• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kwame suspended for playoffs - who wants him?

chillzatl

I can't imagine the Wizards will give him a $7M qualifying offer so his price just went down considerably. You KNOW that Isiah will throw the MCE at him because NY is so desperate but other than that, I don't know if anyone would offer him that much.

• Admin

I recognize the raw talent...and it would be painful to let him go somewhere else for a cheap price and turn into a solid player. But I don't think I could give him more than 5-6mil over 2 years. I don't think any team is going to sign him for a lengthy contract until he proves himself capable.

I'm not trying to go aganist Kwame like everyone else is, because I think the Media is on the Wizards side. I would like to see Kwame speak(knowing it wont happen), but it will allow us to know what he's thinking.

Billy Knight should still pursue the 22 year old 7'footer, but not strongly. I wouldn't give the bank, and I wouldn't even think about getting into a bidding war.

• Premium Member

It makes him even cheaper!

Say what you want to say. Finding a 7 foot shot blocker in this league is not easy. Why do you think Deke is still getting paid? Let Washington drop Kwame's value. I say we take him... Especially if BK can negotiate one of his cheaper deals (like he did with Jax)!

Kwame is a loser.

Anyone who gives him the MLE or above is making a mistake, IMO.

If he is given a short term contract, then that would be a good deal. He's still an athletic 7 footers, those will always have their place in the league. He just has no work ethic, and a very low B-Ball IQ.

• Admin

other than a 7' kid with "loads of potential"?

he's not a shot blocker, he's not a scorer, he's not a rebounder. He's just raw potential with a bad attitude and a horrible work ethic. Deke is a proven player with proven history. He's a better player at 65 than Kwame is at 20-21.

That said, I'm not opposed to trying to get him. But he IS NOT WORTH more than 4-5mil over 2 seasons. If he proves himself after that, fine, pay him more. But right now he is not worth any more than that.

it would be ridiculous to not even research the idea..Billy should talk to the kid and the Wizards (if possible) and if that goes well tender a low reasonable offer. He's 22 and 7foot tall. He may be a slow learner but when/if he gets it, watch out. He has shown flashes but I think he needs playing time on a team where he's not the "future" of the franchise.

• Premium Member

You didn't read your own article.

NO... KWAME hasn't become.. But he hasn't lost all that potential that made him a first pick either...

However, check out something that your aricle said:

Quote:

Brown showed glimpses of his potential last season when he followed a 30-point, 19-rebound game against Sacramento with a 27 and 11 performance against Atlanta, but he often languished in single digits.

He averaged 10.9 points and 7.4 rebounds for the season, just enough improvement for the Wizards to hope that his long awaited breakout was on the horizon.

But Brown broke a bone in his right foot during a pickup game last summer and started the season on the injured list. He played in just 42 games, starting 14, and was essentially a big-body role player off the bench. He averaged 7.0 points and 4.9 rebounds and was frequently booed at home.

Your own article pretty much says that Washington put him on the bench when he came back from injury and only used him as a big body. Washington's offense is based on Arenas/Hughes/Jamison. In fact, compare Brown's season to Etan Thomas. They played the same positions this season and have about the same amount of time on the floor. Thomas played 4 yrs at Syracuse and started more games in his career than Brown, but in the same offense, they produce about the same? I think it's a case of Washington misusing and not developing Kwame... And if they'd let him go, I'd definitely take him...

So you think a ver young player who put up 11/7.4 in 30 minutes (57 starts) is a throw away player?

• Admin

I'm sick of all the appologists for this kid. I laugh at the notion that he's a slow learner. If he were a slow learner, his improvement would be more consistant. Not this play good for two games and suck for 15 system he's been on. Kwame hasn't been the future of that team for two seasons now. He wasn't last year and he solidified that position this year.

I have nothing wrong with persueing him. But this is not the matrix. What you see is real. What you see from Kwame is real too. He's not worth more than a 2 year offer at a max of 5mil total.

• Admin

You and other appologists for this kid always bring up the "he was a #1 pick" crap as if that's some sort of validation as to why he deserves another contract. What if he wasn't a #1 pick. What if Jordan, a failure of a GM, made the wrong pick?

You post stats from two seasons ago as validation for his ability. He had plenty of opportunity to match his production of last season and failed to do so. Are you honestly going to tell me that if Kwame came into practice and was giving 100%, they wouldn't give him the opportunity? You know they would and you know they DID. Had he shown the drive and desire to become a bigger part of their offense, you and I both know they would have obliged him, as it would have made them a significantly better team.

If he's such a good player, he should be able to improve on the numbers Etan Thomas puts up in the same MPG and the same offense. So by that estimation his talent level is on par with Etan Thomas.. That's certainly no reason to throw a lot of money at him.

As I said before, he's worth 5mil over 2 season and not a penny more. Let him prove himself beyond that. His former #1 pick status means nothing now.

• Moderators

I like taking a low cost, low years shot at Brown. In some ways he might be the easiest FA to land because he will be unrestricted (Wash won't make a qualifying offer) and he might actually want to come to Atlanta to be closer to home. I'd do my due diligence, but if I was Atlanta I'd pick up that phone to talk to his agent when FA started and see if I could work out a short-term deal on the idea that it would give Brown the chance to develop and prove himself in a low pressure environment. I'd sell the low years on the contract as meaning that Brown could cash in more quickly if he develops like his agent surely will be projecting (to try to get more money).

Kwame has no one but himself to blame for not being a contributing member of the Wizards but a change of scenery can sometimes do a lot for a player. He is going to get one and if we can do it cheaply, I'd like to see that in Atlanta.

• Premium Member

Apologist?

OK.

I say.. Why not take a 7 footer who is only 22 years old?

I posted stats from two years ago not as a validation of Brown but to show that before he was injured he was showing something. As your article (the ONE YOU CHOOSE) clearly states, when he came back to play, he was used as an off the bench guy when they needed a big body.

Just ask yourself, what if we had done the same thing with J-Chillz. Oh yeah, that's right... You thought that Chillz Looked like a BUST TOO!

Seems to me Chillz, you are very quick to Judge players as Bust when it's evident that they haven't really played.

Are those the words of an apologist?

I guess so. BUt if we can cheaply get a 22 yr old 7 footer with the potential that Kwame has, I say get him!

• Admin

I never said don't take him. I just said that he's not worth more than 5 mil over 2 years. He's definitely worth risking that. But anything more is a poorly calculated risk. Let him prove himself at a pay rate anyone else would get to do the same. Maybe have a team option for a 3rd year. If he works out, extend him, if not, it's a small loss in the name of "potential"..