Question of the Day 2-10....

Diesel

• Premium Member

You have been tasked to make the Best Slam Dunk Contest ever..

You can choose any player and get them in their prime. 

You can only choose 6 players....

Who are your 6 players in the Slam Dunk Contest and who do you predict would win??

Hint:  My six is mostly guys who have won Hawks Jerseys.

• Moderators

I don't think you can go very wrong but I'd take: 

Nique, Jordan, Vince, Dr. J, Griffin, and Spud.

Objectively I probably wouldn't include Spud since he wasn't a standout dunker for a long period of time or anything but his win was over some giants and was easily the most distinctive in the history of the game.  So I'm including one big man and one small man among the supremely athletic wings who typically dominate this event.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't think you can go very wrong but I'd take: 

Nique, Jordan, Vince, Dr. J, Griffin, and Spud.

Objectively I probably wouldn't include Spud since he wasn't a standout dunker for a long period of time or anything but his win was over some giants and was easily the most distinctive in the history of the game.  So I'm including one big man and one small man among the supremely athletic wings who typically dominate this event.

Spud was great but he's a novelty.   Replace him with David Thompson for a better contest.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, shakes said:

Spud was great but he's a novelty.   Replace him with David Thompson for a better contest.

Isn't that kind of what you want in the dunk contest though? Novelty? All of these guys can mostly do the same stuff but seeing a dude that small do it is incredible every time for me

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Isn't that kind of what you want in the dunk contest though? Novelty? All of these guys can mostly do the same stuff but seeing a dude that small do it is incredible every time for me

the small guy can't do the same stuff.  Small guy wins because dunk contests are graded on a curve and favor smaller players.  

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, shakes said:

the small guy can't do the same stuff.  Small guy wins because dunk contests are graded on a curve and favor smaller players.  

Which is because people are more entertained by the small guy doing a 360 than 6'6'' guard.  I agree Spud doesn't have the resume of a Thompson or Aaron Gordon or someone like that and don't begrudge you for not wanting to include him.  Perfectly valid case for doing so.  But I would be more entertained with his inclusion than with Thompson or Gordon, etc. so I included him in my list.

There is no single dunk that Thompson has done that I find as impressive as a 5'6'' guy doing a 360 and I've got no problem granting that I am less impressed when Zach LaVine or some other larger player does the same thing because that is just much easier for them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...