• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Updated ESPN Insider NBA Rumor Mill

Admin

Will the Knicks ship Spree to the Pistons?

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Latrell Sprewell

Knicks

T-Wolves

Pistons

Bucks Jul. 17 - The latest Spree trade rumor, courtesy of the N.Y. Daily News, is a complicated three-team deal that would send Sprewell to Detroit, Jerry Stackhouse to Minnesota and bring Wally Szczerbiak home to the Knicks. The Bucks also have interest in a possible Latrell Sprewell-for-Glenn Robinson trade that has been circulating around the league for the last month? "Hell, yeah," coach George Karl told the NY Daily News. "That's Ernie's area," coach Karl said of GM Ernie Grunfeld. "Right now, we're willing to listen to anything." The Knicks have also made efforts to move Spree to the T-Wolves for big man Rasho Nesterovic and/or Szczerbiak. However, GM Kevin McHale has indicated that he doesn't intend to trade either player.

Kevin Garnett

T-Wolves

Sixers

Bulls Jul. 17 - If KG thinks he's underpaid now, wait until the Wolves give him their contract extension offer. Garnett is up for a contract extension this summer that could give him a deal that could land him as much as $283 million from the Wolves. Apparently, that's too rich for VP Kevin McHale's blood. The Minneapolis Star Tribune is reporting that the Wolves have been floating extension numbers -- fours years, $75 million -- that would average a whopping $12 million less in the first year of his salary. "If the house on this side of me sells for $100,000 and the house on that side of me sells for $100,000 but the only offers on my house are for $75,000, what's my house worth?" McHale said. "You have to gauge where you're at and what someone else can pay."

Wally Szczerbiak

T-Wolves

Knicks

Bulls

Jazz

Cavs

Blazers Jul. 17 - Szczerbiak's father, Walter, told the N.Y. Daily News that he didn't believe his son would demand the max from the Wolves but, like any player, "he wants the team to show appreciation for the fact he's been doing the right things." Despite the revelations, the Wally-to-the-Knicks trade rumors continued to fly. The Daily News reported that the latest trade scenario was a complicated three-team deal that would send Latrell Sprewell to Detroit and Jerry Stackhouse to Minnesota while bringing Szczerbiak home to the Knicks. "I think there is a small chance that he could be traded," Walter Szczerbiak said. "At least that is the speculation I get from [Timberwolves vice president] Kevin McHale. If they feel they're getting a player in return who fits into what they're trying to do, they won't hesitate to pull the trigger."

Allen Iverson

76ers

T-Wolves Jul. 16 - Allen Iverson's recent legal troubles have the Sixers wondering whether it's time to part ways with their talented but trouble laden star. Rumors were rampant this weekend that the T-Wolves and Sixers were talking about a trade. Would the T-Wolves really trade for Iverson? "I've always liked Allen," T-Wolves GM Kevin McHale told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "The problem with Allen is, his baggage used to have a couple of handbags. Now he has a suitcase. Right now, nothing seems to make sense to get a trade going. I like Allen, no question about that." Coach Flip Saunders is also interested in Iverson, but only at the right price. "Here's the thing you have to understand. No matter what, Allen still is extremely popular in Philadelphia and he's the franchise," Saunders said. "I like Allen. The reason we're not looking is they want too much. We won't trade for him. They're not in a trade scenario, and we're not in a scenario they're looking at." The question is, as Iverson's stock continues to drop in the wake of more legal troubles, could the price suddenly become right for Minnesota? Stay tuned.

Rashard Lewis

Sonics

Sonics

Rockets

Wizards

Bulls Jul. 16 - Sonics coach Nate McMillan, who was attending the summer league, told Insider that Sonics president Wally Walker and GM Rick Sund have been in Houston all week trying to secure a deal for Rashard Lewis. McMillan said that he's talked to Lewis and he wants to return to Seattle. "He wants to be here and I want him here. It's now just up to Rick [sund] to do his part now. I think everything will work itself out." Lewis is reportedly seeking a maximum deal while the Sonics are offering him a contract for six years, $55 million. That's a $30 million gap. McMillan, however, said he didn't think the gulf was that wide anymore.

Andre Miller

Cavs

Knicks

Clippers

Pacers

Wizards

Jazz

Warriors

Magic

T-Wolves

Bucks Jul. 16 - Are the Cavs still trying to swing a trade for Andre Miller? "I've had a lot of calls and I'm not doing my job unless I'm talking to teams.," Cavs GM Jim Paxson told the Akron Beacon Journal. "I don't think anybody on our team is untouchable. Trying to trade him is that I'm calling all 28 teams and saying, 'What will you give for Andre Miller?' That's never been the case.... If we choose to trade Andre at some point, I've been pretty straightforward that we need to get two young players." The Clippers are still trying to swing a deal for Miller after the botched a draft day trade. However, the Cavs are still pushing for Darius Miles to be included in the deal. The Knicks will keep trying to pry away Miller, but they have little the Cavs would be interested in. The Pacers may be in the best position to make something happen. They can offer Jamaal Tinsley, Al Harrington and Freddie Jones for Miller.

Baron Davis

Hornets

Clippers

Knicks

Warriors

T-Wolves

Magic

Pacers Jul. 16 - Davis made a surprise appearance at the Hornets-Heat summer league game Saturday. Davis sat on the bench with the team, but said he remains undecided about whether to accept the Hornets' maximum-money, six-year, $84 million contract extension offered July 1. "It's definitely a tough decision that I have to make," Davis told the Times Picayune. "I'll take some time to think about it so I can make the right decision. It's a process, and the offer is still on the table. That's all I can say right now. It's the bulk of your career. I'm just going to let things unfold. I have no control -- the only control I have is if I sign the contract or not." Davis' agent, Jerome Staley, is pushing for a trade to the Clippers or Knicks. Right now the Hornets are taking a hard-line stance, saying they won't trade Davis, but evidence suggets otherwise. Davis was almost traded to the Clippers on draft night. If the Hornets and Davis don't come to an agreement, he'll become a restricted free agent next summer. That could pave the way for Davis to join the team of his choice. The Magic, Spurs, Wizards, Sonics, Nuggets, Heat, and Cavs will all have significant cap room next summer.

Austin Croshere

Pacers

Celtics Jul. 11 - The Pacers have talked with the Celtics about a trade that would send Croshere and Jamaal Tinsley to the Celtics for Kenny Anderson. The Pacers like Tinsley, but are concerned about his outside shooting and immaturity. Anderson gives them a veteran backcourt leader and allows them to get Croshere off the books. With only one year remaining on his contract, he isn't a big risk. In the long run, the Pacers think they may have a keeper at point guard in last year's second-round pick, Jamison Brewer. For the Celtics, they knew that they were going to have to start their point guard search sooner or later and Tinsley has tremendous upside. Adding Croshere would allow them to let Rodney Rogers slip away and keep them out of the luxury tax. To make this deal work financially, the trade couldn't happen until August 1st, when Croshere loses his base-year status.

Keith Van Horn

Nets

Jazz Jul. 10 - Are the Nets shopping Van Horn again? According to the N.Y. Post, Rod Thorn, the Nets' president, inquired about Jazz free agents Bryon Russell and Donyell Marshall to their agent, Dwight Manley, this week. Manley told Thorn that a deal would not work unless their was a sign-and-trade. The Nets tried to work out a Van Horn for Marshall and Russell trade last summer.

Tim Duncan

Spurs

Spurs

Magic Jul. 8 - Next summer was supposed to be the summer of Tim Duncan. Now, with an increasingly impatient coach and front office, it looks like the Magic may be abandoning their plan to save cap room and pursue Duncan in 2003 for some immediate help right now. With the Spurs locking into a place a strong supporting cast to complement Duncan in San Antonio, it's looking less likely that Duncan will be making a move to Orlando next summer anyway. Orlando is still actively dangling Mike Miller and Darrell Armstrong as bait to land a big man. Trade scenarios reportedly have the Magic interested in Golden State's Danny Fortson, Chicago's Marcus Fizer or Atlanta's Nazr Mohammed. GM John Gabriel will likely wait until after the Magic's summer league to pull the trigger on any trade.

Mike Miller

Magic

Bulls

Cavs

Warriors Jul. 8 - Orlando is still actively dangling Mike Miller and Armstrong as bait to land a big man. Trade scenarios reportedly have the Magic interested in Golden State's Danny Fortson, Chicago's Marcus Fizer or Atlanta's Nazr Mohammed. The Magic won't give Miller away, but if the can land a top-flight big man, he's gone.

Elton Brand

Clipps

Everyone Jul. 1 - Just three days after Donald Sterling proclaimed that "money doesn't matter to me," it looks like the NBA's resident cheapskate isn't putting his money where his mouth is. The New York Daily News reported Sunday that Sterling recently informed Elton Brand that he's not getting "max money." David Falk, Brand's agent, "went crazy," according to the News. The Clipps reportedly told Darius Miles the same thing. That's at odds with an L.A. Times report on Thursday where Sterling was quoted as saying he'd max out Brand. "We would like to sign him for six years [a maximum contract]," Sterling said. "I'm sure that's Elgin Baylor's plan to sign him, and to do it this year. Elton is a quality player and a quality person, and of all the players we have, there is a clear consensus he belongs here as a cornerstone of the franchise." If the Clipps do fail to give Brand an extension this summer, he becomes and restricted free agent next year. With Michael Olowokandi, Lamar Odom and Corey Maggette also do for new contracts this summer, shafting Brand could start a very bad precedent.

Nick Van Exel

Mavs

Knicks Jun. 26 - Now that the Knicks have completed the deal with Denver and sent Marcus Camby, Mark Jackson and Nene Hilario to the Nuggets for McDyess and Frank Williams, will they still go after Van Exel. The Knicks were talking to the Mavs last night about a deal that would send Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward to the Mavs for Nick Van Exel. The Knicks would prefer Andre Miller, but this isn't a bad second option.

Lamar Odom

Clippers

Sixers

Heat

Rockets

Bulls Jun. 20 - While the Clippers continue to insist that they want to give the relationship another year to see if it works, the speculation is still running rampant the Clippers are listening to offers for Odom. A league source told Insider Wednesday that the Sixers called the Clippers about a trade that would send Snow to L.A. for Odom. The Clippers are looking for an old school point guard to take Jeff McInnis's place, and train import Marko Jaric. Odom would be a major piece to the puzzle for the Sixers. Larry Brown has been searching for several years for the right small forward to complement Iverson. If Odom can keep his head on straight and stay away from the hooch, he still has the potential to be a superstar. The Clipps can't afford him, but Philly might be able to.

Dikembe Mutombo

76ers

Blazers

Knicks

Mavs

Suns Jun. 18 - The Blazers are in desperate need of a center to battle the other Goliaths out West. Could Mutombo be in their future? The Miami Herald reported that the Blazers and Sixers are talking about a trade that would send Dale Davis and Bonzi Wells (in a sign-and-trade) to the Sixers for Mutombo. The trade would give the Blazers the shot-blocking big man they covet and the Sixers a serviceable center for the height-challenged Eastern Conference along with another explosive scorer to complement Allen Iverson.

Michael Jordan

Wizards

David Stern May. 31 - Tim Grover, Michael Jordan's long-time trainer, hasn't seen him. Neither, for that matter, have the Wizards. Jordan has reportedly spent the offseason in Chicago resting his sore knees. He hasn't attended any of the Wizards' pre-draft workouts. Nor has he shown his face at Hoops gym, where he was a regular this time last season. Is MJ having second thoughts about playing again next season? The Washington Post reported today that Jordan is expected to resume workouts Saturday. How Jordan's knee responds to those workouts will likely determine whether Jordan will return to the NBA for another season. Although it is still early, Grover feels that Jordan needs to begin training by mid-June to get into good enough shape to withstand the rigors of another NBA season. If Jordan's knee continues to be a problem, he may not have the time to prepare.

Michael Olowokandi

Clippers

Clippers

Mavs

Bulls May. 16 - He may be the second most coveted center in the NBA behind Shaq? Olowokandi becomes a restricted free agent this summer. Will the Clipps cave into his demand for the max? GM Elgin Baylor recently told Olowokandi that they would do what it takes to re-sign him. He'll have company. Mavs owner Mark Cuban told the Fort Worth Star Telegram Thursday that the team is interested in the Kandi-man "That's certainly a center with a very solid body," assistant coach Donnie Nelson said about Olowokandi. "He'll give us another international guy, so he'll fit right in." Olowokandi is represented by the same agent as Mavs point guard Steve Nash, Bill Duffy. But signing Olowokandi would be a longshot. The Mavs, because they are over the cap, can't offer anything more than their $4.5 million exception. The Mavs could try to broker a sign-and-trade for Olowokandi, but they'd have to give up one of their stars. Clippers VP Andy Roeser told the L.A. Times a few weeks ago that the Clippers will make an effort to take care of all of their players. "Not only do we want and need to take a step forward, we're in a position to do it," Roeser told the L.A. Times. "We're going to be over the cap. It's inevitable. We understand that. I think, when you look at the success of this team and the direction of this team, we'll be able to do it and still support the higher payroll." Given the Clipps history, it's OK to be a bit skeptical. If they balk, Cuban and Jerry Krause are waiting in the wings . . .

Gary Payton

Sonics

Heat

Blazers

Knicks

Bucks May. 10 - Will the Sonics extend Gary Payton's contract this summer? It sure doesn't sound like it. "Gary's fine," coach Nate McMillian told reporters Thursday. "He's going to always come to play. Not once has he said anything to me about it [extension]. I expect Gary to honor the contract and be OK." Payton, who is 33, is afraid that if he does not get an extension this summer, his value after next season may decline. If the Sonics won't budge, will Payton try to force the Sonics to trade him this summer? Several veteran teams, including the Heat, Blazers, Bucks and Knicks, would love to have the Glove. The Sonics may have no choice but to trade him now, while his value is still sky high.

Charles Oakley

Bulls

Magic

Lakers

Wizards May. 2 - After being beaten into submission by the Hornets in Round 1, the Magic need to find a hired gun tough guy for one season. Tracy McGrady has an idea who it should be. "I wish we had a Charles Oakley. We need to get that kind of mentality that he brings," McGrady said. "You get a guy like that, and it rubs off on everyone. He's a winner. I don't want to be one of those guys who takes six or seven tries in the first round to get to the next level."