• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's Ressler going to say now?

BigDog90

I saw that a week and a half ago and I didn't even bother posting it because when you actually listen to what is said on the tape compared to the story headline - it's for shits and giggles - to put it mildly.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He actually said stuff like:

'He hopes some day' the Hawks win one

and "We gonna try" and win one.

Just awful click bait.

I wonder what Ressler's timetable is. 

He basically inherited Ferry's team. I'm curious to see if he ever wants to bring in his own guys.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

He basically inherited Ferry's team. I'm curious to see if he ever wants to bring in his own guys.

I think this is why Grant Hill is in the ownership group.  I think Ressler is smart enough not to meddle but I also imagine they are going to demand that we try to get bigger stars rather than the development projects we've focused on.   I think ownership probably pushed for Dwight.   Like the move or not, he's a much bigger personality than anyone we've had in years.   

13 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

He may have inherited them, but if I'm not mistaken he extended Buds coaching contract and made him Prez of BBall ops. 

Additionally, I hope he understand Atlanta's standing in the basketball landscape, where were to where we are and regardless of his timetable he has to be willing to spend to get the right talent.

He's spending money on the ancillary services for the Hawks (DLeague, Practice Facility, arena upgrades, etc) so that's a great start.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I think this is why Grant Hill is in the ownership group.  I think Ressler is smart enough not to meddle but I also imagine they are going to demand that we try to get bigger stars rather than the development projects we've focused on.   I think ownership probably pushed for Dwight.   Like the move or not, he's a much bigger personality than anyone we've had in years.   

Makes sense. Stars are hard to get though. Hawks been wanting Dwight for a while. 

I could imagine though the old ownership would have gave Horford the full 5 year max. I guess that'll be the standard.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He may have inherited them, but if I'm not mistaken he extended Buds coaching contract and made him Prez of BBall ops. 

Additionally, I hope he understand Atlanta's standing in the basketball landscape, where were to where we are and regardless of his timetable he has to be willing to spend to get the right talent.

He's spending money on the ancillary services for the Hawks (DLeague, Practice Facility, arena upgrades, etc) so that's a great start.

Yeah, it looks like he's getting the foundation down and not afraid to put his foot down to get what he wants (arena renovations/new arena).

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ressler made the call to extend Bud's contract and promote him and the decision to jettison Ferry.  They were done at the same time by old ownership days before the sale to Ressler closed.

• Moderators

Really starting to look like the idea of signing Sap to a close to max deal without an actual wing scorer on the horizon may just be stupid.   

But I'm starting to feel stuck if we're looking at building with Sap.   Who on this team is tradeable?  I'd think about trying to trade any and all of our wings plus a pick for a legit starter at the 2 or 3.   Hardaway may have some value.  Then try to pick up quality, low cost vets to round out the bench.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Really starting to look like the idea of signing Sap to a close to max deal without an actual wing scorer on the horizon may just be stupid.   

But I'm starting to feel stuck if we're looking at building with Sap.   Who on this team is tradeable?  I'd think about trying to trade any and all of our wings plus a pick for a legit starter at the 2 or 3.   Hardaway may have some value.  Then try to pick up quality, low cost vets to round out the bench.   

@macdaddy Even a max deal (and when I say max I mean a 5 year deal) with a wing is kinda stupid.  Particularly in light of new expected salary cap numbers for the next 2 year I posted previously:

The NBA has lowered its salary cap projections for the next two seasons.

In a January memo attained by Basketball Insiders, the league informed teams that the 2017-18 cap is expected to be $102 million with a luxury tax threshold of $122 million. For 2018-19, the NBA estimates a cap of $103 million with the tax line at $125 million.

The NBA had originally projected a cap of $102 million in July, briefly raising that estimate to $103 million in October.

The 2018-19 projection holds greater significance, dropping five million from the league’s July number of $108 million.

So salary cap is normalizing in it's increases going forward. 

Whenever I see this

giphy.gif

39 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

But what the hell are we going to do other than tank.  Let Sap walk and we've got no viable PF on our horizon at all.   Maybe it's my Falcoma but I'm not seeing a great path forward for the Hawks to stay relevant and improve.   

Linus says, "We're doomed."  (Note - Atlanta sports fans are always "doomed.")