• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

I'll add that the "reporting" I've seen on the Trae trade rumors are sourced from "rival executives" which could mean anything. Teams trying to cause tension so they can trade for him themselves (Lakers), or just rival teams in the division who want him out.

But I'm not buying it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wretch said:

They want to spin the narrative that Trae wants out.  I wouldn't be surprised if agents/teams were involved trying to create a narrative that benefits them by landing Trae.

Why would the Spurs deal those picks?

For one, same reason why we might deal the #1 pick.  A bird in the hand and all that...

Secondly, it's not set in stone where those picks land - and one of them is just a pick swap.  It's not guaranteed that the Hawks will be a lottery team.  I mean literally, that's the whole point of this offseason - to get Trae back in the playoffs.  If the Hawks make the playoffs the next 2 years, those are mid first rounders at best.  Outside of the lottery, there's something like <2% chance of finding an All Star...let alone a franchise cornerstone.

Even if they are lottery picks, there is no guarantee of anything.  Trae and DJ are both young, legit All Star talents at PG - right now.  Trae is putting up unheard of stats.  A PG like him comes along once in a blue moon, DJ twice in a blue moon, and even then you're not guaranteed to even have a shot at him.  If he's a consensus, everyone is going for him.  If he's not, it's just another gamble.  We can all count the number of lottery picks that didn't become franchise saviors.

It's not a stretch.  Would we give up two unprotected picks for a legit All Star SG or stretch 5 with comparable stats to Trae?  In a nanosecond.  The Spurs would take Trae without blinking (they'd take DJ with one blink). We're drooling over Trae/Sarr...but somehow Spurs fans wouldn't go absolutely apeshit for Trae/Wemby...?

It's hard to compare them to us. They can have their cake and eat it too lol. We can't. The Spurs are in the cat bird seat here, which is why I don't really see the insentive for them to trade us our picks back. 

If trae was their *only* option I can see it. But they can very easily hold the line here and either get Trae without giving us both of our picks or go get someone else. 

The Hawks can't blow it up and rebuild without going through the Spurs. 

Sure the Hawks can trade Trae and reset with someone else's picks. But the Spurs will still hold our future so they win. 

They can win this whole ordeal in a meriad of ways. That's why I don't see why they'd just give in and give us 4 lottery(potential) picks. They have the leverage. 

The only way the Spurs lose is if the Hawks trade Trae elsewhere and somehow manage to build a championship contender without him, which is highly unlikely given how they operate lol. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

You see what you want to see.  Woj didn't source or report any potential trade.  Nor that the hawks want to trade Trae.  Nor that Trae wants to be traded.  You and Jeff and others are just making up "smoke" based on public speculation around the Hawks.  

I'll admit that the Hawks are doing a poor job of calming the waters.  But their poor PR doesn't indicate there is smoke to a trade or that they are even considering it.  Maybe they will.  Maybe they won't.  Saying there is smoke here and that Woj is indicating they will look to trade Trae is 100% patently false.  But y'all keep spewing the same nonsense.  I can only imagine its in an attempt to wish it into existence.  

That's exactly what it is.  These are posters who will never acknowledge just how impactful Trae Young is.  They simply don't like him.  They would rather lose with a worse player than build around Trae.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

That's exactly what it is.  These are posters who will never acknowledge just how impactful Trae Young is.  They simply don't like him.  They would rather lose with a worse player than build around Trae.

Hella Matt Ryan vibes. 

1 minute ago, Afro said:

It's hard to compare them to us. They can have their cake and eat it too lol. We can't. The Spurs are in the cat bird seat here, which is why I don't really see the insentive for them to trade us our picks back. 

If trae was their *only* option I can see it. But they can very easily hold the line here and either get Trae without giving us both of our picks or go get someone else. 

The Hawks can't blow it up and rebuild without going through the Spurs. 

Sure the Hawks can trade Trae and reset with someone else's picks. But the Spurs will still hold our future so they win. 

They can win this whole ordeal in a meriad of ways. That's why I don't see why they'd just give in and give us 4 lottery(potential) picks. They have the leverage. 

The only way the Spurs lose is if the Hawks trade Trae elsewhere and somehow manage to build a championship contender without him, which is highly unlikely given how they operate lol. 

No.  The Spurs don't have any leverage.  There isn't a point guard who is the caliber of Trae that is available.  If they want to pair Trae with Wemby, they will have to pay.  The Hawks do not have to trade Trae.  This is a statement that is made only if Trae gets shopped, which I don't think will happen.  

Memphis isn't trading Ja Morant, so there is really no avenue for San Antonio to get a legit star point guard like Trae.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, KB21 said:

No.  The Spurs don't have any leverage.  There isn't a point guard who is the caliber of Trae that is available.  If they want to pair Trae with Wemby, they will have to pay.  The Hawks do not have to trade Trae.  This is a statement that is made only if Trae gets shopped, which I don't think will happen.  

Memphis isn't trading Ja Morant, so there is really no avenue for San Antonio to get a legit star point guard like Trae.  

I still got to ask, why don't the Spurs want Murray?   If we think we can win a title with him why don't the spurs who already may have an mvp on the roster. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

I'll add that the "reporting" I've seen on the Trae trade rumors are sourced from "rival executives" which could mean anything. Teams trying to cause tension so they can trade for him themselves (Lakers), or just rival teams in the division who want him out.

But I'm not buying it.

There's obviously only two ways Trae gets traded.  He requests out or the Hawks decide to move on.   If Trae requested a trade it would be ALL OVER social media and all the news outlets.  Just like it was with Dame.  And Harden. And Kawhi. And any other traded star.  Since it's not, it's fair to believe he hasn't requested out.  (Now there are rumors of a meeting today with the team and Trae, so maybe this changes, but as of this moment, he hasn't requested out).  

As for the Hawks, that's where all the speculation is coming from.  It's from "rival execs" saying they wouldn't be surprised if he's available this summer.  It's from national analysts spit balling about the lack of fit between Trae and DJM and thinking the Hawks could or should get more for Trae than for DJM.  It's from fans who want him gone for some unknown reason.  BUT NONE OF IT IS FROM THE HAWKS.  Not that they would come out and say it.  But more to the point, none of the insiders on this board OR the league guys like Shams or Woj have said the Hawks are actively shopping Trae.  

The most anyone has said is that they COULD shop him this summer.  Not that they are or they will.  Just that they COULD.  Well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that's an option given the current state of the team.  People just choose to see and believe what they want.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I still got to ask, why don't the Spurs want Murray?   If we think we can win a title with him why don't the spurs who already may have an mvp on the roster. 

I think the Spurs would take Murray back, but unlike some Hawks fans, they know there is a significant difference between Trae Young and Dejounte Murray.  They would take Murray back, but it isn't going to be at the cost we gave up getting him.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If you come from the standpoint that there only PG(or team building) option is Trae and Trae only, than sure. I have doubts that's how the Spurs look at it though. 

They can build that roster around Wemby a million different ways, partially because they have our unprotected picks. 

That's part of my calculus. I don't think the line of reasoning that Hawks fans are taking is overly realistic for the Spurs reality. 

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Nevermind 

Edited by Afro

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

He didn't report that Trae was being shopped.  He didn't source anything.  He was just giving his opinion.  That isn't lying.  The lying is done by people who claim Woj reported that Trae is being aggressively shopped by the Hawks.

Well, it's a clever version of lying by omission.  He's well aware that people will take any opinion (emphasis on 'opinion') he reports as being based on  "sourced" info.  Drives clicks from which he directly benefits.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

He didn't report that Trae was being shopped.  He didn't source anything.  He was just giving his opinion.  That isn't lying.  The lying is done by people who claim Woj reported that Trae is being aggressively shopped by the Hawks.

He said "media people" not just Woj. 

Yes, media people are lying about exactly what Woj said and how it was said. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think the Spurs would take Murray back, but unlike some Hawks fans, they know there is a significant difference between Trae Young and Dejounte Murray.  They would take Murray back, but it isn't going to be at the cost we gave up getting him.  

I think they might take him back too.  They saw they weren't going anywhere but hanging out in mediocrity-ville with him and decided to tank so they traded him away before he became an UFA.  Now they have tanked and gotten a franchise player.  Suddenly having a secondary or tertiary player to put around your franchise player makes much more sense than hoping the secondary or tertiary guy can do it as the best guy on the team.  He seems to have a good relationship with Pops so this seems plausible and logical with DJM under team control on a fair deal for years to come.  

Agree that the price will be based on the market for DJM right now and that this doesn't seem at all likely to include multiple unprotected first round picks but there could be a deal here that makes sense.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Afro said:

If you come from the standpoint that there only PG(or team building) option is Trae and Trae only, than sure. I have doubts that's how the Spurs look at it though. 

They can build that roster around Wemby a million different ways, partially because they have our unprotected picks. 

That's part of my calculus. I don't think the line of reasoning that Hawks fans are taking is overly realistic for the Spurs reality. 

Nevermind 

From my POV, they get Trae and immediately become a top 4 team in the West with Trae and Wemby as the two stars.  In fact, I would say San Antonio and Oklahoma City become the favorites to win the West.  San Antonio doesn't get there this fast with any other point guard option.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, kg01 said:

Well, it's a clever version of lying by omission.  He's well aware that people will take any opinion (emphasis on 'opinion') he reports as being based on  "sourced" info.  Drives clicks from which he directly benefits.  

The real issue is one that isn't specific to this particular circumstance but is an issue in general with ESPN.  They use reporters as analysts and conflate the two regularly.  The person (in this case Woj) doesn't understand or doesn't care that he's being used as both so instead of making it clear to the listener whether he's reporting news or just giving his opinion, he just says what he says and lets the world argue over whether it was a report or his opinion. 

And voila, we get internet gymnastics and all the arguing over whether Woj actually reported something they want to believe as factual or whether he just speculated and gave his opinion.  We know it to be the latter but it doesn't stop some folks from latching on to the former and running with it.   

• Like 4

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

The real issue is one that isn't specific to this particular circumstance but is an issue in general with ESPN.  They use reporters as analysts and conflate the two regularly.  The person (in this case Woj) doesn't understand or doesn't care that he's being used as both so instead of making it clear to the listener whether he's reporting news or just giving his opinion, he just says what he says and lets the world argue over whether it was a report or his opinion. 

And voila, we get internet gymnastics and all the arguing over whether Woj actually reported something they want to believe as factual or whether he just speculated and gave his opinion.  We know it to be the latter but it doesn't stop some folks from latching on to the former and running with it.   

Does anyone else hate watching Woj on TV?  He's got a nervous tick or something. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

From my POV, they get Trae and immediately become a top 4 team in the West with Trae and Wemby as the two stars.  In fact, I would say San Antonio and Oklahoma City become the favorites to win the West.  San Antonio doesn't get there this fast with any other point guard option.  

Oh I'm not trying to say Trae isn't a good move for them or that they 100% wouldn't trade our picks back. But to just assume they will seems a bit one sided to me. 

There is 100% a world where the Spurs can draw a line in the sand at "if you're trading away trae we are definitely keeping your picks". They have lots of other options with the assets they now have. 

They can take that line. We really/sort of can't. If you trade Trae and it's not to the Spurs for our picks, things get kinda weird real quick. Whereas nothing is holding the Spurs back from going a different direction. That's my point. 

Edited by Afro

2 minutes ago, Afro said:

Oh I'm not trying to say Trae isn't a good move for them or that they 100% wouldn't trade our picks back. But to just assume they will seems a bit one sided to me. 

There is 100% a world where the Spurs can draw a line in the sand at "if you're trading away trae we are definitely keeping your picks". They have lots of other options with the assets they now have. 

They can take that line. We really/sort of can't. If you trade Trae and it's not to the Spurs for our picks, things get kinda weird real quick. Whereas nothing is holding the Spurs back from acquiring other players. That's my point. 

We absolutely can though, because we don't have to trade Trae.  If San Antonio wants to d*ck around and be a 30–35-win team over the next two years, they can do that.  We will just keep Trae.