• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Louis Williams 1st Rd or Hawks or nothing?

pathway23

"Former South Gwinnett High star Louis Williams has indicated for the first time that he intends to keep his name in the NBA draft --- even if he isn't a first-round pick. But only if that means staying at home and playing for the Hawks, who hold the first pick in the second round of the June 28 draft. "I'm not really looking at [being selected in] the second round," Williams said Friday afternoon, "but that would be an ideal situation if it came to that. That's really the best of a worst-case scenario." Atlanta Journal-Constitution

I hear Williams is all over the board...I happen to like him. He's got great athleticisum and versitility. I wouldn't take him at 31 though. I've heard there is a he chance drops to 58...i don't think he will, but I hope so. That would be a major steal for us if he drops that far.

I don't think he wants a non-guaranteed contract at all unless it is with the Hawks. That is just the point...Imo the Hawks won't take him and he won't go in the 1st rd so he'll probably end up playing for Dennis Felton at UGA for his Freshman year.

I think he is willing to risk the nonguaranteed contract if and only if it is the 31st pick by the Hawks because he will be home and he will get a chance to play with Smoove his good buddy.

I dont BK being the kind of GM that would guarantee Louis that he'll be #31 if he's still there. But I dont think Louis will pull out either, I think he's pretty much committed to staying in the draft. College could be a risk too. If he doesnt turn into a point guard, he'll still be viewed as an undersized SG and may not get drafted much higher than he might now even if he kicks butt at UGA.

Our early second rounder is likely to be our most interesting pick this year. If we draw #1, I think we take Bogut. If we dont make a trade, we'll still need a point and it's likely Gilchrist, etc will still be there at #31. But we already tried a second round point, that's a hard way to find someone any better than Lue, etc anyways. I hope we go for a prospect with that pick. I'd luv Blatche but Louis would be fine to me if fine with BK.

• Premium Member

Just a list of PG's that have made an impact despite being drafted at #27 or later (last five years):

#28 - Beno Udrih

#39 - Chris Duhon

#28 - Leandro Barbosa

#38 - Steve Blake

#47 - Mo Williams

#28 - Dan Dickau

#27 - Jamaal Tinsley

#28 - Tony Parker

#31 - Gilbert Arenas

#40 - Earl Watson

#30 - Marko Jaric

#49 - Jason Hart

Plus, the fact that this is a deep PG draft and it looks promising for the Hawks finding a gem with the #31 pick.

• Premium Member

That's a good list but as PGs go, this draft is definitely top heavy. The guys on top (Paul, Williams, and Felton) are definitely head and shoulders better than everybody else.

What I especially like about all of these guys is that they prove themselves against the best competition. Starting from his Rookie Year, Paul always have had the best Showing against the better teams. When the big game came up, Paul showed up.

When you watch Williams, he's the same way but he's the best defender in the bunch. He completely shut down Arizona's attack. Louisville too.

Felton, I don't think he's as good as Paul or Williams, but to be able to run the NC offense the way he has plus he has the Size... he's going to be good too.

I don't see Gilchrist, Jack, and all the rest being as good as the top 3.

• Admin

Don't waste a pick on him. He is a 6'1 shooting guard. We don't need another extremely undersized shooting guard. Tony Delk is considered undersized and he is 6'3. Williams is not a point guard so why waste 31 on him when pgs like Gilgrest and Ewing can still be available. We can get a spot up shooter cheap in free agency like Kapano or Bogans and they have size.