• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Damien Wilkins worth drafting at th43rdpick??

Blunt91

I know some of you who have seen him play say that he isn't a spectacular athlete and isn't even in the class of his Dad Gerald Wilkins but from what was written about him at the Chicago predraft camp he seems to warrant a chance to making the team. He seems to be a good defender and while he might not be very quick he still has hops. They say he delivered a draw dropping dunk during one of the games last week. I really haven't watched much of him but I think he can at least be close to what Dion Glover did for the team. He could be a Dion GLover with better defense but with less range on his shot. As a firstround pick GLover was a Dissapointment but if he was a secondround pick it would have been a good pick. If Wilkins can deliver close to GLover's production he wouldn't be a bad pick in the second round in my book. Wilkins also seems to have the right attitude and willing to work hard on his game from the answers he gave after the Hawks worked him out a few weeks ago.

I think the Hawks maybe able to sign him as a undrafted free agent, but a team may take a chance on him. I have read his stock is going up some, because teams like what they have seen of him during workouts.

Alot depends on who is left out their for the Hawks to select, but I hope we are able to look at alot of undrafted players.

Diaw is a worse shooter than Glover especially freethrows and Glove still has a chance to be a decent player if he lands in the right situation which isn't Toronto he needs to head west maybe try Denver Nuggets.

To me the only thing Glover could do was drive to the basket. I do not consider him to be a well-rounded player which you need at the SF position. Diaw may not be a great shooter but if initiating offense is his biggest weakness then he has a ton of upside as defense and court vision are difficult to teach.

I'm not hating on Glover I just don't feel that he did much in his time here to make me want another like him.

I don't know where that comparison comes from.

Dion Glover was a scorer who used his athleticism before his injury. He was a decent ball handler, but wouldn't confuse anyone with a point guard. He was a terrible defender.

Damien Wilkins is a longer, more versatile player. The guy is 6'7" tall with a 7'0" wingspan. He can play the point guard position, shooting guard position, and the small forward position. He's a capable but not great scorer. He lead the team in assists coming off the bench in the 2002-2003 season and was second on the team in assists during teh 2003-2004 season. He was the team captain and the most vocal leader on the team. Wilkins can also finish in the open floor. He may not be the all around athlete that his uncle and father were, but he does have some of their leaping ability in his calves.

While his upside is limited, I think he's got a chance to become a good back up player in the NBA because of his versatility. Damien Wilkins has tremendous court sense and a great feel for the game.

with your thoughts on Wilkins versus Glover. I almost posted similar thoughts earlier. Glover and Wilkins are not similar players at all. Wilkins developed into a real team player who could help his team in a number of ways. Glover, especially in college, was a slasher highlight reel type player with very limited overall game. IMO Wilkins has far better dribbling skills than Glover. I predict we will pick Wilkins in the second round b/c of the positive p.r. and because Knight likes players with Wilkins' overall versatile game.

• Premium Member

I think the 43rd pick is reserved for Wilkins. NO doubt. Not only based on the fact that he's family, but he has game. Not only that, but we are limited at the SG spot... He will get a shot...