Anthony then refuted the idea that the triangle isn’t a system for ball-dominant point guards, or averse to those like Rondo who aren’t good shooters but create through penetration.

“It is a misconception about that. Some of the keys of our offense is penetration, getting in the paint,” Anthony said. “Pushing the pace, transition. Creating in the paint for bigs, for yourself, everybody else. I think a point guard would love that. Especially a point guard who can penetrate, create for yourself, create for others. I think it’s a perfect opportunity for him.”

Interim coach Kurt Rambis also pushed back at the idea that “traditional point guards,” as he called them, can’t thrive in the triangle.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that they can have a lot of success in the offense,” he said.

Earlier this season, Anthony told the Daily News that he successfully convinced Rondo to join the Knicks a couple of seasons ago, but the point guard was under contract with the Celtics.

“I’ve talked to him kind of behind the scenes, kind of doing what I do best. Tried to get him to think about playing in New York,” Anthony said. “There was a time where he wanted to come. It’s out of my hands at that point.”

I don’t really have a choice. If we want this team to be better, if we want more pieces of this team, I don’t have a choice but to go out there and do my job and try to get people to come,” he said. “And for them to see it from my perspective than anybody else’s perspective. See it from a player’s perspective.”

Good!  Rondo goes to NYK which leaves the Kings looking for a PG.

More teams needing Teague.

latest?cb=20150303150419

I know he loves NY, JBird.  I'm saying he appears to be coming to grips with the realization that he'll never win there.  Will he decide winning doesn't matter?  We'll see.

Agree Rondo-to-NY would be a gift that keeps on giving.  Before that, I hope the league slaps sMelo with a tampering warning/fee/charge.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, kg01 said:

I know he loves NY, JBird.  I'm saying he appears to be coming to grips with the realization that he'll never win there.  Will he decide winning doesn't matter?  We'll see.

Agree Rondo-to-NY would be a gift that keeps on giving.  Before that, I hope the league slaps sMelo with a tampering warning/fee/charge.

But the no trade clause puts him in control of where he goes.   So I don't see him coming to Atlanta.   Plus that ship has sailed as far as Melo being the star we need.  

20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

But the no trade clause puts him in control of where he goes.   So I don't see him coming to Atlanta.   Plus that ship has sailed as far as Melo being the star we need.  

I will go ahead and say this now. If Melo leaves NY, the next team that acquires him will be crippled for at least 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I revived this topic just to say........... Melo looks FAT.. 

I saw highlights from their Wiz game last night and I did a double take.

Lmmfao...you kill me with the fat comments...I literally busted up laughing...omg...

Just now, Spud2Nique said:

Lmmfao...you kill me with the fat comments...I literally busted up laughing...omg...

It was unexpected.  it wasn't Boris Diaw level  FAT but it was close.

I was, like damn.........DeAndre-Jordan-Face-After-Brandon-Knight....Melo looks fat

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It was unexpected.  it wasn't Boris Diaw level  FAT but it was close.

I was, like damn.........DeAndre-Jordan-Face-After-Brandon-Knight....Melo looks fat

Aka Happy fat. Thanks Lala..:-|