• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Not that it matters, but Jay Bilas's opinion.....

deester11

Is just that. His opinion. I think he was obnoxious in spewing the negatives about Josh Smith. I'll present a few views BEFORE the draft. Seems to me that the people who bashed us, don't like the Hawks. For instance in Chicago, Sam Smith (basketball writer) didn't pan the talent of Childress/Smith, but he made it known that they were bad because they were coming to the Hawks. For us to have done so bad, most objective papers felt that Childress, and J.Smith were in the top 10 as far as talent:

DETROIT FREE PRESS

Rated Josh Smith ahead of Childress. Says that Smith is the best athlete in the draft, and that Childress is thin but tough.

PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS

Childress:Can play multiple positions because of diverse skills. Above average long-range shooter. Wonderful defensive player. RATED THE FIFTH BEST PLAYER.

J. Smith: Can run the floor with anyone. Extremely exciting above-the-rim player and tremendous leaper. Decent left-handed shooter. Body still filling out. RATED TENTH BEST.

HOUSTON CHRONICLE

Childress:Josh Childress

One of better rebounding perimeter players. ... Has a knack like Steve (Francis) to get to the ball. ... Quick off his feet.

J.Smith:Off the charts athletically. ... Size projects to a three, but he needs to learn that position.

RATED TOP NBA PROSPECTS....

Does any of these views or reports scream that we got nothing in the draft? I think not. I like what Billy is doing and I hope Knight sticks to his plan. Not Bilas's or anyone elses.

Josh Smith was an excellent pick, especially at 17. Bilas is an a-hole spilling a bunch of non-sense about this kid. This is the best day in this kids life and he is going to call him the biggest bust......at 17 Josh will not be a bust at all. Now if he was drafted in the top 3 and didn't pan out then maybe but he will not be a bust at 17 and he has probably more upside than anyone in this draft.

ESPN is always down on all Atlanta organizations, so this does not surprise me.

Bilas's opinion of Josh Smith would be largely different if Smith had decided to sign with Duke instead of Indiana.

This is a case of the media using the Hawks as their whipping boys. These players rate highly until the Hawks take them, and then they suddenly aren't as good as they thought.

KB, you hit it right on the head...These guys get good reviews...until they put on the Hawks gear.

It's like when a guy plays for the Yankees, they're a top prospect or a better player than if they were wearing a Devil Ray uniform (except for the past two weeks).

It's all perception, and it's up to Billy and the boys to change that perception. Things change quick in this league, and perceptions can too.

I agree Jay. I think J.Smith's dad took it better than I would have. The guys still a kid. The constant bashing of Atlanta sports in general is bad enough, but to the hard core fans it's a slap in the face. I proudly tell everyone I'm a Hawks fan. I wish they were more consistent winners, but like you guys have said. It's up to Billy and Co., to change outside perception.

We haven't got any on our "bandwagon " yet. Most fans are unfortunately fickle. They support whatever team is going well, and they don't want to be associated with losers. Many Laker fans in ATL have already become Piston fans, lol....and most of them are closet Hawk fans.

You are not a TRUE fan anyway. I hate "bandwagon" fans. If you are a true fan you are with your team when they are down and when they up.

I have several friends who were lakers fans and now they are jumping off their laker wagon like Cubans jumping off a boat. I call all of them out.

We are true fans on this board because we are with the team during the dog days and the good days.

Watch the number of people on this forum triple when we start to win.

• Premium Member

I used to have this arguement with a few people around the 'net. You know, the ones who say that we'll never attract fans, and how the fans that do sell out the good games (Lakers, Orlando, Philly, etc...) aren't really fans.

As soon as the Hawks establish an identity and start to play with flair, and as soon as Smith fills up a few sportcenter highlights, the fairweather fans will come out in droves. Sportin' the Hawks jerseys and claiming to be fans "since the days of 'Nique." What's funny is that anyone who is a true fan now was probably a true fan back then, so there's no reason for us to say that we've been fans since the "good ol' days."

Personally, I don't give a sh#t. We've got a new team baby!!!!! It's just exciting to know that we've embarked upon a new era. Watching the team grow is just as fun as, if not more fun than, watching them win. I can't wait for the summer leagues!

Yes, exactly KB. I think true fans get more reward than bandwagon fans, because after the roller coaster ride they can see the team they have been loyal to succeed. It is a very nice feeling indeed. I beleive in being loyal to the "home team" as well...Wherever you are, or if you don't live in a state with a team , the nearby team..

Yep. I live in Mississippi, and until recently, Atlanta was the closest pro team to the state. The Grizzlies are in Memphis now, but I will never change from being a Hawks fan. I started being a fan in the mid 80s, and I have been one ever since. Considering that I was born in 1978, that's pretty much been my entire life.