• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Another Bitter Writer takes Shots at Atlanta...

jaywalker72

..and ESPN is no better...

http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/4358612.html

I encourage anyone to write this guy and tell him to stick to talking about basketball and leave the comedy to others.

The only way this kind of garbage stops is by peppering these writers with polite, but angry responses to their cheap shots.

He doesn't even talk about Shareef's night against KG, but he does take the time to insult the team's marketing department.

On ESPN's FastBreak, Greg Anthony spent the entire highlight reel making jokes (and surprise! they weren't funny). First there was the one about the crowd "distracting" Spree. Whoa! Good one. Then there was the one about Terry Stotts leading the team to victory because he is soooo tenured. Stop it, Greg...you're killing me! He told that one twice in case we weren't listening.

They spent the entire reel laughing at the Hawks, even as they were upsetting the Wolves. Insane. They couldn't even do their jobs and go through the highlights straight, they had to take shots, even though the Hawks played well.

Keep it up boys...it's real fun to take shots at us....But it's up to us, fans, to let them know that we don't like it.

Jay,

You were probably AT the game, so you missed the delight of listening to T-Wolves announcers thrash the Hawks and the city of Atlanta.

To start the game, they basically insulted Reef and said he is extremely lazy and KG should have a field day. Later on they talked about how awful a sports town Atlanta is.

It was pretty bad.

What suprises me is that you expected good sports commentary/highlights from the worst sports network ever. ESPN is a joke. They know about as much about sports as my left toe.

THEY are the ones that make it possible for guys shooting 38% to be the most popular players in the league. THEY are the ones that will show a KG dunk as the number one highlight for the game, even though that was basically KGs only decent FG. They won't get into KG shooting 6-24.

They get by on their "witty", "funny", "Stuart Scott"-ish diatribe - which ultimately appeals to a kindergarden mentality.

FoxSports, which isn't great, was loads better. They focused on the game. Gave you complete box scores - not just some "this is our favorite player" and "this is what he scored" crap.

I remember when ESPN wouldn't even show an NHL highlight. Heck, it wasn't sportscenter, it was ESPN DunkHighlightCenter.

It is a pathetic network and them cancelling Playmakers shows how "all-powerful" they are. They got canned by the NFL, big-time.

Play.

I just hope the players heard those comments later. So when we actually do have a good team, they mention it and dis them when they start kissing our _ss . Greg Anthony doesn't usually bother me as much as that idiot trash-spewing Stephen Asz. Smith who does nothing but berate teams. mad.gif

• Premium Member

Heck the Hawks franchise stinks, they're a joke,

I have been an avid fan since 1978, more years than some are old on this forum.

1. Ownership has sucked for the past 5 - 7 years

2. Can't get their act together for NBA approval

3. Team only plays hard on occasion

4. Atlanta is a bad sports town period, I know we hate to admit it, butit is fact and there are a lot of shallow fans in this city

I understand the frustration and this is going to be a difficult time period to work through. I get a kick out of people wanting to trade players for picks and to dump salaries to go after free agents. No good Free agent who wants to win would come to the Hawks in our current situation and you can't blame them. Our biggest problem with personnel is the backcourt. Reef, Jax, and Ratliff are not a bad front line, the backcourt is terrible, their defense is unforgivable.

Yes, the Hawks had a great game last night, but don't get upset for greg antony or whoever is making fun of the Hawks. I remember many nights in the past when the media has laughed at and bashed the Clipps, the Cadavers, and etc.

Until this organization and team gets their act together, they deserve the citicism!

Don't you just love the way Stuart Scott tries to be

something that he isn't? I've never heard someone that

sounds so"fake" before. I prefer TNT's and NBC's coverage

of the NBA MUCH better. The ESPN casters and the settings

and all just don't do it for me. Greg Anthony? Who's that?

Oh yeah, that stiff that shot below 40% and spent most of

his time as a cheerleader.

These broadcaster ride the Hawks attendence...But it isn't

the fans fault that the games are boring and the NBA is

boring and has very little entertainment value left.

• Premium Member

If you go to a entertainment event i.e. the Hawks and drop $100-$150 you expect to see at the team compete and hussle.

The difference between Atlantans and say the TrailBlazer fans, they will turn the city updside. In Atlanta, very few either care or voice their opinion. In Atlanta there are core Hawk fans that are usually visting this site (which is the best site out there), the rest are passive fans.

sad situation. I remmeber when the Hawks were contenders and it was a joke in the media that the Hawks couldn't sell out at home.

Just the facts!

• Moderators

These writers just like to jump on the team when they are down. The Hawks have been aweful for several years and draw basically the same as the two time defending Eastern Conference Champs, the New Jersey Nets. The media doesn't dump on them because they are "hot" with Jason Kidd. However, their failure to support the team is much worse than the current Hawks attendance woes in light of the difference in on-court success.

I don't contend that Atlanta is a great basketball town or anything, it is just cowardly to dump on a team when they are down and don't have much ammunition and praise a team with the same problem (attendance) that is up and whose fans could defend themselves on their team's merits.

If you are going to dump on low-attendance teams have the guts to take on the Nets, Jason Kidd and Rod Thorn as well.