• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC:Josh Smith gives Willis number 42

Plainview1981

After 10-year absence, Willis signs with Hawks

By MICHAEL LEE

Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Published on: 09/22/04

Does Kevin Willis' return help or hurt the Hawks?

Helps them. He's a veteran who knows how to win. 66.34% 341

Hurts them. We need younger players. 33.66% 173

EMAIL THIS

PRINT THIS

MOST POPULAR

Kevin Willis thought he'd play 12 years when the Hawks drafted him out of Michigan State in 1984. He couldn't envision being in the NBA for 20 seasons, long enough for his age to match his jersey number -- 42.

Willis said he contemplated retirement after playing last season with the San Antonio Spurs. But when Willis realized that neither his passion for the game nor his commitment to staying in impeccable shape hadn't changed, he said, "Let's do it again."

Ten years after he was traded from the Hawks to the Miami Heat after 11 seasons, Willis will "do it again" in the city where his career began. After signing a one-year deal with the Hawks at the veteran's minimum ($1.1 million) Wednesday, Willis hopes Atlanta is also where his playing career will end. Someday.

"I know what it takes to win a championship," Willis said. "I'm back in Atlanta to help this team get in that direction. This is the perfect situation for me."

Hawks vice president Dominique Wilkins said Willis' arrival will start a new era for the Hawks in which players, "live here, work here and retire here."

"That's a wicked combination," said Willis, who has played on seven other teams since leaving Atlanta. "That would be the ultimate thing -- to retire here. Then, from there, go to the front office."

Wilkins, who played with Willis in Atlanta from 1984-94, was asked if Willis' return would inspire a comeback of his own.

"Don't tempt me," Wilkins, 44, said, chuckling. "Don't temp me. I'm about ready to start dusting off that jersey up there [in the rafters]."

"When I first got here, I tried to convince Dominique to come out of retirement and I couldn't do that," Hawks owner Michael Gearon Jr. said. "So, having Kevin comeback, for me personally, is like having a member of the family returning."

The Hawks will enter training camp on Oct. 5 with 14 players under contract. The 7-foot Willis completes general manager Billy Knight's roster overall and gives the team a link to an era of better days for the franchise.

"Not only the fact that he's a longtime Hawk legend and a pillar in the community -- those kind of things go without saying -- but we also are pleased to have him as a player for us," Knight said. "He's here to play. He'll provide leadership; sometimes, companionship; sometimes, brute force. Whatever they need."

Willis looks as imposing as he did when he joined the Hawks 20 years ago. Noted as a banger and an enforcer thoughout his career, Willis didn't need to use "brute force" to get rookie Josh Smith to give up the No. 42.

Knight simply called Smith Tuesday night to ask for the number.

"He's 42 years old," Knight explained. "He's a big, strong guy but he's very sentimental. He has emotional ties to the number."

"I understand," Smith told Knight. "Let me have No. 5."

"It was a quick conversation," Knight said. "[smith is] a good kid. Plus, he probably knows Kevin would whip him when he steps in the locker room."

The number change was made after the deadline, but Knight said the league office made an exception for Willis, who will be the oldest player in the NBA this season.

The 18-year-old Smith was born almost 18 months after Willis was drafted and is one year older than Willis' son, Kevin, who is a senior at St. Francis High School in Atlanta this year.

"That's wild," Willis said. "I never thought I'd be around this long. I'm glad it's happened."