• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

18 million to spend

tmac13

OK, we have around 18 million in salary cap room after we get all of our picks signed. This is assuming we don't make any trades.

We have..

JT,Ivy

Childress,Hansen

Diaw,Donta,Josh Smith

CC, Hendu

That leaves us at least 3 people to sign, a power forward and 2 centers..I also think we will sign another point guard to play ahead of Ivy. It might be safe to assume that Hendu is hurt, so maybe another forward will be added.

So that means at least 3 players, and maybe up to 5.

I agree with most of you that Swift will be a target.I also think that Collier may have earned a shot at a return, especially looking at the lineup and JT being the only proven offensive threat.It also wouldn't surprise me if we make a real run at KMart..I know most of you don't think he is a max contract player, but his tenacity and toughness may be exactly what we need to help teach these young guys how to play..Thoughts?......

I think you are right, we will sign at least 1 PF and 2 Centers. I think we will sign 5 players though and use the IR (We sure do have a lot of real injuries as the year goes on).

I look for

PG: Back-up PG(~.5M)

PF: Martin(~9M)/Ekezie(~.5m)

C: Okur(~5M)/Pryzbilla(~2M)

We have to put ourselves in position to sign a MAX free agent next year. That won't be too difficult because Hendu and CC will come off the books, and JT will be very tradeable.

Whatever plans we have, though, should include keeping cap space open for next season.

• Premium Member

I say we sign Fizer 2 years 5.5 million. (Starts at 2.5)

We sign Collier 2 years 4.5 million. (Starts at 2.0)

We sign Charlie Ward 2 years 8.4 million. (starts at 4.0)

We sign Swift at 5 years 36 million. (Starts at 6.1)

We sign Foyle 3 Years 13.2 million. (Starts at 4.0)

We sign Pryz for 3 years 10.56 million. (Starts at 3.2)

In the end:

JT/Ward/Ivy

Childress/Hansen

Diaw/Smith/Smith

Swift/Fizer/Collier

Foyle/Pryz

That's right, Diesel says CUT Hendu and CC. Make JT/Ward Captains and let's go forward.

I've said it before.

We CANNOT blow our cap space on a bunch of mid-level players. From now on, when you make suggestions about whom we should sign you need to consider what will be obligated when we attempt to sign FA's next year.

Let's say we do what you said:

I say we sign Fizer 2 years 5.5 million. (Starts at 2.5)

We sign Collier 2 years 4.5 million. (Starts at 2.0)

We sign Charlie Ward 2 years 8.4 million. (starts at 4.0)

We sign Swift at 5 years 36 million. (Starts at 6.1)

We sign Foyle 3 Years 13.2 million. (Starts at 4.0)

We sign Pryz for 3 years 10.56 million. (Starts at 3.2)

How much would be obligated for next off-season? 3 + 2.5 + 4.4 + 6.4 + 4.4 + 3.5 = 24.2 million bux!!!

We have to keep a MAX SPOT OPEN. I do NOT agree with spending all of our money on these scrubs.

Me neither. Let Fizer get 2.5M somewhere else. I think Collier is a keeper but could be had for less than 2+M. No way we give Charlie Ward 4+M. Pryzbilla might be worth around 3M. Not sure about him yet. Swift will probably get about that amount. I'd first offer 6yr/36M before 5. I don't know much about Foyle but I think I'll pass. I'd rather have Etan Thomas or trade for a Kurt Thomas type.

On a side note, in todays AJC the Hawks article states that Kenyon Martin will definitely be taking a trip to Atlanta. Maybe this is just for the MAX so NJ will match or whatever but at least he's considering. I would like to get him for something just below the MAX. 6yr/65M? If he wants the MAX, I say just try and spend that much on a combination of players like Swift/E.Thomas or Swift/Okur. Those are still solid players and next year we will still have space for a MAX player. That player would probably be a PG or a guy that could bring the ball up the court and let Diaw play PG. With this already in place....

JT/Ivey

Child/Hansen

Diaw/Smith/Smith

Swift/Collier

Okur/Pryzbilla

That would have to look attractive to a FA, especially if we get a good coach in here. We could use JT as trade.

• Premium Member

and...

First, let's start with a correction...

Quote:

How much would be obligated for next off-season? 3 + 2.5 + 4.4 + 6.4 + 4.4 + 3.5 = 24.2 million bux!!!

You got some Phantom numbers in here. The budget I produced came out to 21.8 million. That's the 18 + 1 MCE if needed.

Second... Look over those contracts... Every 2 year deal automatically has a player out at the end of the year. Every 3 yr deal could be written with a team out at the end of this year.

Third.... We are not a win now team. Regaurdless of How you try to write it up. Our FA time is NEXT Year.

The proposal is written out with this in mind...

At the end of next year, CC + Hendu + Hansen will be gone.

We may have a need for a BU SG (Draft)... and that's fine. However, in free agency, we need to find either a PF or a C.

Now you say, we need to keep a MAX SPOT OPEN. Really... How? If you haven't understood yet...

The easiest way to get a free agent player is through the trade of Ending contracts. That's how we got where we are in the first place. However, we need to keep a competitive team together. We need to look for star potential in this FA series... AND We need to realize that JT will BE Trade bait if he's around. It's his contract that's eating up all the Capspace. PLUS.. I think you need to relook at the numbers...

Right now with Nobody signed, we're sitting at 25.4 million

Childress - 2.4 million.

Josh Smith - 1.1 million.

Smith and Ivy - .7 + .6 million =1.3 million.

That's 20.624 million left to spend Not 18 million.

I think that there are some good players who may not be stars but could turn out to be steals if we take a look at them.

Swift and Fizer fall into that category.

Foyle and Pryz fall into that category.

Collier falls into that category.

What we shouldn't do is pay Kenyon Martin a 14 million dollar contract and watch him do the same thing we could have gotten with Swift for 6.

• Premium Member

Do you know how much Okur is going to cost??? Do you know what kind of production you will get from Okur? He's going to be a 7 to 8 million dollar C. The Bidders are Toronto and Phoenix. He's not worth the money. It would be much easier to take foyle at just over the MCE. With Foyle we get the added benefit of having a Rebounder and Shot blocker. It makes no sense to put all these Perimeter defenders on the floor and be soft in the middle. That's why Okur sat the bench in Detroit.

Also... I think we need a vet help at PG. Maybe not Ward, maybe we go with Troy Hudson for a lot less. But we need somebody other than JT IN case JT gets hurt or traded. I say Charlie Ward because he has lots of playoff experience and that makes a difference when you consider a young team.

"You got some Phantom numbers in here. The budget I produced came out to 21.8 million. That's the 18 + 1 MCE if needed."

No, your numbers come out to 21.8 million for THIS year. The money obligated for next year is about 3 mil greater given the raises you included. What do THIS year's salaries have to do with NEXT year's cap (which we will be very close to with your signings).

I understand that we could trade contracts next year, but that's an uncertainty. You have to find takers, even on 1 yr deals. Phoenix was successful, but they had to trade a #1 pick to get rid of White.

BTW, I think that Swift is a fine player, but I do not think he is equivalent to Kenyon Martin. That said, I agree that we should sign him for 6 before giving 14 to KMart.