• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

From Insider.

Playmaker0017

I don't understand how anyone can knock this deal. The Hawks would have received nothing if they let Rasheed walk, so we acquired an additional first round pick. It's funny that you guys laugh at the Milwaukee pick, but I hate to remind you that our current starting 2 guard was the #21 pick in the 1st round. Josh Howard who starts for Dallas was a late first round pick. We don't know how deep or how good this draft is going to be until June. I remember hearing the same bad draft comments about last year's class until some of the underclassmen declared.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to wait 2 more years to start rebuilding? The great thing is, after next season, Crawford and Henderson's contracts come off the books. The Hawks are finally doing it right, and I congratulate Billy Knight for getting it done. The man inherited a mess from Babcock, and he is cleaning it up. You guys might think Isiah is doing it right, but how many of those guys have ever accomplished anything in the playoffs? If Marbury, T. Thomas, Nazr (god he is awful), Penny, and other's fail to advance in the playoffs, there is no turning back, because nobody on that team, except Marbury, is worth his current contract.

TROUBLEMAN

Dolfan,

I am upset Reef couldn't make it work here. I admit that unabashedly.

But, I don't think hinging the franchise on a draft prospect and a few late rounders is much to hope for.

The number of good FAs ATL will probably get are ZERO. The number of studs, ZERO. They will probably get a bunch of washed up nothings and a decent draft pick.

They'll be in the lottery the following year.

Play.

• Moderators

Quote:

I didn't know Felton and Warrick were solid. I think the draft is a crap shoot. P

Not to try to be insulting but did you read my post I said "solid guys to GAMBLE on."

The draft is a gamble but Felton or Telfair could be a star in the league - they have lots of potential. That potential may or may not be realized, hence the word gamble, but if you don't think the opportunity to draft guys of that caliber is worth something I think we just have to disagree.

• Moderators

Quote:

Dolfan,

I am upset Reef couldn't make it work here. I admit that unabashedly.

But, I don't think hinging the franchise on a draft prospect and a few late rounders is much to hope for.

The number of good FAs ATL will probably get are ZERO. The number of studs, ZERO. They will probably get a bunch of washed up nothings and a decent draft pick.

They'll be in the lottery the following year.

Play.

They've been in the lottery the last three years (just haven't kept their picks damn Babcock). They would have been in the lottery this year and the following year had they kept Shareef and Ratliff.

I agree with the posters who are saying that you can fault the Hawks for the Reef/Theo trade not including a young player or 1st rounder but you can't fault the Wallace trade IMO.

AHF,

I don't find much fault in the wallace trade.

My issue is that wallace was a Hawk in the first place.

Being in the lottery, two years with Reef/Theo gives us a solid core that might gel as long as we ditch JT.

I could be wrong and probably am being a bit biased, and moving Reef was the right thing for the franchise.... BUT ... they could have gotten more than rasheed/Person.

Plus, the Hawks let Person go soon.

• Moderators

Quote:

AHF,

I don't find much fault in the wallace trade.

My issue is that wallace was a Hawk in the first place.

Being in the lottery, two years with Reef/Theo gives us a solid core that might gel as long as we ditch JT.

I could be wrong and probably am being a bit biased, and moving Reef was the right thing for the franchise.... BUT ... they could have gotten more than rasheed/Person.

Plus, the Hawks let Person go soon.

I love Shareef (actually went to HS with him) but the Hawks were moving no where with him, Ratliff, etc. I wouldn't have minded the Hawks only trading Ratliff, JT and other players and keeping Reef but I understand the virtues of ripping the team totally apart and starting from scratch. I love Reef but he doesn't make a team a winner. He is better suited to a secondary star role and we'd never have the primary star unless we had more cap room or unless we get lucky in the draft.