• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Out of Curiosity...for those with better memories

Weez

• Premium Member

Off the tip of my brain, I want to say..

Lamar Odom?

Chicago had cried Lamar Odom for Months...

Then at the last minute, they took Elton Brand....

Then Vancouver took Steve Francis (Damn BK)... And Odom Free fell to the Clipps.

I think it was Tim Floyd who came out and did the dirty work.. He said " Brand was a Character guy"..

Now..

If I'm Elton Brand, this makes me feel like Sloppy Seconds. I wasn't picked because I'm the best talent. I'm picked because of my citizenship? Strangely enough, they shipped Brand to the Clipps to be with Odom?

It's hard to remember if Grant Hill was ever really considered for the first pick over Glen Robinson at any point during the 1993 draft. It also seems that Derrick Coleman was the consensus top pick in 1990 draft, but Billy Owens's name popped up in my head for some reason.

I think when you look at the history of the draft, there has been more consensus top picks than not.

I seem to remember that Chicago was going back and forth on Brand and Francis during that draft. Plus, that was 1999, and BK was still in the Pacers front office during that draft. He did not draft Steve Francis. He was part of the decision making that made the move for Jonathan Bender though.

• Premium Member

I can look it up, but I'm sure... Positive that Chicago had Odom...

It was like a draft day decision to take Brand. Everybody consider Odom the cream of that crop... Brand was good, but he was considered short until the measurements came out.

Let me see...

Try this...

Quote:

The Chicago Bulls, in making the first selection in the draft, overlooked Rhode Island forward Lamar Odom and opted for Duke forward Elton Brand. Odom was considered the premier talent in the draft but has character flaws. Brand, certainly another player with game, is considered to be a much more solid citizen off the court.

Elton Brand was selected No. 1 by the Bulls.

Bulls general manager Jerry Krause made reference to that fact after adding a major piece that he hopes will return the team to prominence.

"It was a very tough decision," said Krause. "There are several great players in the draft. We just came to the decision as an organization that he'll be an outstanding player.

"He's a character guy. We feel strong about him as a person."

Bulls coach Tim Floyd acknowledged that team personnel did debate Brand vs. Odom. Well, sort of.

"It was a tough decision, but not really that tough when you look at Elton Brand and all his qualities," said Floyd.

The Bulls were not the only ones who passed on Odom, who fell to the Los Angeles Clippers at No. 4.

At No. 2, Vancouver selected Maryland guard Steve Francis, considered the most tradable player in the draft. The Grizzlies went into the draft looking to trade for a veteran power forward.