• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

There is no absolute formula to winning guys......

emeans

Quote:

Quote:

Yes he would because his philosphy is get the best talent available, regardless of position.

Oh.. That's why he passed up Jameer Nelson last year and Deron Williams this year?

this really makes no sense

he thought that smoove was a better talent than nelson and he thought that marvin was a better talent than deron, which is why he got the former instead of the latter...

why are you using those 2 illogical examples?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anybody believed Manu was the EuroKobe Bryant then why:

Drafted: 1999 by San Antonio Spurs, Second Round, No. 57 overall after Tim Young and before Eddie Lucas.

I am not saying any of our players are as talented as Manu, I am just saying let Woodson do some player development and lets see --- I hope he can make one of our guards Ivey, Lue, Childress, Diaw or Salim a baller, like Popovich did with Manu and Tony Parker.

AH needs to be here one more year to add veteran leadership however after that you are right somethings got to give --- yes a three man rotation of AL, MW and JS would be nice but not likely --- egos would eventually surface. However if they did co-exist and we added a big like a Eddie Curry then instantly we have enough talent on the roster to make the playoffs --- depends on Woodsons skills

on the one hand, they could each play 32mpg in a 3-forward rotation...

on the other, one couldn't start, so which has the smallest ego...

on the other hand, whichever didn't start would be a perennial 6th man of the year winner

on the other, we can't pay each of them 8+mil/year...that'd be 1/2 our payroll on 2 positions...

if chill/smoove/marvin/al/salim all pan out and all stayed, we'd be looking at 35mil/year on those players alone

we'd only have 12 or so mil left for pg and center (2 most important positions) AND the rest of the bench and draft picks...

although i suppose that we could spend 8mil on a center, 4 mil on bench players, and then mle on the pg...plus u can go over to resign your own players...

so it could work, but i just can't see spending that much on 2 positions...

would be nice to always have 2 all-star caliber forwards on the court...plus salim off the bench...we would never be weak during the game

Quote:

If anybody believed Manu was the EuroKobe Bryant then why:

Drafted: 1999 by San Antonio Spurs, Second Round, No. 57 overall after Tim Young and before Eddie Lucas.

I am not saying any of our players are as talented as Manu, I am just saying let Woodson do some player development and lets see --- I hope he can make one of our guards Ivey, Lue, Childress, Diaw or Salim a baller, like Popovich did with Manu and Tony Parker.

H*ll if I know. I just remember what some people where

saying. The idea had to come from somewhere. Oh, I

was talking about fans... I think some of them were

overseas too. It's been a few years. Just what I

remember and sure enough I was one of the guys that

was laughing my @ss off.

Lue and Ivey aren't talented enough to be starters. You

need to just realise this. Lue was coached by Phil Jackson

and Jeff Van Gundy. It isn't like he has had a run of

bad coaches. Ivey... Seen him last year.... He just

isn't anything more than a 12MPG backup.

I don't know about Sailm... Diaw has the skills to be

a pretty decent player, but it doesn't look like Wood

son did anything for him last year. It's not discredit

to Woodson. Some of these guys just aren't talented

enough.

We are not going to agree on this --- I am putting faith in Woodsons player development skills and you are basically saing Ivey and Lue won't improve ---- I remember Lue doing some pretty magic things under Phil Jackson, coaches make a difference --- Particlarly with Ivey and Diaw I am going to see what Woodson can do --- I will give you Lue as a average talent --- I just differ in that I think he is not a bad Point Guard if he has the right ballers around him ---Josh and Marvin aren't a bad tandem to start with

Quote:

We are not going to agree on this --- I am putting faith in Woodsons player development skills and you are basically saing Ivey and Lue won't improve ---- I remember Lue doing some pretty magic things under Phil Jackson, coaches make a difference --- Particlarly with Ivey and Diaw I am going to see what Woodson can do --- I will give you Lue as a average talent --- I just differ in that I think he is not a bad Point Guard if he has the right ballers around him ---Josh and Marvin aren't a bad tandem to start with

Lue great things? Like holding onto Iversons jersey?

Lue played with Tmac in Orlando and the results are

what they where for the hawks this year. You don't

win very many with Lue as your starting PG. Simple

as that. Mainly because Lue is a really bad defensive

player.... Some of that is due to his small frame.

Of course we aren't going to agree... You seem to think

any decent coach can make any player good. Personally I

think that is just alittle crazy.

Our scouts went to see Salim play many times (more than any other team scouts). They know Salim better than anyone else in the NBA. Our scouts were looking for a player that could handle the PG position in our offense. That is why they drafted Salim.

Salim was an extraordinary SG for Arizona. He was told to take the shots and leave distribution to someone else. I admit that I am concerned when we draft a 6-1 SG, but if BK and his scouts call him a PG, then I believe.

Salim will put points on the board and is said to have the talent to run the point. If it takes him a couple of seasons to develop into a solid PG, then we will all have to be patient. I like the pick.

WhPopovich taken two guards in the late 1st and 2nd round and winning a championsip?

What is crazy abot Mike Woodson taking the raw tallent of Royal Ivey, Boris Diaw and Salim Stoudamire and developing them into good ballers?

What is Crazy about a numerous number of players that look good under one coach and awful under another? examples are BJ Armstrong, Steve Kerr, Jermaine O,neal

The point is coaches don't make all the difference yes you must have talent, however don't underestimate what a coaches scheme, game plan and the ability to teach the game can do to make a marginal player a good player --- with the young team let us hope Woodson does.

Quote:

WhPopovich taken two guards in the late 1st and 2nd round and winning a championsip?

What is crazy abot Mike Woodson taking the raw tallent of Royal Ivey, Boris Diaw and Salim Stoudamire and developing them into good ballers?

What is Crazy about a numerous number of players that look good under one coach and awful under another? examples are BJ Armstrong, Steve Kerr, Jermaine O,neal

The point is coaches don't make all the difference yes you must have talent, however don't underestimate what a coaches scheme, game plan and the ability to teach the game can do to make a marginal player a good player --- with the young team let us hope Woodson does.

That's the thing.....Ivey doesn't have much raw talent.

Not enough to be more than a 15MPG backup.

What about the numerous players these guys have on their

rosters that don't do anything? What did Greg do for

Linton Johnson? Sean Marks? How has he improved Rasho?

Nobody knows how good O'Neal was or wasn't because he

was on a team with too much depth. Besides, he had his

first breakout season when Zeke was the Indy coach. You

think Zeke made O'Neal so much better and was a really

good coach?

Not going to argue about Stoudamire cause I have no

idea how talented he is or isn't. About Boris, MW

didn't really do much for him last year.

Yes I agree San Antonio found hidden talent --- however Manu averaged 8 points his first year and Tony Parker was not nearly the PG he is now --- the GM does not develop a player but a coach does. My point is if Mike Woodson is a good player developer like Pop he will get more out of Ivey, Diaw and the rest of the young team than the previous administration Terry and Lon Kruger --- in fact we better hope so because the Hawks have serious player development to do with Childress, Smoove, MW and Stoudamire.

I've been as big a TP fan as there is due to his being French, but he has barely improved since he came in the league. He has gotten more confident in his shot, and learned that changing paces is better than going full speed the whole time, but he's basically the same guy that he was on day one. He won a championship his first year.

Foreign players usually have a big barrier their first year when they try to adjust to the american style of play then improve vastly when (if) they figure out how to fit in. I think that's what you see in Manu.

I don't think Pop has much to do with this at all. He's a great coach with xs and os, and gameday adjustments, but he's not known as a teacher, as far as individual skills go. Pop is great at implementing a system, not teaching individual skills.

A great teaching coach can improve his players, but I don't think Pop does too much of that. I think Woody is supposed to be much more of a teacher than Pop is.

I'm still undecided on Woody. I want him to show progress this year with his substitution patterns, and I want it to be clear that we are running a particular kind of offense. Last year we had no go-to plays and seem to just wait and see if any easy shots would magically appear. I understand the team was horrible, but I want to start seeing cohesion this year