• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will DerMarr Johnson get another shot?

KB21

He's doing very well in the ABA right now.

His numbers through 12 games:

23.9 ppg

8 rpg

3 apg

48% FG (95-197)

43% 3P (34-79)

93% FT (54-65)

1.5 spg

1.0 bpg

DerMarr has had games where he has scored 30 points, 33 points, and 48 points so far.

Hawks have one opening on the I.R. They have 12 on

the active roster. If some one gets hurt enough to go on

the I.R., we would have an opening.

If a trade is pulled of where we trade away more players

than we get back, that would create an opening.

I don't know whether Hawks would even consider giving

DerMarr a 10 day contract or not. I sure would love to

see him here and see what he can do now. That might

be a little spark to us. We need all the help we can get.

I wish the Hawks to would take a look at him. I don't see any harm it could cause. He is still a very young player because he came out of college after his freshman season, so he probaly still has more room to grow talent wise. I can't think of any negatives in signing him. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out but at least give him a chance to prove he can once again play at this level after his car accident.

Nice to see DJ is doing well, although that league isn't the NBA. I would consider giving Dermarr a summer invitational, although most of his old buddies like Jason Terry probably will be traded. BTW do any college or former NBA talent play in this league?

Blunt,

I believe the ABA is the level just below the CBA.

Those numbers are nothing to scoff at though.

It is the percentages I am impressed with.

I say Dermarr is a pickup this year. There is no one else to sign to a 10-day. Let's give the kid a shot.

At best we have Dermarr and Diaw playing solid defense. At worst we continue to lose.

Play.

DJ's ability was a known before his accident. This report seems to document that he still has ability, but can his body hold up?

As for whether or not we give him a shot this year, I'd say not. He is not the ball handler or the BIG that the team is missing. He would eith be a SG or SF, so unless we could get rid of an existing SG or SF I would not bring him on.

Does anyone know: How often do they play games in the ABA? Has he missed any games? How tough is the defense/competition? Is he the only talent on his team and thus gets all the shots?

OGRat,

The reasons for your worry are the reasons I would only sign him to a 10-day. Then you can work out a insured-contract barring out future injury.

Outside of that, you say that he is NOT the player we need and I disagree.

When Diaw is on the floor we are extremely better as a team. Part of it has to do with his skill, the other part is that he isn't ruining our flow. Glover, Terry and Jackson jack up stupid shots out of the flow of the offense. Diaw does not. So, he brings two things... his skill and his desire to play a team game.

It is his team game that makes him VALUABLE. Dermarr is also in that mindset. He doesn't play OUTSIDE of himself. So, I believe just by having him on the floor we improve.

The BIG player that we get will be through a trade or in the offseason. It doesn't hurt us to get him.

Play.

I agree that he would have a positive influence on the team, but not enough of one to salvage the season. So, if we write off the season, yeah give him a shot. But if the organization aims to attempt to salvage the season (poor chance, I'm in denial) then I would not evaluate who to give a FA position to until all the trading was done.

But if we can give DJ a chance, why not give some of the guys riding the pines a chance?

OGRat,

There is NO reason we don't give our pine-warriors more time.

Hansen was starting a month ago and playing with heart and intensity. I don't understand why he can't buy a minute now. It would be hard for him to play any worse than Glover (38%, poor defense)!

Dickau, who I really believe to be a flop, should also be getting minutes. I have defended him, but not because I believe he is good, but rather because we NEED to try new things. The best players on the floor don't always lead to a better team.

Crawford - I am completely impartial. Although I have a hard time understanding how he sees ZERO minutes. He played decent enough to warrant coming off the bench.

Hendu - Playing AWESOME! In fact I might even start him next to Reef and sit Jackson. I know Jackson has played better lately, but I think this is temporary.

Play.