• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gary won't be waived

hotboyj

I suppose that Gary will not be waived, it is more likely that after the end of the year we will do a sign and trade deal, sort of like what we did with Stephen Jackson. This would bring in some 6th man or i need a chance man. I can't think of any possible trades, but if anyone can please post them. This is a good trade since it opens up cap space, and more importantly lets us see what the rookies are made of. This will show if we need to trade before the stock goes Enron. Well, hopefully none of the rookies let me down and Gary Payton helps out Diaw and Ivey in the right way. I'm sure if anyone can fix Diaw it will be loudmouth Payton.

Says on ESPN that the Hawks are already working to buyout his contract so he can sign wherever her wants, maybe back with the Celts. Gary is a veteran that has earned the right to have a chance to play for a contender. He would be miserable here with our team of youngsters, and an unhappy Payton would not help our kids.

First, we dont want a guy who will come here and not be happy, someone who will be a cancer in the locker room. Personally I like GP and I wish we had gotten him earlier in his career, but he would be miserable playing of us and we dont need that attitude around the kids.

Second, without adding GP and losing Walker, we are almost assured of continuing to lose games so thats a definite bonus.

Last, when we waive GP he will either be going to play for the Lakers or back to Boston, which is a win/win for us and whichever team he chooses since we really want to see both teams make the playoffs this year.

I was thinking about this earlier. You can't really sign and trade a guy who's 36 and on the obvious down-side of his career.

I mean, let's say that some capped out team like the Mavs wanted him. So, what do they do? They use an exemption to sign him, right?

The only reason to do a sign and trade is to get a player who makes too much money for an exemption.

I believe in the "What if they keep Payton" concept".

Who could pay him more than us. Before we attempt to sign anyone, won't we still have 24 million next year? Now what if Al Harrington goes on draft night for another first rounder around #20.

So we resign Payton for 8 million a season for 3 years. (far more than anyone else can offer). Sign Ray Allen for $12 million a year. Draft Bogut, Jarrett Jack, Wayne Simien and another center in the 2nd round of the draft.

Next years team looks like this.

Gary Payton, Jarrett Jack, Ivey

Allen, Diaw, Delk

Childress, Donte Smith

Josh Smith, Simien, Ekezie

Bogut, Drobnak, draft pick, Collier (sorry, he has a year left).

A team of the Josh's, Bogut Allen and Payton has to look pretty good to Gary wouldn't you think. That is a good all around squad that can shoot inside and out and can pass out of double teams.

May I ask why we should give GP a maxed out contract. the man is 37 and isn't the player he once was. While I agree that he may help at PG for us for the rest of this year, why do we want that if we want the # 1 overall pick.

Secondly, Ainge had to kiss his butt to get him to come to the Celtics after the laker trade. I don't see Woodson doing that and stil trying to instill in the young guys that playing time has to be earned( which should extend to veterans also).

I think that he won't report to the Hawks and I hope we don't have to buy him out to let him go. If he sticks to form he wants to go to a contender anyway and should just be waived.He is not in the Hawks plans for the future, he was just included to make the salaries match. Especially, if we already agreed to release him as part of the deal as was reported.