Instant gratification v. building a champion

ggp

• Premium Member

You can't tell me that players that were not on the roster when they went to the championship should matter..

They don't.

That's like if we were to go to the championship and winning it this year and you saying..

Dickau and Demarr had a lot to do with our success.

• Admin

KB talks like we're going to draft all these players, have a starting roster full of drafted players and 4-5 years down the road, when we should be at a point to contend, they will all still be here. IT doesn't work that way, it has NEVER worked that way and it WILL NEVER work that way.

I think he would rather us be in the lottery simply so we can draft this brewer guy that HE thinks is the answer.

Quote:

All I've seen is that you're willing to be in the lottery for two more years. Heck, you're not just willing, you want it that way. That does absolutely nothing to make us a future contender. Realistically it makes us into the Clippers east. By the time we're out of the lottery, the players that we intended to build around are sick of losing and are ready to go elsewhere.

We don't need the lottery any more. We have cap space and we have three extremely talented players to build around. We also have a very talented player in Al that could be traded to improve us further. The smart move is to focus on building around those guys, bringing in good players via trades and free agency and let our core learn how to win. You won't find out whether or not they have the potential to contend until you put them in a position to win. Hoping for the lottery is nothing more than an extension of the loser mentality we've been trying to shed.

No team with the cap space we have and the consecutive great drafts we've had has any business in hoping for the lottery for a third year. The only reason to do that is if the players we've taken aren't good enough to get it done. We won't know that until we put good players around them and see what they can do.

No, that is not what I am saying. We must be careful how we spend our considerable cap space. Jumping for a popular player can hurt if he coasts after the ink is dry. Curry is a big question mark. Jamal Magloire is a hard worker and a tough guy....he is the sort of player that can be signed to an extension and will continue to perform.

There are no top grade point guards in freee agency. Joe Johnson has the talent to be a PG, but he has been a SG so far. The same can be said for Salim.

I am saying that if we want to make a big splash in free agency, it should be done for players that are money in the bank. If there are no such players, then wait another year and develope the players that you draft.

No Impulse buying. Shop smart.

• Premium Member

Quote:

No, that is not what I am saying. We must be careful how we spend our considerable cap space. Jumping for a popular player can hurt if he coasts after the ink is dry. Curry is a big question mark. Jamal Magloire is a hard worker and a tough guy....he is the sort of player that can be signed to an extension and will continue to perform.

There are no top grade point guards in freee agency. Joe Johnson has the talent to be a PG, but he has been a SG so far. The same can be said for Salim.

I am saying that if we want to make a big splash in free agency, it should be done for players that are money in the bank. If there are no such players, then wait another year and develope the players that you draft.

No Impulse buying. Shop smart.

This is the key!!!!!!!! Pay for can't miss free agents at the the right time not projects!!