• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Thread for the last half of the 1st round

Admin

Guys lets post the remaining picks for the 1st round starting here since we are already onto page 2 for the first half.

Thanks to everyone for making their picks so far. This has been a lot more fun than the last 2 years.

By the way, you guys might be interested in seeing this. I just realized that I still had last years mock draft online. Take a look at some of the reasons for picks, its pretty interesting

http://www.layerfx.com/squawk/mockdraft.asp

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Luke Jackson

Forward/Guard.

Height: 6-7

Weight: 215 lbs.

We like Luke. We like his ability to play many roles. We see him as a replacement for the often Injured Harpring. Out of this draft, we have put together a pretty strong core and all we have to do is reup on Lopez or trade for Terry. As a Guard, Luke knows how to take advantage of mismatches, whereby he post up and get his shot over smaller players. As a Forward, Luke's passising is such that when mixed with AK and Giricek, he can be a 5.0 apg player. We like the fact that he hits his threes when he shoots them but he doesn't try to shoot them all the time.

Player Name: Al Jefferson

Position: PF

School: Prentiss, HS

Reason: We are excited that Al Jefferson has fallen to us with the 17th pick. We now leave end the first round with a solid core of picks, and we believe Josh Smith and Al Jefferson are the future of this team. Al Jefferson can become a very powerful player in this league, but he does have alot to improve on, and we will work very hard in making his jump to the NBA a comfortable one. We have alot of holes on our team, and we now feel we have made solid picks to fill the voids of our forward positions. Al Jefferson can become the Hawks leader on the court in due time.

Josh Smith and Al Jefferson. Without giving up our 2nd rounders and any future picks.....these picks certainly dont help us too much this year......but could pay big dividends 3-4 years down the road with 2 potential big time star players.

Question is, can we wait that long KNOWING that we wont get much better?

Since Boondocks didnt make his pick......I am going to pick for him.

Kris Humphries

PF

Minnesota

PJ Brown isnt getting any younger and Humphries will give the Hornets one of the best, maybe the best 4-5 punches in the eastern conference. Humphries is a tireless worker and rebounder and next to Magloire there wont be a rebound to be had for opposing teams. Humphries is a little undersized height wise for a PF, but Magloire will be able to protect him against any problems that he might have. With decent range and great rebounding skills he was really the only choice for this pick.

Hey Cap, yeah if you just want to email me a list of players that you want and some reasons. That will end up being more work for you.........or if you want you can try and find someone to take your picks. Whatever is easier for you.

Jameer Nelson

Birthdate: 2/9/82

NBA Position: Point Guard

College: St. Joseph's

Class: Senior

Ht: 6-0

Wt: 190

Strengths: Nelson was widely regarded as the best point guard in college basketball in 2004. He is strong, quick, intense and has a great basketball IQ…Equally strong going left or right, Jameer is excellent at running off screens and hitting the open J or finding the cutter for an open basket. His killer crossover has been well documented and is as good as advertised … He can shoot from anywhere on the court and is a very creative passer. His speed and strength make him a dynamic penetrator and his court awareness allows him to always find an opening or open teammate … An excellent rebounder for his position, making Jameer extremely effective at starting the fast break … Jameer is a determined scoring point guard who should find a strating spot in the League.

I feel this is a desperate position that the Heat need. They dont have a PG nor a center, well the best player available for a PG is Jameer and best center available is Swift. Now Jameer is a college graduate is ready to play and is proven in the college level while Swift is really a project, he is only 18 and will need a couple of years to develop. The Heat made it to the 2nd round last year and with Jameer, he can definitely help them. Jameer is the best available player and is definitely a safe pick, more than safe

Take a look at that thread and read the text. I said that I had found that I still had last years mock draft up and that it was an interesting read.

If you look at every one of my posts, the link to this years mock draft is in my signature.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sergei Monya

6'8" 220 SG/SF

Birthdate: 4/15/83

Strengths (taken from Draft City): At 6-8, Sergei Monya is one of the most interesting wing prospects in the draft. He has the skills needed to play both swingman positions in the NBA. He has a very good NBA body already with an excellent frame to add on even more bulk if needed. He shows great athleticism, with nice mobility and a good vertical leap. In fact, it's not unusual to see him jumping in the starting tip off of the CSKA games.Monya is a pretty good defender, and not just by European standards. He has some decent lateral quickness and a distinct physical presence, he's not afraid to mix it up. Takes advantage of his height, vertical leap and long arms very well, rebounding comes easy for him. In Europe he often uses his height and body to post up his man. Look for this to be developed into another weapon when he makes it to the NBA. Monya loves to take the ball to the hoop. He penetrates fearlessly and he'll usually either finish with a spectacular dunk or find the open man. He plays under control. Very good fundamentals. He is a player with good attitude on the court. He plays for the team, not selfish at all. Not afraid to make an extra effort to make a play. He's very tough mentally both on and off the court.

Weaknesses (taken from Draft City): There isn't anything especially bad you can say about Monya. Perhaps his worst characteristic is that, offensively, he's just a role player. He will struggle to create his own shot, his first step is decent for European play, but maybe not quick enough for the NBA. His movement without the ball isn't off the charts and will probably struggle initially to get used to the NBA style of play.The truth is, while he can do many little things on the court to help his team, he needs to improve in every aspect of the game. His shot is still far from being solid enough. When penetrating, he slashes very well, but can't really pull up and hit the midrange shot as expected from NBA 2 guards. He needs to improve his ball handling. His court vision is limited. He could still use his athleticism and long body better on the defensive end.

Based on everything I read, it sounds like Monya could go as high as 14 so getting him at 20 would be a steal for Denver. In addition, he is a big, athletic guy who is ready to contribute now. Denver could plug him in at SG and have a HUGE lineup:

Camby - 6'11"

Hilario - 6'10"

Anthony - 6'8"

Monya - 6'8"

Miller -6'2"

I also considered taking Dorell Wright or Robert Swift here. Dorell Wright is being compared to T Mac but he needs time to develop and Monya is ready to contribute right now. Swift would be a good pick too but like Wright, he needs time to develop. Denver is ready to win NOW.

If I'm Denver, I resign Camby and make a play for Okur and Ginobili in free agency. Next year, they lineup:

Camby/Okur

Hilario/Anderson

Anthony/White/Tskitishvili

Ginoboli/Monya/Lenard

Miller/Boykins

I think that is a very good, deep playoff team that could be a title contender in a few years.