• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting stuff on Cenk Akyol

KB21

2003 European Cadets

Quote:

2. Cenk Akyol (Turkey) PG/SG, 6-4, 4/16/1987, Efes Pilsen

14.5 points, 4.7 rebounds, 3.0 assists

Cenk Akyol

A special, different player. Behind the boyish appearance hides a born winner, a leader who set the standard for runner-up Turkey. He is a natural shooting guard, although he also has become a good point guard thanks to his excellent vision and capacity of leadership, and despite not having great leaping ability and certain lack of speed, which perhaps restricts to him to being a SG in the future. Leader in assists of the tournament, he's very adept at creating baskets for teammates on the break or off the dribble drive (he is of the few players that when driving, even in the air, thinks more about passing than scoring). He is a streaky shooter, but he connects on the most important and difficult shots. His defense is suspect and it he's not too good in 1-on-1, but he has a special ability to anticipate passes and to turn them easy baskets on the counterattack.

akyol03.jpg

Well, that report was written when he was 16 as well.

This is a player who is 18 years old right now. Atlanta will probably keep him in Europe till he's 21 or 22 and just see what happens with him.

As the Hawks accumulate more talent on the roster, you will likely see Billy Knight make more picks like this in the second round...i.e...drafting a young European player just to see if they develop.

Look at what San Antonio has done by doing that. Manu Ginobili was the second to last pick of the draft back in 1998 or 1999. They will be bringing Luis Scola over next year.

As far as the Hawks are concerned, I believe David Andersen is ready to be brought over. It will take a pretty good contract to get him though, because CSKA Moscow pays him very well.

The thing with this Akyol guy is this. He is a 6'5" combo guard with some skills at a young age. If he pans out and becomes a reserve player in the NBA, then this is a great pick. If he never develops and the Hawks relinquish their rights to him down the road, it was just the 59th pick.

Getting David Anderson to come and play with the team would in a way be like getting a extra draft pick this year although he was drafted 3years ago. I day give him about 1.3million for this year to play with the team.

Well, hell. I didn't see that post.

This is what Billy had to say about Akyol:

Quote:

"We think he is a good basketball player. He can play a bunch of different positions. He is a young kid with a bunch of upside. We think he can play some one, some two, and some three. He will be playing in the European championships this summer as well as Boris Diaw, so we will get a chance when we are over there to talk to him and watch him work and develop."

"He will probably stay in Europe for the coming year, this is definitely a pick we are looking at getting some long-term return on."

I'm starting to believe that Billy is a friggin genius when it comes to evaluating young talent. What a change from the idiot Babcock ways.