• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Another Draft Rumor

JTFan31

• Premium Member

This is what happened around the trade deadline. Remember all the reports that Atlanta was "desperately" trying to dump salary? Anyone who posts over on RealGM can attest to the atrocious trade proposals that were made to us; we couldn't believe it, but look at how it went down. When teams know what you want, they do all that they can to get the most out of you.

So we stand at the threshold of the draft and *surprise* everyone has Dwight Howard penciled into our draft plans. He's big, talented, and from Atlanta...why not? The problem here is that everyone thinks that we are desperate to draft the kid so everyone is playing an angle for us.

Orlando simply wants to get an ear in what the Hawks have to offer. Obviously, they are looking at our available cap space to dump some players into. The sports media spinning this too. Never underestimate their power. They have as much interest in this as the teams do. Where there is intrigue, there is the media there to spin it.

What you really have to do is read between the lines. The game is Poker, and it would be foolish to put your cards in plain sight. So anything that we've seen in the press was meant to be in the press - meaning the only people who know what's going on have given specific information to sports reporters.

Orlando is looking at Okafor. They do not want to invest in a HS project that will not help keep TMac in Flordia.

The Clippers do not need another front court prospect and want the best possible deal for the #2.

Dwight Howard wants to play for the Atlanta Hawks and he DOES NOT want to play for the Clippers.

The Hawks need Dwight Howard. Not neccessarily the talent in Howard, but in the buzz that he would create. He is talented though, and a PF prospect which is always good to build around, so he is likely their #1 candidate. I also believe that the Hawks know that the #17 pick will have to be dealt to someone to get what they want out of this draft, but the Hawks are looking to select two 1st round guys. Having all this cap space available makes it easier to do.

When it's all said and done, I expect the Magic to select Okafor - who Magic Fans, Magic press, as well as the rest of the world seems to be leaning on. I expect the Hawks to end up with Dwight Howard and there is a better than average chance that we will end up with two 1st round selections.

• Premium Member

That was in line with Blunt's comments; still, Crawford isn't on my radar. He's a good player that would come for (realitively) cheap, but you still have to question are we going after this guy because he's tall and can play combo guard or is he truly the kind of talent we want?

My thing is, I am done trying to find the flavor of the month that mixes with JT. We've started over and it's time to move forward.

Crawford by no means can play, but I think Sura is a better fit to this team. Sura is toughminded, gritty, scrappy and can also play, he was breaking down defenses last year, penetrating and dishing, he was rebounding great as well.

I am sure Sura can continue this kind of performance next year and I rather see him as a starter than Jamal. I have a feeling that Knight will go after a big man next year to lineup with Howard......I wouldnt mind seeing K-Mart and Howard in the front court or Swift and Howard.

We've started over but, realistically, JT is still on the team. If we are unable to get Livingston, Harris, or Gordon, we still have a need.

It would be nice if Billy could trade JT for something the team needs, but it has not happened yet. JT for Crawford works for me if we don't get Livingston, Harris or maybe Gordon if he is 6'3". To get Howard, we may have to give up drafting a big guard.

So, working with what we have in hand today, and factoring in what we currently can get out of the draft, I think Crawford could be a good young talent to consider adding to the club. He's a scorer, and he can create (his assists increased significantly last year with his playing time even though he was not the designated PG on the floor) and play D when motivated to do so. His TOs were high last year, but I think a lot of that had to do with him attempting to do too much on a bad team.

He's not the only FA option (I also like M. Daniels even more), but he is a young talented player coming into his own and still has some upside.

• Premium Member

If we're building a new team, then we need to start all the way over. JT got to go. For 1, he makes too much for what he brings. For 2, I have seen no improvement. For 3, we have bent over backwards trying to cover his weaknesses.

I say JT to INdy.

Harrington/#30 to Chicago.

Robinson/#3 to us.

And if we get Okafor #2. Good. We take Livingston #3 and we roll on... Jax is either or for me. I'd definitely take Foyle for cheap and I would terrorize teams with our defense.

Livingston/SG/SF/Okafor/Foyle.

We can fill in the blanks with 2nd rounders and FAs.. The point is that it's time for JT to go.

and it's also the problem with Sura. He hasn't finished a season in awhile. Even here, when he didn't play much at all the first half.

IMO, giving him any sort of contract might be a bad idea for a team that will likely be struggling with chemistry and continuity. I really like the guy, how he plays...but he can't shoot from outside (25%) and in truly injury prone (a tag I don't place on that many).