• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks Backcourt: Inside the numbers

wolvetigers

As one would imagine ESPN sports radio was trashing the Knicks for the offer sheet to THJ this afternoon and we all agree 71mill is a crazy number. But then he mentioned that Atlanta backcourt showed impressive growth stat wise but then proceeded to switch back to the Knicks crazy offer. In any case i looked at the numbers and they are positive for a backcourt that has only played 1 year together and they are young 23 & 25 years old.

PG rankings: - Dennis  - > 14th in Scoring (17.9 ppg); 14th in FG % (45%), 13th in Ast (6.3), 13th Scoring Per 48min (27.3ppg)

SG rankings:-  Tim Hardaway Jr - > 16th in Scoring (14.5 ppg); 10th in FG % (45%); 13th Scoring Per 48mins (25.5ppg)

Now these are good numbers for a young backcourt,  and if they continued to improve we are talking a top 10 PG and SG in the league; but are they good enough to take a financial risk on staying together.  

With that said, I think the Hawks will let Tim Hardaway Jr walk....

Edited by wolvetigers
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, wolvetigers said:

As one would imagine ESPN sports radio was trashing the Knicks for the offer sheet to THJ this afternoon and we all agree 71mill is a crazy number. But then he mentioned that Atlanta backcourt showed impressive growth stat wise but then proceeded to switch back to the Knicks crazy offer. In any case i looked at the numbers and they are positive for a backcourt that has only played 1 year together and they are young 23 & 25 years old.

PG rankings: - Dennis  - > 14th in Scoring (17.9 ppg); 14th in FG % (45%), 13th in Ast (6.3), 13th Scoring Per 48min (27.3ppg)

SG rankings:-  Tim Hardaway Jr - > 16th in Scoring (14.5 ppg); 10th in FG % (45%); 13th Scoring Per 48mins (25.5ppg)

Now these are good numbers for a young backcourt,  and if they continued to improve we are talking a top 10 PG and SG in the league; but are they good enough to take a financial risk on staying together.  

With that said, I think the Hawks will let Tim Hardaway Jr walk....

Where are the defensive stats? How do they rank there? Assist are non existent for THJ. I liked both players,  but if they are going to out played every time we play an upper tier PG our SG aren't we treadmilling again? People crap on Joe Johnson around here but at least he was a two way player. I need one of these guys to become a plus defender, because most NBA scoring comes from the guards and wings now. If you're going to try and compete with Golden State you can only hide one minus defender in your starting lineup. 

Edited by ATLien_
  • Like 1

I appreciate the stats. We all know that THJ can score.

He also isn't nearly as good a shooter as we like to pretend. He's fine, and definitely a nice offensive piece, but he's more of a 6th man on a solid team.

If he's your starting SG, you aren't doing it right.

If we weren't ________-ing, then maybe having Trill-like players in the lineup would help hide his defense and make the optics better.