• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How to proceed....

Diesel

• Premium Member

I think we can proceed with FAcy and Draft...

In the draft, look at Bogut (if he is the best available). If not Bogut then we have to consider M. Williams.

IN FAcy, I would pick up Damon Stoudamire. 4 yr 18 million.

I don't know what to expect from Harrington. These last 25 games will speak volumes. To me though, I don't know if he's stepping up.

The main question is will Childress transform himself into a Reggie Miller like SG or is he best suited for the 3. We shouldn't just go by size in this matter nor should we go by need, but we should go by ability.

But let's say we don't get the Laker's pick.

Let's say we go into this draft and we come away with:

Bogut (1st round), Taj Gray (2nd), Luther Head (2nd).

And let's say we Pick up Stoudamire and Swift in FAcy...

This is what we will have:

Stoudamire, Chillz, Harrington, Swift, Bogut.

Looking at this group, I think it may be worth it to go after Hughes as strongly as possible and forget about Swift. I believe that Hughes is a SG that we might consider overpaying...

Stodamire, Hughes, Chillz, Harrington, Bogut

I would much rather watch this team.

That teams looks like a losing team, and I think Stoudamire signs for more than that. Also, please stop with the Childress becoming a great pure shooter. Childress is not going to become the greatest 3 point shooter in league history by going to the gym this summer to work on his shot. Can we stop trying to make Josh Childress into something he's not? I hope he does work on his shot and improve it, but the guy is not going to turn into Dale Ellis over a summer.

This is like saying let's have Olowakandi work on his post moves this summer, and he'll become like Alonzo Mourning.

That is an intersting scenario & very much plausible. I wouldn't have a major problem going with Hughes. I would want to fill the bench with some bigger bodies like Diop, Gadzuric, etc if we were to go that route mainly because I think our interior defense would still be soft if we didn't.

I have the same strategy as you in the 2nd. I would like to get one shooter and one big man. I personally like Lawrence Roberts or Aundrey Blatche as the big. I like Head & Stoudamire as the shooters.

In the 2nd, I also like Daniel Ewing & Chris Thomas.

• Premium Member

Interesting.

I think that realistically, we can't count on the Lakers pick.. They look like Crap. I think we must address our problem spots. I think Smoove may coming off the bench as long as we have Harrington. Not because of lack of ability, but because I don't think Woody has confidence in him.

I don't see a problem with Damon.

Somebody said that the team look like Losers.

I beg to differ.

We don't have Kobe or Tmac, but I think Hughes would be a definite difference maker.

And I don't know about Bogut.

two things: Why take Damon? He's aging, that amount of money seems to much (though I do agree with you on it's proximity to his next contract, wherever that may be)...we need someone serviceable at the position...at this point, Stoudamire is too deviant, sometimes spectacular but sometimes truly disapointing (in some ways like GP). JWill would be good (I think), as would someone 'more serviceable' in the mold of Brevin Knight (btw - whatever happened to his brother, Brandon, who was touted to be better??? bueler?....)

Why can't Smith learn to handle and play the 3? And Harrington, being young as everyone so poingnantly reminds of us...learn to play the four? in the east? come now...

I agree with you, to a degree, about Chill...I think he more fit for the '3' as well...why not try to 'truly build' and use him as a 6th man (swing)...and look to bring in a more 'veteran' 2 guard who still has some legs (lord what I wouldn't pay for Redd)???

decide what to do with him later, in two years when his contract is in need of extension and the mgt. has a better guage of his abilities at this level....??

Why Stoudamire?

Well mainly because he's probably the best point guard out there that fits or needs. We would have to trade for JWil. There's only one player on the team that we could trade for him & that is Harrington. I guess it could happen, but I don't think Memphis would do it. This years free agent point guards are not the most stellar group in the world. There's vey few on this list that I would even consider...

Atl- Tyronn Lue

Cha- Corey Alexander

Cha- Brevin Knight

Chi- Chris Duhon

Chi- Janero Pargo

Cle- Jeff McInnis

Dal- Darrell Armstrong

Hou- Jon Barry

Lac- Marko Jaric

Lac- Kenny Anderson

Lal- Tierre Brown

Mem- Earl Watson

Min- Anthony Carter

Njn- Travis Best

Por- Damon Stoudamire

Sac- Bobby Jackson

San- Mike Wilks

Sea- Matteen Cleaves

Tor- Milt Palacio

Uta- Howard Eisley

Uta- Keith McLeod

Was- Steve Blake

• Premium Member

I know Stoudamire is not long and hasn't been classified as defensive but Stoudamire does push the ball very well. I think that there are 2 PGs who can make us better from Free Agency.. That's Stoudamire and Knight. Both are short. The added advantage that Stoudamire gives is that he can shoot from outside and that he can score. He's a 15.8/5.6appg PG.... That means we'd get scoring from the 1 as well as ball handling and offense running. I'm not saying that DS is all world or the savior, I just think he's a good pickup who should be rather cheap because of his price and would probably want to play for us because he does have a house in Atlanta.

About the money... 4 yr 18 million... That's not much at all. That's about 4.4 million per. We paid CC 3 million dollars per for the last 7 yrs. For what Damon Brings... quality play at the 1, I think it's a good deal.

I think Chillz at the 3 would be better than Smoove at the 3 for now. I think Smoove could learn by backing up the 3 and 4. I think Chillz is more of a leader and for now, he's probably a better player than Smoove.

The 2 gaurd I suggest is Hughes. I like his game. He plays good defense. He fits BK's mold. He's a decent ball handler. He has the ability to be a scorer. Harrington will need that hired Gun to score when he's off... For Hughes, we will have to spend some money, but I believe if he stays healthy, he's worth it.

your plan works if you assume that DS will play in control...because Hughes will not (a bad influence on Smoove too). I'd be more prone to draft a pg and find a reliable two guard (who plays with consistency and in the flow of the offense...as said, Redd, Kittles (two years ago) type players...and then build from there.

Just my approach. DS is fine...but you have to give him some 'credit' to make it so...and at his age, and history, I'm not sure I'm inclined to believe (or start believing).

I am very sure that he could breakout in Atlanta. Look at what Lue is doing. Bobby has size, and certainly speed, and at many times is more clutch than Bibby. I'm sure he would jump at the opportunity to become a leader, and he has the most promise to me. Let me say it again, LOOK HOW GOOD LUE IS DOING! He always plays well in the preseason and with the added time, I'm sure he could put up similiar numbers in the regular season. Upside and value is what I see in Bobby. Along with a sweet jumper.

The thing about Bobby Jackson is that he's not really a true point guard. He plays a game similar to Tony Delk. He looks to get his shots rather than run the offense. Jackson can definitely shoot & score, but as far as getting everyone involved, I'm not so sure.

The other guy I like in this mix is Jeff McInnis. He's a larger pg at 6'4, but he takes good care of the ball and runs the offense. He can knock down the 3 and he plays good D. He's not going to wow anyone with his abilities, but he is a steady point guard. If Cleveland does happen to land Michael Redd, they won't have any room to sign McInnis. The only problem is that he will be 31 this year. Stoudamire & Bobby Jackson will be 32.

Marko Jaric is intriguing as well. He is 6'7. He has had injury problems, but is a good player when healthy. He's not near as fluid as DS or McInnis, but he can play the 1. He is one of the most deadly shooters in the league. He is an incredibly tough defender as well. (much better than DS or McInnis) He just doesn't see the floor, dribble or pass as well as other point guards.

Long time lurker but I think I'll post to this one.

I think Bogut is a bad idea for the draft at #1 for right now. Yes we need a big man but as Woodson knows from Det. not a MUST to win. And Yao also disproves that.

What the Hawks need most from this draft is a PG. Unless Bogut goes crazy during the Tourney and workouts I say trade down.

Or if NY would go for it offer them the Boston pick and a 2nd and keep 1st over all pick (not like they need more payroll). Take Bogut and Jack in the first round and Daniel Ewing in the second round.

Jack and Ewing come from good programs that play big competition nightly and produce. They come from programs that take the smarter players nation wide. And both could have the killer instinct that the Hawks so sorely need.

In a dream scenario we would end up with this roster going into FA:

Jack/Ewing/Ivey

Childress/Diaw

Smoove/Diaw/Donta

Harrington/Donta/Collier

Bogut/Collier

Then I'd add:

Jaric (cheap but can run offence from 1 or 2)

Swift (4 year deal)

Kwame Brown (2 year with club option for 3rd)

That leaves a line up of:

Jaric/Jack/Ewing/Ivey

Childress/Jaric/Diaw

Harrington/Smoove/Donta/Diaw

Swift/Harrington/Donta/Collier

Bogut/Swift/Brown/Collier

And any of them could be on IR as a reserve.

Any Opinions?

Quote:

In the draft, look at Bogut (if he is the best available). If not Bogut then we have to consider M. Williams.

I really believe that Marvin has to be the choice, if he comes out. Anybody here catch the UNC-FSU game tonight? More of the same. He just looks more and more like a guy you don't pass up, regardless of whether he fills a "need". I'll tell you what need he fills for the Hawks: the need for an absolute stud and franchise centerpiece.

All that said, there's a pretty decent chance he won't even make the jump this year, in which case I would have no problem with the Hawks taking Bogut.

• Premium Member

That's very interesting and insightful.

I think that trading our #1 from Boston + a 2nd to NY for their lottery first is a good idea. Of course, NY will want to try to trade salary for salary with us... Something like K. Thomas/1st for Harrington/Boston's first.. And I might consider it because it guarantees us getting a guy like Jack.

I also agree with you that Jack comes from a good program. My approach to drafting college players is to look at the college's track record. That's why I'm not big on drafting Duke players and I like guys out of UNC, Kansas, Arizona, and GT. For instance, I have no doubt that Jack can make the transition to the pros. My question is how good can he be?

I think more so than anything else, us getting Swift might be a sure bet. BK drafted Swift. He liked Swift then and I think he still likes him now. The question is where do we put Swift? We already have personnell problems. We have 3 guys who I consider Sfs and we're trying to spread them out into the 2, 3, and 4 spots. If Swift replaces Harrington, we lose points but gain defense and we'd really need a scoring PG to make up some of the difference.

Kwame on the otherhand will be difficult for us to get. I think that Washington will match any offer on Kwame. Even though Kwame has done a piss poor job in Washington, he's still a first overall pick. He's still 7'0 about 250. He still has good ball handling skills for a big man. He still has the potential to be a strong shot blocker. I would almost wait him out (wait until he was either on the trade blocks or unrestricted).

I hadn't considered Jaric. I don't think he's what we need neccessarily.

• Premium Member

Is Jeff McInnis 31 already?

I still would go after Stoudamire. I think this saves us some heartache in the draft. I think 4 yr 18 million is more than he would get anywhere else.

I like what the new guy said.. So let me try to incorporate it:

Boston's 1st/2nd to NY for NY's first. I don't know if they will go for that but hey....

With NY's first, I take Jack.

With our first, I'd take Bogut or Williams depending on how they do in personal workouts.

2nd round I'm getting Head and a big man. At this point, if Channing Frye or Taj Gray are there, I'm taking them.

I still would go after Hughes. I don't think he's uncontrollable at all.

All over:

Stoudamire/Jack/Ivey

Hughes/Diaw

Chillz/Smoove/Donta

Harrington/Collier

Bogut/Frye/Drobs