• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thursday Insider

Are you ready for

a Kings-Nets NBA Finals?

by Chad Ford

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: Mike Bibby ready to take one-year deal? | Sonics, Lewis go back to the table | The search is over . . . | Peep Show

Note: NBA Insider Chad Ford will be chatting live on ESPN.com today at 1 p.m. E.T. Click here to submit your questions.

It looks like Insider isn't the only one back from vacation. . .

After another slow week of sitting on the beach and watchin the waves roll in, a couple of major free-agent signings Wednesday should have a major impact on quest to topple the Lakers.

The Kings' signing of Keon Clark to a one-year, $4.5 million contract (with a player option for another year) and the Nets' signing of Rodney Rogers to a three-year, $9 million deal clearly set apart Sacramento and New Jersey as the teams to beat, on paper that is, for the 2002-03 season.

How can the Kings be favored when Kobe and Shaq are getting fitted for their third championship rings? Putting questions about Shaq's toe and shady officiating in the Western Conference Finals aside for the moment, Clark gives the Kings a major boost in the area they needed the most help — shot blocking. The Kings ranked just 21st in the league in blocked shots last season. With center Vlade Divac getting set to apply for an AARP card, Clark's athleticism should be a major boost to the Kings.

His rebounding alone should make the Kings the best boarding team in the NBA. Clark averaged a career-high 7.4 rebounds per game last season in just 27 minutes. He also averaged a career high in scoring (11.3 ppg) and averaged 1.5 blocked shots per game. The move now makes the Kings a legitimate 10 players deep. A bench of Clark, Bobby Jackson, Hido Turkoglu, Scot Pollard and Gerald Wallace should be among the best in the league.

The signing should be a major blow to the Lakers, who desperately needed a player like Clark to upgrade their frontcourt. A series of blunders over the last year cost the Lakers a chance to make a run at Clark. The Lakers' decision not to make pick up their option on Devean George last fall meant that they had to use their full mid-level exception to re-sign George this summer. Had they picked up his option, the Lakers would have retained their Bird rights with George and been able to save their mid-level exception for someone like Clark.

"The Lakers really blew it," one team executive told Insider. "Not only did they misjudge George's value, but they pulled the trigger too fast in re-signing him. Had they stalled a little longer [five days in fact], like everyone else is doing, Clark would've fallen into their laps. As much as I like George, the Lakers really needed to shore up their front line. I think Clark is the final piece of the puzzle for Sacramento. If [Mike] Bibby picks up where he left off next season, they'll be unbeatable."

If Kings are now the heir apparent to the Western Conference throne, the Nets have solidified their hold on the East. The trade for Dikembe Mutombo should make them one of the top, if not the best, defensive teams in the NBA. The signing of Rogers gives them a versatile player who, at the very least, will give them a long-distance shooter to cover the loss of Keith Van Horn. Last year, Rogers shot 41 percent from behind the arc in a Celtics uniform. Van Horn shot just 34 percent. When the Celtics and Nets met in the Eastern Conference Finals, Rogers shot a sizzling 51 percent from three while Van Horn sunk just 37 percent of his tries.

The signing, however, is yet another major blow to the Celtics. "Honestly, I would have preferred he signed elsewhere," GM Chris Wallace told the Boston Globe.

There was the understatement of the year. It was hard enough to let Rogers slip away because Boston owner Paul Gaston refused to take even a small hit from the NBA luxury tax. But now the Celtics' refusal to spend has dramatically improved a team that outplayed them last season in the Eastern Conference Finals. While the Celtics remain convinced that Vin Baker is the answer to their woes in the middle and that second-year player Kedrick Brown is ready to give them a much-needed boost of athleticism, the loss of Rogers will haunt them.

The addition of Rogers, along with Mutombo and veteran point guard Chris Childs, gives the Nets three key additions. However, it is the rapid development of second-year swingman Richard Jefferson that could be the knockout blow. Jefferson's combination of athleticism, court savvy and defensive prowess turned just about everyone's head at the Shaw Summer League. In other words, the Nets have kept their blinding speed, and added some much-needed brawn to balance the equation. If the Nets stay healthy, a return to the NBA Finals looks like a given.

Which brings us to the big question: Should we brace ourselves for a Nets-Kings NBA Finals next spring? One Nets team official told Insider there is a method to their madness.

"We didn't trade for Mutombo and chase Rogers with the idea that they're the silver bullet that can topple the Lakers. We're crossing our fingers that the Kings do it for us. They were dangerously close last year. I think it's just a matter of time. I don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but I think we've put together a team that would give the Kings a real scare. It would be a great series to watch."

Indeed it would. Jason Kidd versus Mike Bibby? Chris Webber vs. Kenyon Martin? Divac vs. Mutombo? Peja Stojakovic vs. Rogers? Turkoglu vs. Jefferson? Doug Christie vs. Kerry Kittles? That's why I still love this game.

Still, L.A. Times columinist J.A. Adande writes that it's too early to write off the Lakers.

"On the court, the top competition comes from the Sacramento Kings. That would be the case whether or not they signed Clark. But bringing him to Sacramento doesn't change the hierarchy in the Western Conference. . . Clark does provide a better scoring threat than current backup big man Scot Pollard, who looked as if he needed a hand-held Global Positioning System to find the basket during the Western Conference finals. But when it comes to stopping O'Neal, Clark brings the same to the table as Pollard: six fouls. Other than that, he can't offer much more of a defense. Have you ever seen his calf muscles? Skinniest in the league. They look like a couple of extra-long pens."

Come June, Shaq's Toe, Clark Won't Matter

J.A. Adande / Los Angeles Times

Keon's a King

Scott Howard-Cooper / Sacramento Bee

Rogers Fills Nets' Long-Range Need

Steve Popper / New York Times

Rogers signs on with New Jersey

Shira Springer / Boston Globe

Mike Bibby ready to take one-year deal?

The afterglow surrounding the Kings' coup of Keon Clark may be short lived. Negotiations with star point guard Mike Bibby are moving slowly and the most recent talk has Bibby agreeing to a one-year contract and becoming an unrestricted free agent next summer.

The Kings have been trying to get Bibby to agree on a seven-year contract in the $70 million range. Given the market, that number is not outrageous. However, recent extensions by Baron Davis and Shawn Marion for the max complicate things.

According to the Sacramento Bee, Bibby's agent, David Falk is seeking a similar max contract that could pay Bibby upwards of $100 million — a huge chunk of change for a guy who averaged just 13.7 ppg and 5 apg. Even his playoff numbers, 20.3 ppg and 5 apg on 44 percent shooting, don't really warrant max money.

Still, Falk is Falk, which means he'll go out of his way to make the Kings pay. The addition of Clark only weakens the Kings' contention that the Maloof brothers are worried about the luxury tax.

"It's an ongoing negotiation, and I think we're going to continue to try and reach an endpoint there," GM Geoff Petrie told the Sacramento Bee. "We think that's a very separate negotiation and not connected to this [Clark's signing] at all, in the sense that Joe and Gavin have decided that they're going to do the best they can to make this team as good as they can while the opportunity is here to do it."

Still, owner Joe Maloof thinks that things will work themselves out.

"Bibby wants to stay a King. We know that," Maloof told the Bee. "We want him to stay a King. We're going to continue our talks with David Falk and do the best we can."

And, if the Kings can bring Bibby back in the fold? "I think that, with him, we have one of the greatest teams ever assembled," Maloof said. "I do. I think we could win 65 games, don't you?"

Latest talk -- 1-year deal for Bibby

Mark Kreidler / Sacramento Bee

Sonics, Lewis go back to the table

It looks like the impasse between Rashard Lewis and the Sonics is finally dissolving. It's becoming apparent to Lewis that the Sonics aren't willing to entertain serious sign-and-trade discussions (a combination of Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash or Michael Finley doesn't even broach reality), and it's also becoming clear that Lewis doesn't want to sign in Dallas, or anywhere else for that matter, for the mid-level exception.

He wants his big contract, the Sonics want him to stay . . can't we all get along?

The Seattle Times is reporting in today's editions that Lewis has agreed to restart contract negotiations with the Sonics this week. According to the Times, this time Lewis will travel to Seattle to meet with the team.

Two weeks ago, the Sonics dispatched a five-man crew that included owner Howard Schultz and president Wally Walker to Houston to meet with Lewis, but talks stalled when the Sonics refused to budge from their seven-year, $60 million contract.

While Lewis has maintained publicly that he would sign with either the Mavs or the Rockets if the Sonics did not increase their offer, it's becoming clearer that Lewis is stalling in hopes that he can work out something with Seattle.

Lewis, Sonics to meet again

Percy Allen / Seattle Times

The search is over . . .

One of the longest coaching searches in recent memory is set to come to an end this week when the Nuggets announce the hiring of assistant Jeff Bzdelik as their new head coach.

Why, exactly, did it take Kiki Vandeweghe and crew four months to figure out that the guy for the job was a guy who couldn't even get the interim head coaching job when Dan Issel resigned in mid-season?

Donnie Nelson Jr., Eddie Jordan, Phil Johnson, Tubby Smith and Del Harris all said no. So instead, the Nuggets went with Bzdelik, a Pat Riley disciple who stresses discipline and conditioning above all else.

"I guarantee you we will implement the cornerstones of success for a basketball team. Professionalism is No. 1. And that's something I don't think the Nuggets have had enough of in recent years," Bzdelik told the Denver Post. "What is professionalism? Understanding that basketball is a 24/7 job. Tucking in your shirt. Being on time. Every day. I'll be honest with you, I believe in putting pressure on players right away. And it will be tough love."

Bzdelik is quickly marking his territory. He's threatened to bench any player who doesn't completely buy into his system. And he's promising an relentless, up-tempo style that has Post columnist Mark Kiszla giddy.

"With a passion that absolutely crackles, Bzdelik makes bold guarantees underlined with in-your-face intensity. Denver will have the best-conditioned athletes in the NBA. Guaranteed. The team will play a desperate, unrelenting, aggressively up-tempo style. Guaranteed. Neither rookie Nikoloz Tskitishvili nor Nene Hilario will ever be allowed to use youth as an excuse for failure. Guaranteed. Bzdelik is the hire for all those fans sick and tired of the Nuggets not caring how lousy this franchise has become nearly as much as the paying customers do."

Nugs need Bzdelik's 'tough love'

Mark Kiszla / Denver Post

At long last, Nuggets to hire Bzdelik

Paula Parrish / Rocky Mountain News

Peep Show

Blazers: Arvydas Sabonis informed the Blazers on Wednesday that he has decided he wants to return to the NBA, and that he wants that return to be in Portland. "[sabonis] has decided he wants to return to the NBA, if I can work out an acceptable contract with the Blazers," agent Herb Rudoy told the Oregonian. According to the paper, Sabonis is looking for a one-year contract worth $6 million to $8 million. "We told him we would love to have him back," GM Bob Whitsitt said. "So this is good news from the standpoint that we get to go to the next step. So I'm having discussions with them to see if we can get a mutually agreeable contract."

Jazz: Negotiations between Donyell Marshall and the Jazz "have hit a brick wall," Marshall's agent, Dwight Manley, told the Salt Lake Tribune. "The ball is in the Jazz's court," Manley said. If Utah does not offer more money, "Donyell will not sign with the Jazz." The Bulls are the latest team to show interest in Marshall. Marshall flew to Chicago on Tuesday to work out for the Bulls. His agent said the tour "was very appealing. Donyell likes their organization and the direction they are headed," Manley said. He would not reveal whether a contract offer had been made, but the Bulls are over the salary cap and cannot offer Marshall more than the $4.5 million exception.

Wizards: Here's another shocking NBA arrest story. Jared Jeffries was cited July 20 by an Indiana conservation officer for catching and keeping too many striped bass, the Indianapolis Star reported. Jeffries was cited for keeping more than the daily limit of two striped bass, a Class C misdemeanor. Tuesday, he paid a $150 fine and entered Monroe County's pretrial diversion program. That will teach him.

Sabonis wants to be a Blazer again

Jason Quick / The Oregonian

Marshall-Jazz Negotiations Hit 'Brick Wall'

Phil Miller / Salt Lake Tribune

Jeffries fined for fish

Staff / Indianapolis Star

Chad Ford continues.I'm sure the Lakers are shivering over

the fact that the Kings got Keon Clark.Keon is really gunna

shut Shaq down.lol

Clark isn't going to do anything besides me another backup.

The Kings still aren't likely to be the Lakers.It isn't going

to happen.I know people want to hold out hope,but Sac

Town will have to wait until Shaq retires.