• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dickau

beav

It seems like a lot of folks here are loving to wildly speculate about Dickau... that's what this board is all about... however most (if not practically all regardless of their claims) have actually only seen the guy play 1-6 times in their lives... this is laughable to hear someone sound like an expert about the guy and at the same time deride the conference that he is in... were you guys rushing off to your local sports bar to see those WCC games.... admit it... you are not....

It is not dan dickau's fault that the idiots in the national press are saying that he is a projected PG and is a better PG than JT...

Also to address a few other things...

While the last month or so has seen a couple of folks throw around the level of competition of the WCC being low (well obivously lower than major conferences) they want to conveniently ignore the fact that gonzaga actually *did* schedule a few games outside of their conference... here is a list of teams from last year:

Illinois, St. John's, Texas, Marquette, Fresno State, Washington, Wyoming, New Mexico...

In 2000 they made it to the sweet 16 losing to purdue after beating St. john's and Louisville...

In 2001 as a #12 seed they lost to michigan state after beating virginia and indiana state...

Guys it really is no skin off if you don't want to like dickau and no skin off if you think that the national press overrates him... but at least objectively look at things a little bit...

gonzaga played games and won games outside of the wcc

gonzaga as a lower seed has had very good success in the ncaa tournament

dan dickau *was* named as a first team all american last year so obviously *someone* in the know liked what he was doing....

That was a perfect point. I watched and taped 5 Gonzaga games(only 5 were televised in Sacramento) and went to St.Mary's University to watch him in person. I even got to talk to him. It was a great experience. and a point that I was trying to make was that Dickau was constantly double teamed, so he had to pass the ball out but it opened up opportunities for his teammates. His scoring actually should have been higher than his average of 20.5 ponts per game. And he will not be doubled in the NBA, I will guarantee it.(exception:traps in the backcourt,presses,etc.) And since he was projected to be between #12-23 in the draft, you guys(Hawks fans) should be excited to get such a steal. Don't forget too, that the 2002 draft had the most Europeans ever, and that also made Dickau's stock drop, and for that matter everyone else.(ex:steve logan, carlos boozer, dan gadzuric, Rod Grizzard, Jason Jennings, Sam Clancy, Vincent Yarbrough,etc.) Overall, you made a very generalized yet unbiased view, which I appreciate. Keep up the good work. It is nice to know that SOME Hawks fans use some logic.

I'm sure as hell no expert.Not even close.I'm just saying I'll

never accept him and sure wouldn't care to meet him either.

Like I said,other than JT there is just no one on our roster

that I really want to root for.But whatever.I really don't care

anymore.

In reply to:

I'm just saying I'll never accept him

Can you please explain why you will NEVER accept him? What has he done wrong to warrant that?

Also, when we get deep into the playoffs and JT has to rest and Dickau comes in and the team doesnt miss a beat (sorta like Bjax does for Sac), will you not cheer for him? Will you root against him?

I cant understand making such a bold statement like NEVER in regards to a player that you self admitedly know nothing about. Thats very close minded in my opinion.

Look as I see the possibly of Dickau being our fulltime PG

it pisses me off I guess.I guess kinda like the thing Gary

Sheffield was talking about...How the Dodger fans never

took to him because Piazza was "their player"and they

took it out on Gary because MP was traded.

Maybe I go alittle to far,but I think we lose good personality

and a clutch player(We don't have any extras to spare) if we

trade JT.I also think we would lose alot of one on one ability.

Does anyone honestly believe Dickau can take the top PG's

one on one?Shareef has some ability to do that but he also

turns the ball over at a alarming rate(How does a PF turn the

ball over nearly 4 times a game?)

I remember I felt the same way about Battier last year.All the

hype he got without scoring a single point and I thought it was

just dumb.The hype makes me sick to my stomach.ESP a guy at

such a low pick.

Put if we traded JT I would root for him to bust Dickau's a** every

time we play againest him.

I just basically don't see what all the fuss is about.It takes alot more

than college stats to impress me.But oh well,it really doesn't matter,

but my interest declines if we trade JT.That's just the way it is.

Every time someone brings up Dickau ARR your reply has to do with trading JT and "losing JT's personality".

You shouldn't confuse the message of posters on this site with that of the national media. I can't remember any Squawkers proposing JT deals (outside of Diesel, because he proposes deals for everyone) when we drafted Dickau. I remember a lot of guys saying we got a solid PG and someone who could really help this team.

No one on this site believes Dickau will ever start on this team over JT, regardless of what the media says.

Your Sheffield analogy doesn't hold water for many reasons. #1) It shows that Sheffield is more concerned with his fragile ego than he is with his team. #2) JT is nothing like Sheffield (thankfully). I've never seen a more confident, dedicated athlete than JT. I'm 100% sure JT doesn't feel threatened by Dickau AT ALL.

We are not going to trade JT.

No one is endorsing trading JT.

We are simply trying to say that Dickau will be a contributor. If you don't think he will, that is fine.

But to say that you'll never support one of our players (for no good reason) and that you'll never root for a Hawk is patently ridiculous.

Well DD played about 60 games at Gonzaga I saw about 20 I have never once said he was bad in college or that I wouldn't have picked him. Not 29 but probably 35. I am simply tired of the hype around him he isn't great he is okay maybe good. He certainly isnt a superstar. But I am slowly begining to hate the guy because so many people are talking him up for no good reason. Next Stockton, Price, a short Larry Bird. We all know why he is compared to these players but it is ridiculous. Let him play a season then talk smack.

As for berating his conference I will say as a former SEC athelete the difference in the SEC, ACC, Big East, Big 10, Pac 10, Big 12 and maybe Conference USA is huge. HBCUs in the MEAC/SWAC have complained that all the players that would they would recruit, no competition, on an even playing field are going to the GT,UGA,UF, Ohio states of the world, because they have better facilities and more national exposure. As such they only get the second tier atheletes. Gonzaga is no exception their conference is a cupcake conference, any team in that league including Gonzaga would finish in the middle of the pack in the SEC, maybe lower.

once again the point was that they played many games outside of their conference... didn't play any SEC teams but they certainly defeated Virginia of the mighty ACC in the tournament...

middle of the pack in the SEC is not bad at all! So basically that is putting gonzaga behind kentucky, florida, georgia, alabama...it is a tough as hell basketball conference certainly in the top 3 (arguably they were the best conference last year)...

I believe that their highest seed was #12 as well...

once again he was voted first team all american as well and I didn't see any asterisks beside his name...

I've never seen Dan Dickau's name attached to a byline of any articles either... he doesn't write them, why hate the playa?

Well I never said Dickau would do nothing.I am hoping that

he will fill the Vaughn role.I expect Dan to get 25MPG atleast

and I am fine with that and I think he his deserving of that

25MPG.

I just don't feel a trade is needed.And to trade JT for another

SG also means we have lost confidence in DJ then you have to

really start questioning him being picked at 6th if that happens.JT

being traded is a bad sign in more ways that one.

I usally expect late first rounders to contribute as decent as backups

and maybe some starts when we play a team like NO.

The hype and stuff makes me sick.ESP when the guy hasn't done

anything.

This is in reference to Hotlantadude's statement. You asked how does a PF like Shareff have almost 4turnovers a game.Well it is quit simple for one he still plays like a Small Forward in that he likes to take his man of the dribble and drive to the hole. Another reason might be that he got double all the time last season and no one made themselves available for him to pass the ball out to. Man who do you like? You don't like Dan, You don't talk highly of Reef anymore, you hate Kruger and Babs. Are you sure your a Hawks fan?

You don't like Dan, You don't talk highly of Reef anymore,"

I'm just saying 4 TO's a game is alot for a PF.He will have to

improve on that this season.His poor ball handling does need

to improve.It will make him alot better player also.People aren't

scared of him off the dribble because they know he is turnover

prone.If he can prove there he is about as dangerous as offensive

player can be.

shareef is a low post player, the reason he drives so often is because he is constantly being abuse down low (double team & triple team) with either no calls or no one to pass to.

if u guys have seen him in his rookie season, u will know how good his low post game is (1 on 1). his baseline spin move is better than kg's webber's shaq's rasheed's ... basically anyone in the nba. his second year in the league, when teams know double (triple) team him on a night in and night out basis, shareef struggled. but not for long, after around 5 to 8 games, he brings in a little turn around jump hook (the one he uses now). then he start making those 18-20 footers in his third season i believe. every season, his defense improves. his passing skills hasn't improve but every once in a while, he passes like magic. his ball handling has always been a problem (my suggestion is don't let him drive). if he has to drive, make him drive to the baseline where he is more comfortable, and when he turns the ball over, it is likely to be out of bounds rather than a fast break by his opponents.

this year shareef should stay in the low post area more than last year as he will get less attention and more shooters to pass to.