My prediction for this draft

ggp

I am one of the guys backing the drafting of a PG with our first pick. However, I have a very strong feeling that BK and the front office has finally tipped their hand. A struggling NBA franchise needs to use all the marketing it can muster to attract fans.

It is my belief that BK and company have already alerted the AJC of their choice. The reason I say this is the recent article in the AJC:

With M. Williams, Hawks could get 'a lion'

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/27/05

NEW YORK — Marvin Williams has a tattoo across the top of his back, spreading the length of his broad shoulders, that reads "Heart of A Lion."

Like his ferocious side, that tattoo is never seen because his clothes hide it.

Associated Press

(ENLARGE)

Marvin Williams' talent is 'scary,' says Sean May.

EMAIL THIS

PRINT THIS

MOST POPULAR

But it's that burning desire to be great that drives the 19-year-old Williams, who could be Hawks property Tuesday night if he's picked, as most project, with the second pick in the NBA draft.

"I'll go get a tattoo before I go to the dentist," Williams said with a playful smile. "I hate going to the dentist."

That tattoo is part of the intriguing contradiction that has come to define Williams up until this point. He's a humble and eloquent teenager who defers to his elders everywhere but on the playing floor, where he's shown glimpses of his immense talent and seemingly endless potential.

Considered a complete talent and the most gifted player in the entire draft, he's also, per his coaches at North Carolina, one of the hardest working players they've ever had. He's as tenacious as he is likeable.

If it were up to his teammate at North Carolina, Final Four MVP Sean May, the Hawks would never get a shot to pick Williams.

"If I'm Milwaukee, I'm taking Marvin Williams," said May, himself a likely lottery pick. "For Milwaukee, it's probably better for them right now to take Andrew [bogut]. But if it's me, I'm taking the kid. If you want an immediate impact, you go with Andrew because he can come in and play right away. Marvin, it may take a little more time, but in the end . . ."

The Hawks could use both, an immediate contributor and a potential star. They could also use a point guard, of which there will be plenty in this draft, and dead-eye outside shooter. But that's what free agency is for.

Unless they swing a deal or buy a pick, both possibilities, they'll only get one shot to get it right early in this draft.

"I can tell you with certainty that we're going to get a good player with our pick," Hawks general manager Billy Knight said late last week after watching both Williams and Bogut, as well as projected top picks Chris Paul and Deron Williams, all work out at Philips Arena. "I was impressed with all the guys we brought in. They all showed me some things that I hadn't seen prior to those workouts."

The usually laid-back Marvin Williams showed off his obvious athleticism, but he also displayed a smooth shooting stroke that few knew he had as a freshman sixth man on the Tar Heels' national championship team.

May admitted that Williams was without a doubt the most talented player on a team that could yield four high first-round picks Tuesday — Williams, May, point guard Raymond Felton and shooting guard Rashad McCants, and a fifth in the second round, senior forward Jawad Williams, who started in front of Marvin Williams.

"The thing I like about him is that he could have come into the NBA out of high school and been a top 10 pick, but he's probably one of the most humble people you'll ever meet. You don't want a kid with a huge ego."

But what about a kid with a huge appetite for contact and an even larger desire to do the dirty work on a team that won 13 games last season?

The Hawks are building around a nucleus that already includes three players — Al Harrington, Josh Childress and Josh Smith — whose skills appear to be similar to those of Williams. A point guard is as big a need as another combo forward, and a legitimate big man is what nearly every NBA team searches for this time of year.

Yet there's solid reasoning for drafting a player similar to what you already have. Phoenix won a league-best 62 games this past season playing with league MVP Steve Nash running the show and Amare Stoudemire manning the post and Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson all filling in various capacities from shooting guard to small forward.

It is obvious that the marketing machine is running. I hope Marvin works out for us. Maybe we can draft a steal of a PG in the second round.

Quote:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h...05/27draft.html

That's a great article, and to print an article like that, I believe the AJC has to have an idea that Atlanta will draft and keep Marvin Williams.

I also just can't see Billy Knight passing on a player like this.

My feelings exactly. Moving on to the second round, we can draft Nate Robinson, Aaron Miles or Orien Harris. Any preferences?

Quote:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h...05/27draft.html

That's a great article, and to print an article like that, I believe the AJC has to have an idea that Atlanta will draft and keep Marvin Williams.

I also just can't see Billy Knight passing on a player like this.

While I agree that we're taking Williams or Bogut, I don't think that AJC has any insight. I don't think anyone has insight into the tightly sealed world of BK

I still say, just like others have said here. If we do end with Marvin, try really hard to trade harrington on draft night to take Jarrett Jack. We will be set for years and years.....all we need is a center and we can work that out in free agency.

At 31, I would take Nate. From NBADraft.net:

"Strengths: World class athlete... Simply on another plane with everyone else athletically... 42 inch vertical leap and 4.4- 40 yard dash speed... Very strong... Get’s to the hole at will... Able to finish at the rim well because of strength and jumping ability... A jitterbug... Constantly moving... Solid defender who is rarely beat off the dribble... Extremely quick hands and is always in the passing lanes... Rebounds well for his size... Excellent at positioning himself around the hoop... Decent ballhandler who plays at top speeds for the full game... Excellent condition... Rarely tires and excels at the end of games when most players are fatigued.... Does whatever it takes to win... Fearless... Doesn’t back down from anyone... Has a killer instinct... Excellent in the open court as he has great court vision and often finds teammates with nifty dishes... Also played defense and returned kicks for the UW football team... Decided to focus on basketball his sophomore year, but rumors are circulating that he will return to the gridiron... Possible NFL future....

Weaknesses: Listed at 5-9, but is closer to 5-7... Shot is questionable at this point... Inconsistent at times... Often get’s too wild and tries to do too much, but when he plays within himself he can do great things... More of a scorer than a shooter right now... Needs to distribute the ball more... Height along with shot are the biggest issues..."

-------------

He improved his 3-pt shot quite a bit last year. He was the heart of a team at Washington that went overnight from one of the worst in the West to a nationally ranked team. But very short and can be taken advantage of by taller guards, otherwise he'd be a first rounder.

I'd let him and Diaw play tag-team.

yeti

(yeah - I'm a Nate fan. I like watching these little guys dunk.)