• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New BK Interview - 5 questions

Lascar78

As one might expect, Hawks GM Billy Knight is playing things close to the vest as the 2005 NBA Draft draws near. Still, with all of the speculation about what the Hawks might do with the #2 pick (and beyond), Hawks.com sat down with the man who will call the shots on draft night to see what he is thinking:

Hawks.com: We are just a few days before the draft, what is your mindset right now?

Billy Knight: Still looking for a good player. I think we will be able to get a good player at #2. I am happy with the four prospects we’ve had in, and the good thing is Milwaukee can only take one player. That will leave the rest for us to choose from, so I am confident we will get someone we like.

Hawks.com: Do you pay attention at all to the mock drafts and draft rumors out there?

BK: I don’t pay attention to any of that. Mock drafts are usually done by people who have no draft picks. They usually haven’t played basketball before, so, I really don’t pay much attention. I read the paper every day, but that stuff doesn’t interest me.

Hawks.com: Do you particularly enjoy the draft? Or is it just part of the job?

BK: Well, I enjoy what I do, period. The draft is a lot of work; you have to do a lot of research, lot of investigating, trying to accumulate as much information as you can, and then hopefully you make some logically induced conclusion.

Hawks.com: Does the new collective bargaining agreement change your draft plans at all?

BK: No, not really. We are a young rebuilding team. We have a lot of young guys already, and we hope to add at least two more – hopefully more with the #59 pick as well. We are confident we will add two players to our roster for next year, and with that last pick maybe we will get someone who we can send to the developmental league or to Europe. But regardless, we want to take someone with that pick who we like, regardless of where he might play next year.

Hawks.com: How have the individual meetings gone with the top prospects you have brought in?

BK: It’s been fine. No problems, and we didn’t expect to have any problems. We are pleased with the guys - they are all quality young people and good players. It’s going to be a good player we take at #2.

Micah Hart is the Assistan

They don't tell you anything you already know, and if they tell you something you usually speculate that it is some kind of conspiracy.

Anyway you were right about them being on nbadraft.net

That is crazy that they use the same info as the rest of the world.

Draft_Center_2004-500.jpg

Quote:

The draft is a lot of work; you have to do a lot of research, lot of investigating, trying to accumulate as much information as you can, and then hopefully you make some logically induced conclusion.

Yeah I can imagine the draft has to be one of the toughest parts of the whole job. Lots and lots of pressure to get it right and not screw up, and with a really bad team and the #2 pick I believe that pressure just increases. If that guy busts, then you're REALLY gonna be screwed. I don't envy BK's job much. It's a very difficult gig.

I wonder how much of drafting comes down to just good old gut instinct? I think a lot of it if not all of it just has to, in the end. Because you can't read the future, and you don't know...so you take a leap of faith, cross your fingers and hope and pray for the best.