• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kwame Brown to LAL

Lakers And Wizards Agree To Kwame Trade

14th July, 2005 - 3:28 am

LA Times - The Lakers have taken another bold step to remake their roster, agreeing in principle on a trade that would bring forward-center Kwame Brown from the Washington Wizards and would send Caron Butler and likely Chucky Atkins to Washington.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The Lakers are one of two teams we want to play badly. They just traded a mediocre commodity for a career underachiever. I've had an intuition since Phil came on board that the Laker team is going to implode. He's Phil Jackson not a magician.

When Kobe went down last year, Caron put up near All-star numbers. This makes the Lakers weaker IMO.

This is not good for Atlanta. I honestly thought we were going to go after Kwame. He may be an underachiever, but the kid has talent and I thought a new environment would help that. Oh well....I guess we HAVE to sign Curry or Chandler now. No questions!!

If we don't we are going to get killed this year in the paint.

this sucks

i was kinda hoping we got him if we couldn't get daly/chandler/gad

now the only option is curry, who is lazy and maybe unhealthy and will be overpaid...and now the bulls know that we will need curry more than ever, so they won't just snt him for cheap...

btw, what's up with this offseason? everyone is gone before the period even starts...usually it takes much longer, but this year everyone has already agreed to terms with teams...if they aren't getting a max contract in the terms, then they should be waiting to see if they can't get more out of their team or another team

• Premium Member

Quote:

btw, what's up with this offseason? everyone is gone before the period even starts...usually it takes much longer, but this year everyone has already agreed to terms with teams...if they aren't getting a max contract in the terms, then they should be waiting to see if they can't get more out of their team or another team

Unfortunately, I think some of it has to do with the fact that the only team with significant spending money is Atlanta.

• Admin

yep, we'll see. if they get 10ppg from Kwame, and they have no big injuries like last year, they will make the playoffs as a 6-7 seed.

There isn't a better coach in the history of the game at taking guys with head problems and making them work. Phil and the Lakers have to be jumping for joy. realistically they traded a backup PG and caron butler for a #1 pick. Not just a #1 pick, but one that physically is developed far beyond an average #1 and one that has proven, albeit in limited bursts, that he can play at a very high level in this league.

We'll have to wait and see. But I suspect a lot of people are going to be scratching their heads saying "why couldn't we do that?".

The book on Kwame is that he tends to pout if he doesn't get enough shot attempts. With Kobe and Lamar Odom in front of him, he's going to be fighting for scraps. Also, Kobe will ride him like MJ did, which he didn't respond well to . Not a wise choice on Kwame's part.

I agree, the top 3 left are Daly/Curry/Chandler. Of those, Curry is the one we have the best chance of getting.

After that, we're looking at guys like Hunter, Diop, Skita & Zaza. I wouldn't mind Diop. He has some skill and he would come cheaply. He's kind of like a poor man's Curry. He is still young, but I've read he has attitude problems and is lazy. Maybe Woody could light a fire under him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

one that has proven, albeit in limited bursts, that he can play at a very high level in this league.

This, I disagree with. Unless by "limited" you mean stretches of 2 games amid 30 games of mediocrity. He's managed to put up a WHOPPING 10 double-doubles in his last 196 games.

He can be a good role player, but I can't see him developing into an offensive force with Kobe on his team. And he's not really that great of a rebounder or shotblocker either.

The Lakers will probably get 12/8 out of him this coming year, which isn't bad, but they're not dramatically improved.

Poor Kwame. He couldn't handle the MJ pressure, the pressure of the DC crowds. So now he gets to play in the low-stress setting of ... LA?? Poor Kwame. I see more folding, more crying.

I really didn't want him here, but a team like us would have been perfect for him.