• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Deke for Van Horn, McCollough... What do you think

Diesel

I also agree that Deke will not necessarily help the Nets much. Last year Deke played nothing like he did for the Hawks and for Philly in their Finals run. He just looked plain slow. Other mediocre centers were stepping right around him on their way to the basket. Although he's still intimidating to the driving guard when he's planted under the hoop, once drawn away he could never get back into position quick enough to be much help to his teammates.

The Nets just plain outran other teams last year. Deke is great at securing the rebound but he can't outlet fast enough to begin the fast break.

If anything playing with Kidd will actually HIGHLIGHT Deke's weaknesses as an offensive scorer. Deke does nothing quickly. There is no advantage to Kidd getting the ball to Deke in a position "he likes" because all of his offensive moves involve stopping looking around, one or two slow dribbles, and finally...if not double-teamed, a shot. Kidd will be pulling his hair out. Deke does not have the quickness, hops, or the hands Shaq, Mourning, and others have to guide an easy alley oop into the basket or get the ball up fast after obtaining inside position.

Deke helps the team in a defensive half-court game...like the one's the Lakers killed the Nets with. But the Nets were as successful as they were with an uptempo game. I think any benefits Deke gives them through defense are entirely offset by his plodding offensive game.

I think people don't give McCullough enough credit. Though obviously overpowered by Shaq he had good hands and nice moves around the hoop that complimented the style of the team. I suppose in a general sense Deke is a step up (maybe). It was probably the best the Nets could get with what's available.

All this makes me even more excited about the potential of the Hawks this season. A healthy Ratliff is exactly the center that an uptempo team like the Hawks (and Nets) need to really compete. Not awesome...but capable scorer around the hoop, good weakside/help defender, but more importantly someone who can outlet the ball quickly and RUN on offense. If only he can be/stay healthy!

GO HAWKS!

• Premium Member

Last yr, what really stopped Deke was.....

David Stern. The new rules handcuffed Deke's game. Anytime you have a 3 sec defensive clock on the lane, it messes with Deke's defense. His defense is predicated on him being able to "gaurd his house". Well, it wasn't that he was slower, it was that he was made to "step outside" of his house and give up his defensive position.

It's almost as if D. Stern watched the NBA finals and said... "you know if Philly is allowed to cover Shaq one on one, then it's possible that they would be able to defeat our CASH COW in a healthy season."

SO. The New rules is why you see defensely teams like the Kings, Mavericks and Celtics making a run for the finals. And teams predicated on defense like the Sixers, Spurs, and Timberwolves taking a back seat to them...

Diesel, I agree 100 % . As I was reading this thread, I

kept thinking, "Why has no one mentioned the rule change

that was in force for the first time last season?"

That is the primary reason for Deke's change. Now, the

rules favor a quicker center who can cover the area

around the basket and not just under it. Deke has never

ben thought of as really quick around the basket.

There is one team in the east that does have a center this

coming season that has not been a factor for them before.

He is considered very quick and this new rule should

favor him, although he has not played very much, three

games, I believe, under this rule. Can any of you guess

who this center is and who he plays for?

Gray Mule

I agree.Well even on my video game the defensive rules

are a pain in the butt because with the center you can't

just stand in the lane.I turn the rule off cause if I don't I

pick up alot of 3 second violations.I play Tim Duncan at

center and block about 3.8blk catching guys trying to

attack the lane.

I'm glad Diesel brought it up because I forgot all about the

rule.It's very possible that is the reason for his less defense.

Everyone knows he is a lane defender and that was taken

from him.