How can we get the Clippers' #8 pick?

kelston827

I've thought since the very beginning that this would end up being an 8-horse draft and it looks like it's going to work out that way. Assuming Dunleavy stays in.

Based on everything I've read it seems that the consensus has:

Ming

Williams

Dunleavy

Gooden

Woods

Tskitishivili

Butler

Wilcox

as the top eight. If we could find a way to get #8 from the Clips I would be ecstatic about getting either Butler or Wilcox. A lineup of:

JT

Butler

DJ

SAR

Theo could be very good in a year or two. But how could we get that pick? The only way I see it possible is if they decide to not pay Khandiman and they like Nazr for some reason (probably for his reasonable contract). If that was the case, I wouldn't think twice about shipping him there for the chance to draft any one of the guys on that list.

The realist in me tells me that we just don't have the players to make a trade for that pick, even though the Clips have been reportedly been listening to offers for it.

I don't agree that this year's draft is gonna be an 8-horse race. On the contrary, I think it's gonna be pretty deep in the sense that, mullet ballers that are getting so much hype are going to push some legit collegiate talent into the low first and second rounds. There are three SFs on NBADradt.net who're projected to go around or after #37 who I think will be hardcore sleepers, Tayshaun Prince, Vinny Yarborough, and Ryan Humphrey, they may not be immeditae difference makers, but I don't think they'll have the same low ceiling that the much hyped mullets will prove to have. MikeyD would look tough in red n white next year tho....eh I can dream too. LOL

The point is that the quality of player we'll get at #37 would not even be close to that of a player we could get at #8. I'd be happy with Humphrey at #37, but I'd be much, much happier with Butler at #8. I think he'll be there, too.

Still, I don't think we have what the Clips want.

IF Babcock was a smart man we would have the pick

right now.Giving up two top draft picks for Lo...what

a joke.Pete is a idiot and everyone including non hawk

fans know it.

Butler would've been the perfect fit for us, too bad there is no way in hell we get the pick unless we give up two of our 4 building blocks (JT, DJ, SAR, Theo).

A guy I would like to trade to get is Chris Jefferies. He's a 6'8 swingman with great athleticism and awesome defense. Jefferies and Nachbar are two guys that could help us out and will be around in picks 10-15.

Pete is a nice guy but he just makes some knucklehead decisions. SOme would say that we wouldn't have Shareef now if it wasn't for LO but I still think we could have found a way to get Reef without giving up 2 picks.

I don't think pete's an idiot for trading to picks for LO, but I do think he is an idiot for not sending them a pick much earlier. Like 2000 when we had 4 #1's and we drafted Cal Bowdler. Why the hell didn't he send the clippers the pick that year we had like 2 pick in the 20's one really late that we took Jumaine Jones with. And then we trade jones away for what and keep bowdler? I just dont know what he was thinking. If you have to send someone a first why not send a late 20 in the year you have 4 #1's? Now we end up giving up the # 8 pick overall go figure.

The other pick had to be OUR OWN pick. That pick was protected to some degree for a few years but the protection got lower each year until we ran out of luck this year. We DEFINITELY didn't want to give them our #3 last year or #6 overall the year before. There is no way Pete could have predicted we would be this bad for 3 consecutive years after he traded for Lo.

my point is that this is a deep draft and there's no 'The Next...fill in the blank' type player. I would use this years pick to draft for a backup, get through next season and let Nazr, Ira, and Theo further raise their stock, then try to put ourselves in a position to get LeBron James. He's just as unproven as anyone in this year's draft, we'll have a first rounder (maybe two or three if we can cash in fron Indie and Det) to bartyr with, and our tradeable noncore players will have a chance to improve their stats and stocks.

Sure babs had no idea.He just always makes a big mistake at

the wrong times right?What did we have?JJ/Lo/Mutombo/Coles/Hendu?

Surely babs didn't think that team would really win basketball

games.JJ who is ok,is always the type of guy that does better

on bad teams with Dallas/Philly/GS/us for first season and now

Miami.

Bottomline,Giving up two first round picks for Lo was stupid just

like 90% of the moves babcock makes.If it turns up Theo will not

help then we LOST in that trade.How did we lose?To be honest,

letting Deke walk away for nothing is better than getting Toni/Theo

high paid injuries and Nazr.