• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Russ Granik says...

sinctybldh

I really believe the deal that was made this week was a sign that the sale was complete. I really doubt Billy Knight made the deal without consulting the new owners and getting their approval.

The first thing that will change under the new ownership will be the marketing aspect of the team. I feel that Billy Knight will be kept on as the general manager, and his goal this offseason will be to utilize that cap room to get a star player that will bring fans to the arena. The seemingly eminent addition of Doc Rivers as the head coach and whatever role Dominique Wilkins will play in the new set up will also add to the marketing capabilities of the Hawks.

I think that we would be making a big mistake if we dont try and somehow get Byron Scott here in some capacity. I would almost hire him over Rivers just because of how much of an impact this could have on us getting Kobe Bryant. Doc really hasnt proven to be any better than Scott so I would go all out after Scott and keep Knight as GM.

I disagree.

Byron showed this season that he isn't a very good coach without Eddie Jordan on the side line coaching the team for him.

Doc proved to me in his first season as a coach when he didn't have much talent that he could coach.

That New Jersey team is undefeated since the firing of Byron Scott as well.

I'd rather get Jim O'Brien than Byron Scott.

The problem is that do you risk not getting Kobe by not hiring Scott? If it came down to it being a package deal would you say no then?

I agree that Scott hasnt proven to be a great coach, but I think the problems they had this year might have more to do with his lack of a relationship with Kidd than his ability to coach.

My problem with Doc is that his teams never got any better and maybe thats because McGrady wouldnt allow that, but they just never improved.

I would love to have OBrien. He would be my top choice this offseason if we could still get Kobe with him.

I just think that the opportunity to reconnect with the Hawks past is too good to pass on.

I think what kept the Magic from improving under Doc was the injury to Grant Hill. The cap space he was taking up never allowed the Magic to go out and get the big man they needed.

I have to say that the chance to get Kobe is far more important than the next coach. I am just not sold enough on Doc to pass up a chance at Kobe. IF Scott was willing to come here as an assistant coach to Doc I would go that way, but I seriousy doubt he would do that. Getting a superstar like Kobe is a once in a lifetime chance for us as a franchise and would turn us around over night. You think the owners would pass up that chance? Heck no they wouldnt....no matter how much we might want to reconnect with the past. No coach out there could put butts in the seat like Kobe would......not even close.

Don't denigrate the importance of having a good coach and a good coaching staff.

Look at Indiana under Isiah Thomas and Rick Carlisle. They are much better under Carlisle with the same players.

I think Byron Scott is a much better coach than Isiah Thomas was though. Thomas was a crappy head basketball coach.

I think if you hire Byron Scott, you have to give him a very strong bench coach.

Byron played in Indiana while Billy Knight was an executive there, so if they make a move and let Billy Knight pick his guy, then it very well could be Byron Scott.

Well, Kareem played for probably the greatest coach in the history of basketball (at any level) in John Wooden. From what I've heard, a lot of Kareem's philosophy stems from what he learned from Wooden. I think if given the chance, Kareem could do very well.

For whatever reason, he is seemingly being blackballed by the league. Rick Barry is another guy who is being blackballed for whatever reason but would make an outstanding coach.