• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A WALKER = S ABDUR-RAHIM?

cyman3

both have great skills and have the ability go fill up the stat sheet.

however, they both cant win us games as the primary option on the hawks team.

quick question, suppose we did a quick swap- WALKER for ABDURRAHIM at the trading deadline. would we win more games with ABDUR-RAHIM?

Quote:

both have great skills and have the ability go fill up the stat sheet.

however, they both cant win us games as the primary option on the hawks team.

quick question, suppose we did a quick swap- WALKER for ABDURRAHIM at the trading deadline. would we win more games with ABDUR-RAHIM?

No 'cause IF YOUR TEAM DOESN'T PLAY DEFENSE, IT WON'T MATTER IF YOU'VE GOT KG ON YOUR TEAM...YOU WON'T WIN, PERIOD.

Personally, I wouldn't want to win more games if we're not going to the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I root for us to win every game, I could never root for us to lose. (kinda like rooting for the Falcons last year to win games after they were already out of playoff contention) Logically though, the more games we lose, the better our draft pick is. I don't think Reef would drastically improve anything anyway. He is better than Walker defensively, but Walker is way more versatile on the offensive end. Reef could make his free throws though.

The Hawks have more problems on D than on O. I think Grant Long made an excellent point last night. The Hawks don't have a big "garbage man" down low to eat up rebounds, challenge shots and deliver hard fouls. Collier gets dunked on at least once a game, Drobs never goes down there to play any D, and Harrington & Walker move out of the way. McCoy tries to be the guy, but he just doesn't have the skill or athletic ability to do it.

I have said this before and I will say it again. In order for the Hawks to get better they have to lose for awhile. I do not want to see a team that is just merely good. They need to be great in order to win a championship. The only way to be great is to find themselves a couple superstars from the draft to build around and then later on the free agents will come. I believe they already have the one guy who could become a superstar in Josh Smith but obviously it will take a few years. We all just have to be patient and understand what Billy Knight is doing. Lose now, be great later.

E8,

I wasn't trying to cheap shot Walker with that statement. The fact is, when Reef was here, he typically played in the low post, so he got to the line alot. He made the other team pay for fouling him by making his free throws. Toine hasn't done that as of yet.

I think it is a mental thing with Toine. He went 9-11 from the line when we were getting smoked by 30. There was no pressure to make them.

In a situation where we need them, he's hitting back iron. (most of the time) I think he's pressing and thinking about it too much. When he's dropping clutch 3's, he don't have time to think about it, he just catches & shoots.

I'm not ready to say he's fixed he's free throw shooting after going 9-11 in one game after I've watched him struggle from the stripe all year.

Both players in my book are nice to have but definitely hard to build around and not worth the money. The main problem with both is they require big defensive centers to make up for their lack of help defense. Harrington so far seems to be the same way. Whatever we do with Walker I hope we get a pick or young talent to build around out of it. If not I'd rather have just kept JT and the expiring Hendu contract.

Reef wasn't a great low post guy though. Too often, Reef would let his defender push him out to the perimeter. Reef would then get the ball on the perimeter and try to force himself to the basket. His ball handling wasn't good enough, and Reef made a lot of turnovers that way. He also got a lot of his shots blocked because he wouldn't go up strong with the ball when he did get it in the post. He seemed to fall in love with one move as well, even though his footwork in the post was probably his best asset.

Antoine has the ability to put the ball on the floor, and he's a much better passer than Reef ever thought about being. Antoine does fall in love with the perimeter shot too often though. As far as Antoine's defense goes, he's better than the fans and media thinks. This is a case of a player getting a reputation early in his career and it sticking with him regardless.