• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which Hawks player will benefit most (stats) with Quin

Spud2nique

Which Hawk thrives most (stats) 2023-24  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Hawk thrives most with Quin at the helm

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/15/2023 at 10:36 PM

• Premium Member
On 7/19/2023 at 11:41 AM, Spud2nique said:

Which Hawk will benefit most statistically in 2023-24 with the arrival of Quin?

Let's do a quick check in:  So far JJ by a landslide, followed by DJ.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:07 PM, kg01 said:

BenJalen JohnSimmonson, obvi. 

You called it. :good:

Poll Results:

JJ

•  

Gray Mule

•  

kg01

•  

ShooterSays

•  

BangHolman

•  

JayBirdHawk

•  

thecampster

•  

Phunkabilly

•  

JeffS17

•  

TheNorthCydeRises

•  

AHF

•  

AUhawksfan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I was listening to Brad Rowlands latest Pod with the Pacers guy on the Hawks/Pacers preview for tonight's game and something the Pacers PodGuy said caught my attention regarding Quin's offense.  A Mike Conley quote from when he joined the Jazz, so I went down a rabbit hole:

“Me and Emmanuel [Mudiay] joked the first day of training camp: ‘I think you need a PhD to play here! They didn’t tell us that when we came,’” says Conley. Conley is referring to something many around the league have known for years: Quin Snyder runs an extremely complex system.

This article talks Quin's offense:

Snyder came into the NBA with a reputation for offensive creativity and innovation; his personnel has never allowed him to fully flex those muscles, but that hasn’t stopped him from implementing one of the most detailed approaches in the game......

........Certain coaches, though – whether due to personal preference or a deliberate attempt to throw off opponents – have their own vocabularies. Snyder’s is commonly referred to as maybe the single most complex out there. Most teams just say “switch” when such action is required, for instance; the Jazz under Snyder have commonly used the term “black” instead.

“[He uses] different words than most of the NBA,” Conley says. “Once you learn them all and nobody really knows what you’re saying, you’re speaking a foreign language to the rest of the league, which is brilliant.”

Naturally, this takes time to adjust to. There are literally hundreds of potential such terms to re-memorize, these on top of an actual on-court scheme that requires precision and multiple actions run at once.

Even for incumbents in the system, Snyder is still giving out assignments. Never one to rest on his laurels, he’s taking advantage of new offensive personnel to bolster his playbook.

This sounds all too familiar:

All of this begs an interesting question: Could the complexity of Snyder’s system be playing a role in a pattern of inconsistent starts offensively for the Jazz under his tutelage?

The Jazz made several of their offseason personnel decisions with at least a partial eye to basketball intelligence, and with good reason.

Is The Complexity Of Quin Snyder’s System Part Of The Utah Jazz’s Slow Offensive Starts? (forbes.com)

More Mike Conly on Quin's offense:

All that to say, it will take awhile for the players to adjust to Quin's scheme.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I was listening to Brad Rowlands latest Pod with the Pacers guy on the Hawks/Pacers preview for tonight's game and something the Pacers PodGuy said caught my attention regarding Quin's offense.  A Mike Conley quote from when he joined the Jazz, so I went down a rabbit hole:

This article talks Quin's offense:

This sounds all too familiar:

Is The Complexity Of Quin Snyder’s System Part Of The Utah Jazz’s Slow Offensive Starts? (forbes.com)

More Mike Conly on Quin's offense:

All that to say, it will take awhile for the players to adjust to Quin's scheme.

Great references, thanks for pulling those together.  This is what I've suspected (and hoped) was the case starting this season.  

• Like 2