• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A too-early 15-man roster projection

sturt

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

One thing I would be leery of is committing long term money to more marginal players.  I view the cap space the Hawks will have next offseason after alot of these current deals expire as an asset to building this team the right way long term.

Like the general sentiment, but... (a) define "marginal player," and (b) define "building this team the right way long term."

To wit.. is Horford "marginal" as he enters his 30s? ...is Bazemore "marginal" as you look at his numbers progressing from season to season?... would Deng be "marginal" to the Heat fans who just watched him tear-up in their post-season run?

And... does building this team the right way constitute blowing up the roster, or if not, how do you see that evolution occurring in the "right" way?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, sturt said:

Like the general sentiment, but... (a) define "marginal player," and (b) define "building this team the right way long term."

To wit.. is Horford "marginal" as he enters his 30s? ...is Bazemore "marginal" as you look at his numbers progressing from season to season?... would Deng be "marginal" to the Heat fans who just watched him tear-up in their post-season run?

And... does building this team the right way constitute blowing up the roster, or if not, how do you see that evolution occurring in the "right" way?

What I'm saying is the Hawks should avoid tying up significant money in NUMEROUS guys who won't take them any further than they've already gone.  Obviously the Hawks want to stay competitive in the short term and keeping Horford and Bazemore helps with that.  But even the Hawks know that a team with Horford and Millsap as it's best players is never going to contend for titles.  So tying up long term money on complimentary players for them at the expense of future opportunities makes no sense. 

As far as building the right way, they'll need to maintain flexibility in addition to some things going right for them.  Specifically, they'll need some of their young players to show promise and have the cap space to be attractive to other players who would see them as a viable long term option.

Unlikely scenario but wouldn't mind if it happened.  Who said projections had to be accurate.

Trade Millsap for Brandon Knight - Suns still have Bledsoe and seem a bit weak at PF.  Knight has had injury issues.  If injury issues are behind him then he's signed for a few years at what will be a bargain price.

Trade Schröder for Okafor -  We all know this has been talked about.  I prefer Okafor to Nerlens.

Trade Thabo for Trey Burke - Change of scenery for Burke might do him good.  Jazz would probably let him go without asking for too much.  Allows for more playing time for Prince/Bembry.

Sign Harrison Barnes - Above trades save about 4 million.  Not sure what it takes to sign him but I think he has potential and is still really young.

Resign Horford - Gets to play PF almost exclusively.. you know.. until Okafor gets hurt.

Sign a bargain bin PF and PG.. Humphries/Leuer and Ty Lawson/Jennings?

PG - Knight, Lawson, Burke

SG - Korver, Hardaway, Bembry

SF - Harrison, Prince

PF - Horford, Scott (will he even be in the NBA next season?), Leuer, Moose

C - Okafor, Splitter, Walter

Would be some growing pains but I like the mix of youth and experience.

2 hours ago, Brokentree said:

Unlikely scenario but wouldn't mind if it happened.  Who said projections had to be accurate.

Trade Millsap for Brandon Knight - Suns still have Bledsoe and seem a bit weak at PF.  Knight has had injury issues.  If injury issues are behind him then he's signed for a few years at what will be a bargain price.

Trade Schröder for Okafor -  We all know this has been talked about.  I prefer Okafor to Nerlens.

Trade Thabo for Trey Burke - Change of scenery for Burke might do him good.  Jazz would probably let him go without asking for too much.  Allows for more playing time for Prince/Bembry.

Sign Harrison Barnes - Above trades save about 4 million.  Not sure what it takes to sign him but I think he has potential and is still really young.

Resign Horford - Gets to play PF almost exclusively.. you know.. until Okafor gets hurt.

SF - Harrison, Prince

Dear lord, what did you do to our Hawks? ...

9 hours ago, Brokentree said:

SF - Harrison, Prince

This is what of those things that might sounds good in your head only, but seeing it in print.......................leave it there bro.