Would you take a risk on Qyntel Woods?

Weez

Not necessarily for this team, as is right now (we dont need another wing player)...but talent is talent...and he'd be on the cheap...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=trai...ov=st&type=lgns

nice move by the Blazers btw, for at least continuing to try and make some attempts to their pledge of 'better citizen players.' But then again...they did just sign NVE and gave an extension to Randolph.

He was starting to show flashes last year and he certainly has the skill set that BK likes. Portland was even trying to play him at PG (even though I think his best position is SF). Worse case scenario, he comes in and causes trouble and we release him. He's in the last year of his contract so to claim him off waivers, we'd pay the balance of the $1M or so he would have made this year. Basically, the question is whether or not it is worth around $500,000 to find out if he can straighten himself out and live up to his vast potential. As poor as the talent is on this team as a whole, I think we can afford to find out. Yes, he would likely take minutes away from Chill and/or Smoove (at least until Toine is dealt) but what if he turns out to be better than both of them? That sure would be a nice problem to have.

I think we are at a point where we have to take some LOW RISK chances to improve our overall talent. Next year, we are likely going to have to take a chance on potentially overpaying for a young big man like Curry, Chandler, Kwame Brown or Dalembert. Would anyone be willing to offer Curry a max deal (or close) next off season? If we do, will Chicago match? If they do match and we turn around and offer Chandler a big deal as well, will they match that too? I'm sure Chicago likes Curry and Chandler a lot but will they invest say $22M in the two of them next year when they will have all those other young guys coming up in the fairly near future? Same thing goes for the Wizards. Hughes is unrestricted so signing both him and Kwame to big deals is not a very like proposition, particularly when Jamison and Arenas already make a lot of money. With Dalembert playing such a small role for the Sixers right now, how much will they be willing to pay to keep him around?

The bottom line is that we have a LONG way to go and I think we need to get talent whenever we can. Even if Woods is not in our longterm plans, perhaps he can be used in a sign and trade next year to help us improve.