• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What was the bigger trade? Big Dog or SAR?

archie44

This may be wayyyy tooooo early to answer this question. But I just thought of it and wondered if it might bring good discussion.

We got SAR for Gasol, Lo, and Brevin. We got Big Dog for FREE. No just kidding. We got Big Dog for Toni, Leon, and a pick.

Getting SAR got us a tremendous player. He's a 20/10 player who will more than likely be a Hawk for life (I said that about 'Nique also so I shouldn't jinx SAR). But since we did got Glenn for a limited amount (at least in our minds), should today's move be considered even bigger than last year's trade?

If SAR was the next piece, is Glenn the missing piece? And, therefore, does that make today's deal even bigger by acquiring Robinson for such a small amount?

I wonder. I guess we'll find out if Robinson leads us to a championship!

Hmm, well thats a good question to ponder.....like the what if CAT really spells DOG question lol.....ok, seriously, I would have to say that getting Reef was the bigger deal. He is a high character guy, still very young, always healthy, perfect compliment to Theo in the low post, and has superstar potential. I dont think Dog has superstar potential but he will continue to be a star for years to come. Very tough question though because we got Dog for much much less, but I think I was happier when we got Reef, if thats possible. Remember when we were all up till like 2am talking about that trade. There were about 5-8 diehards that night. I think we need one more solid vet player for the frontcourt (Willis?) and one more good outside shooter that can stroke 3's for the backcourt.....how about Dion for Piatkowski? Dog is close to being the final piece though, very close.

• Admin

I think the SAR trade personally. He came at a higher cost but I consider us getting a franchise player. Its what got us started. Its Not about the stats, he brings the attitude and the heart. He makes other players want to come and play with him.

Dog is an all star yes but it seems more like he is coming in as a hired gun. To just put us a little farther up the ladder.

Another thing about the SAR trade is that I think even without Dog coming here we would still be going to the playoffs this year. With GR coming here it just makes that more real.

I think this is OUR year.We deserve it goddamn it.How long have

we been looked down on because of the fact we haven't been

in thefinals in so long.We now have 3 guys that are better than

Smitty in my opinion.This is the most talented team the Hawks

have had since I been watching.We better win game.

We did get big Dog for free.We were straped on the salary cap

already so I don't think it reall hurts us there.

I think this trade is a little better because we didn't have to give up as much. Tho Rahim is the better player, this is the better trade. To get Rahim we had to give up Gasol, Knight and write, while all we gave up to get Big Dog is Kukoc (who spent most of the season injuried), Leon and a pick. With the talent we have that pick isn't going to be a lottery one!

i m 19, just love his game since when he was a rookie (his baseline spin moves that he used so much in his rookie season is the best, i've since shaq, c web, kg done that, but not even close to shareef's, took me 2 years to learn that and a year to improve and make it effective every single time when i use it, but since then, i've only grew 1 inch, to short to play the sf now =( ), but then the more i know about him, the more i think he is different from other NBA stars, (ie. i used to think that he doesn't have enough media exposure becoz he is in vancouver, a great city but not much people cares about b-ball. reef, back then, he was one of the most underated player, said, "i don't play for that kind of stuff ... even right now, man, people didn't need to say nothing bout me. the thing i like is when my teammates make me feel like i'm giving a good effort, i appreciate taht. but as far as being on tv or getting attention that way. i've never played for that ... "

hawksfreak, u are so fortunate to know a guy like shareef (and he knows u too, thats important). i wish i have the same opportunities like u have. anyway, u should learn a lot from reef and become a better person growing up

btw, shareef was the reason y i became a hawks fan a year ago, but i just love this team so much, even if shareef is to be traded to somewhere else now, i am pretty sure i will still follow the hawks, this team will be really great.

I think that the bigger trade was this one because it solidifies the other one and addresses so many area's!

1. Getting rid of Toni (great move)

2. Creating an proven outlet for Reef (my bad no one is that foolish I mean if they did that Reef would still score at least 20pts a game he would get at least 10ast a game and would get 10rbs a game averaging a triple double WOW!

3. WE HAVE A STARTER AT SF! This releases the pressure on DG or DJ and allows them to grow.

THIS TRADE IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thoughts together enough to make a an intelligent post...so excited! I think it is a little too early to start talking finals but we will be a playoff team...still have to see how Big Dog's off court issues turn out...and if he is thrilled about coming to Atlanta....he should be because ther could be something special happening here!

Just to see how his legal situation turns out. With him being gone, there is no telling what the courts may think up there. The Shareef trade gave us some real talent and a name to get behind and this one put us back into serious contention in the East. The main thing that puts it over the top is that these type of moves are almost, well, un-Hawk-like. Think about it. During the Mookie/Smith/Deke days, while the rest of league knew about our obvious weakness at small forward and the bench, the front office was most inclined to sit on their hands and trot out Ty Corbin and Henry James. We'd hear 'salary cap', 'no high draft picks', blah, blah, blah. But now that has all changed. The Hawks have finally began taking a proactive approach to the roster instead of the reactive one they've clung to with grips of iron for the past 30+ years. I honestly believe that with only a little tweaking that this team is ready to challenge for the title. Not in a few years but NOW. On paper there is no Hawk team that can even touch this one. Not 'Nique's and definitely not Steve Smith's squad. We'll soon see if this is true for the rest of the East and the league for that matter.

The SAR trade was nice -- but costly. This one we completely stole. Only time will tell as to team performance. There may be no way to tell.

We haven't won anything yet. Dog managed to lose with talent

in Milwaukee.

There's no excuse for this team to finish lower than 3rd in the east, considering the talent.

Also, everyone's shot's-per-game are cut down big time. Dog can jack it up with the best of them.