• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Georgia is producing some ballers.. Ant Edwards

Spud2nique

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Lots of ballers out of  the Atlanta area and for the most part UGA and GT can't get any of them to stay for college.

It is crazy to me that neither Tech nor UGA has landed a coach who can keep the in-state talent.  That is all that is needed to make an elite college program.  Getting 60% of the best guys to stay would result in a deep roster led by high-end talent and any out-of-state recruiting would be just icing on the cake.

For Tech, their most successful recruiter wasn't focused on the state and so there was no legacy to continue forward after Cremins left.  For UGA, I think their best chance of that happening evaporated when Tubby Smith went to UK in what was probably the wrong move for him professionally (his title in Lexington notwithstanding, I think he would have been happier with the more modest expectations at UGA and still been very successful).

Would love to see one or both of these programs win over the state's best players.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who are the coaches that may be able to keep the in-state talent?

Either one of them should have hired Ron Hunter away from us. I'm a Georgia State alum. We've been bringing in 2-3 top 20-25 GA HS players a recruiting classes over the last 7ish years, and have 3 NCAAT and 1 win since then.

Right now, our Head Coach is Jonas Hayes and Jarvis Hayes is his top assistant. Both are obviously well known UGA guys. I would imagine continued success with us would get Jonas (and Jarvis) a good shot at the UGA job when it opens next. 

Tech is a mess. As long as Pastner is in charge, they're going to be trash. They did Memphis a favor when they hired him on his way to being fired and receiving a buy-out.

We're opening a new arena this season too. The windows above the baseline face the Atlanta skyline.

https://twitter.com/GSUPanthers/status/1530265419843612672?s=20&t=Y_uTD6c-7aVzwPdH6INlDg

• Like 2

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who are the coaches that may be able to keep the in-state talent?

I'd say any coach who is a standout recruiter.  We've seen it happen in Athens for the football programs under a couple of different coaches.  You'd need someone who could build those relationships with the HS coaches and talent in the state and I'd say there are a lot of guys who have done this in a lot of places but they are always in demand because the ability to recruit is the most valuable talent a college coach can offer.

I don't have specific names but @BangHolman's post is insightful as far as what has been done at a lower profile school with much more limited resources in Georgia.

• Like 1